Currently, the freeway merges down to four lanes immediately east of the Southwest Fwy interchange. The area has definitely outgrown its capacity by now. Are there any expansion plans in the works? I'm surprised there isn't more commotion, given that it will be a tolled project perfectly able to pay for itself.

• Like 1

Yea this section has been over capacity for a while during rush hour. It takes like 30 min just to get to S Main from the Southwest Fwy

It actually was at capacity within two years of it being finished like which appears to be the case for most new freeways in Houston. You are correct about that wait between Main and 59. It is insane.

• 3 weeks later...

After driving on the new Austin tollways this weekend for the first time, I realized just how antiquated our toll booths are here. In Austin, there are no cumbersome gates going up and down to worry about. You simply drive through if you have a toll tag. EVEN BETTER, those with a toll tag pay a discounted rate at every toll booth, not just the toll plazas. It makes sense. Those who take the time and effort to get a toll tag should get a discount.

Why are improvements like these so hard to implement here???

In Austin, there are no cumbersome gates going up and down to worry about. You simply drive through if you have a toll tag.

You know, we have that too - It's called "EZTAG" - In fact some routes in Houston, such as the Westpark Tollway, are EZTAG only.

The Harris County Toll Road Authority has the EZTAG signup here: https://www.hctra.org/eztagstore/home/updat...?url=/signup.do

EDIT: I found this:

"3. Why is the Sam Houston Tollway so antiquated? HCTRA should install drive-thru lanes without gates for those with EZ PASS at the exit/on-ramp tollbooths (like the ones on the Dallas North Tollway). Instead, we have to wait for the $&*#@^ gate to open."

I would have to go along the tollway to see instances of pass-through areas along the exits.

Edited by VicMan

You know, we have that too - It's called "EZTAG"

Yes, I know. I have an EZ Tag. I was referring to the exit/on ramps on the Sam Houston. There needs to be lanes dedicated solely to EZ Tag vehicles, which would negate the need for the gates going up and down.

Yes, I know. I have an EZ Tag. I was referring to the exit/on ramps on the Sam Houston. There needs to be lanes dedicated solely to EZ Tag vehicles, which would negate the need for the gates going up and down.

They're slowly converting them.

They're pretty slow with the EZ Tag conversions here. Northbound on the west belt is aggravating, with only two EZ Tag lanes. Also, the 249/Antoine exit needs a whole lot of help. It's only one lane, and full-service cash to boot.

They are re-building the entrance/exit toll plazas on the northwest section between 290 and 249 as they are doing the widening. As much as it would be nice if they made more mainlanes EzTag, the conventional toll lanes already back up quite a bit, even when the EzTag lanes are flowing freely.

That's their fault for not getting EZTags. I would've thought paying 25% more would dissuade them, along with guaranteed traffic jams.

They should honestly just make the entire system ez tag only. I drove out by 249 once on the beltway, cash payers back up into ez tag lane. :( If you don't travel the beltway much you don't need to be on it. I travel it once or twice a month but work sends me everywhere.

They should make it like Dallas' (yes, gasp, Dallas) ZipCash system. People without tags are billed in the mail for tolls.

That would mean that they couldn't fine all the people. Given the amount of people I regularly see going through the eztag lanes without a tag, they probably make a nice amount from the fines.

Not related to the toll booths, but I think the entire Beltway from 45 to 59 South has just about outlived its usefullness.

No room to grow and too much traffic.

They sure shot it short.

The segment between 290 and 59S is pretty good. The traffic mostly arises from toll booths (NB) and the ludicrous merge south of 59S (SB) -- in my opinion, the roadway itself is still adequate for our needs.

That would mean that they couldn't fine all the people. Given the amount of people I regularly see going through the eztag lanes without a tag, they probably make a nice amount from the fines.

True. Simply fining all the people without tags would be lawsuit bait though -- somebody would claim discrimination against people without bank accounts. They could ensure good revenue with a "Zipcash" type system by increasing cash fares. In accounting terms, raise the cash rate enough to counteract the proportion of accounts receivable defaults.

• 2 months later...

COMMISSIONERS COURT APPROVES 'SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENTS' TO SAM HOUSTON TOLLWAY

Harris County Commissioners Court authorized County Judge Ed Emmett today to execute an agreement with the state Department of Transportation for construction of "intelligent transportation systems" along parts of the Sam Houston Tollway.

The agreement will lead to the installation of $20 million worth of closed-circuit television cameras, fiber-optic communications and dynamic message signs on sections of the tollway lying east of Interstate 45. The county's share of the costs will be $2 million, with the state picking up the rest of the tab.

"As the county continues to grow, the need for state-of-the-art solutions to transportation problems becomes even more important," said Harris County Judge Ed Emmett. "Agreements like these are not only a great benefit for motorists, they come as a bargain as well."

Officials with the Harris County Toll Road Authority said they will install closed-circuit cameras to monitor traffic flow, obstructions and accidents. Motorists will be notified immediately of potential traffic delays, using flashing message signs along the tollway informing them of the problems and advising them what actions can be taken to avoid them.

Officials with the Toll Road Authority said they expect to let the contract for construction next month. Construction is expected to begin in November or December and should be complete within two years.

What the need to do is get a new technology system for the tollway that all vehicles must have an EZ tag to get onto the tollroad and to exit. However instead of being booths throughout the tollroad they would only have them for entrances and exits and a computer would be able to calculate your toll charge by the distance you travelled. This would get rid of all the congestion from the people still using cash/coins on the tollroad which in turn backs up the EZ tag only lanes

• 5 months later...

I am probably not the only one to notice this, but for all you folks driving on the new stretch of Kirby Drive between 2234 (Shadowcreek parkway) and the Sam Houston tollway - be careful! The posted limit is only 35mph, but with no stops and no development along that stretch (yet), it's easy to go 50mph+. And that is where the danger comes in, because almost every time I've driven through there I've seen a cop either giving a speeding ticket, or parked and set to pounce on an unwary driver.

This stretch could qualify as a speed trap, at least to my mind, so be careful folks. ^_^

I am probably not the only one to notice this, but for all you folks driving on the new stretch of Kirby Drive between 2234 (Shadowcreek parkway) and the Sam Houston tollway - be careful! The posted limit is only 35mph, but with no stops and no development along that stretch (yet), it's easy to go 50mph+. And that is where the danger comes in, because almost every time I've driven through there I've seen a cop either giving a speeding ticket, or parked and set to pounce on an unwary driver.

This stretch could qualify as a speed trap, at least to my mind, so be careful folks. ^_^

I try to avoid it and go to 288 instead. As you say, you get up to 45-50 without thinking about it.

I've been lucky a couple of times coming south from BW8 because the police already had somebody pulled over. They wait on the bridge right before you get to 2234.

We can also use this thread to discuss what is planned for this stretch of road. It looks like they've pre-laid a very nice infrastructure there (example: pretty streetlights), for future development. Is it possible this is where part of the Waterlights District is going to be? It seems close enough.

We can also use this thread to discuss what is planned for this stretch of road. It looks like they've pre-laid a very nice infrastructure there (example: pretty streetlights), for future development. Is it possible this is where part of the Waterlights District is going to be? It seems close enough.

It will be more an Industrial Park west of the Waterlights & The Promenade Shops.

Pearland is trying to attract Biotech & Medicine companies. It is a very nice concept, but it will take years to come to reality.

The Spectrum