The tower that was to be built

Vertigo58

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but whatever became of the plans to build that beautiful hotel near GRB. This is the one surrounded by the bribery scandal of Houston city council members a few years ago.

I recall renderings had a big Texas Star somewhere on top of the tower. The building looked really sleek and modern and would have been a perfect blend in the cityscape. I could not find anything on Google. It is ashamed that due to the scandal it was done away with or so I thought?

Photos anyone??? :)

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but whatever became of the plans to build that beautiful hotel near GRB. This is the one surrounded by the bribery scandal of Houston city council members a few years ago.

I recall renderings had a big Texas Star somewhere on top of the tower. The building looked really sleek and modern and would have been a perfect blend in the cityscape. I could not find anything on Google. It is ashamed that due to the scandal it was done away with or so I thought?

It's called Hilton Americas, which is at least 2-3 years old at this point.

It's called Hilton Americas, which is at least 2-3 years old at this point.

Yes, that is true the new one is there, but the original rendering/plans was a competely and totally different looking beast. It was about 30 stories high, slender with a nice dark greyish color. If memory serves well it seemed similar to the Sears Tower.

Someone must remember.

I was going to say, maybe your thinking of the original rendering for the harris county courthouse, which was grey (and much better then the current one)... but the "Sears Tower" part threw me off.

Maybe if we all match wits and try to connect with any known architects on this forum they could or should know. I am certain it was going to be a Hilton America's but not the one that is currenlty there next to GRB. I promise everyone it was to be a skyscraper like building not a pardon the loose term sideways/elongated hotel like the present one. Maybe well never know?

The media repeatedly flashed the proposed artist drawing on TV everytime they brought up the trial with Ben Reyes and gang. It was neat as it had a real Texas theme appereance.

Ok, time for a mental margarita (me).

Maybe if we all match wits and try to connect with any known architects on this forum they could or should know. I am certain it was going to be a Hilton America's but not the one that is currenlty there next to GRB. I promise everyone it was to be a skyscraper like building not a pardon the loose term sideways/elongated hotel like the present one. Maybe well never know?

The media repeatedly flashed the proposed artist drawing on TV everytime they brought up the trial with Ben Reyes and gang. It was neat as it had a real Texas theme appereance.

I don't recall every seeing a rendering of that proposal. Not certain it ever got to the "rendering" stage.

Search the Chronicle archives, and post here when you find it!

I did see earlier proposed renderings for the hotel, but nothing that looked like a skyscraper.

Great! So at least you recall there was a rendering, and maybe skyscraper was incorrect but it was to be about 25 stories high. Other person suggested searching Chro archives. Next step I guess. Thanks all! :)

• 4 months later...

Hey Veritigo. This may be a moot point but is this the skyscraper you were talking about?

i went to Google and under Images i typed (Ben Reyes Houston skyscraper). It is on the first page and looks like, maybe what you are talking about. I couldn't get it to paste onto this site. Sorry.

Take a look and let me know.

m. B)