Houston Drivers ... What REALLY Drives You Crazy?!?

There are a few things that REALLY get me riled about Houston drivers (well, probably drivers anywhere, but since I live here ... well, you get the point).

1. Those damned load a** mufflers that people think sound like the cars in The Fast and The Furious Tokyo Drift or Ronin, but really just sound ... well ... they just sound abnormally loud and annoying
  2. Car speakers and woofers that sound like they belong in Metropolis
  3. People that do not (use their turn) signal
  4. People talking on their cell phones without headsets. Not only annoying, but damned dangerous to me!

There are a few things that REALLY get me riled about Houston drivers (well, probably drivers anywhere, but since I live here ... well, you get the point).
  1. Those damned load a** mufflers that people think sound like the cars in The Fast and The Furious Tokyo Drift or Ronin, but really just sound ... well ... they just sound abnormally loud and annoying
  4. People talking on their cell phones without headsets. Not only annoying, but damned dangerous to me!

not sure if the headset helps or hinders. sometimes you don't hear things coming as easily when you have one on. if you're just talking having both hands on the wheel then i see your point. been seeing quite a few driving around with ipods and the ear pieces in both ears. i think that's dangers wrt hearing sounds.

Edited by musicman

not sure if the headset helps or hinders. sometimes you don't hear things coming as easily when you have one on. if you're just talking having both hands on the wheel then i see your point.

One hand raised to their ear, they can't see their mirrors (or they don't care to even try to look) ... it just gets my blood boiling.

Especially when I am up against their gargantuan Tahoe in my much smaller Civic. :angry2:

Edited by houstonmacbro

People driving 65 or 70 mph in the fast lane. STATE LAW says left lane is for PASSING ONLY! If you're only doing 70 mph, you need to get your a$$ over! :)

In rural settings yes, but that's not as well-defined in urban areas where left exits proliferate. In general, it's still true, though.

In rural settings yes, but that's not as well-defined in urban areas where left exits proliferate. In general, it's still true, though.

For the most part, Texas drivers are pretty good about that law. I always noticed that Louisiana drivers have trouble with the concept, whether it's here or in their own state.

The problem is, it only takes one slow driver in the fast lane to plug up traffic for miles. Especially on a busy two-lane interstate...like I-10 between Houston and San Antonio!

I also see it happen pretty regularly on the Southwest Freeway outbound in the mornings. Typically, speeds in the fast lane are 75+ mph in the mornings...unless there's the one idiot driver in the fast lane who gets locked on to the car next to him, or even worse, the two or three cars next to him, forming an unpassable "wall" of cars three or four lanes wide, all going the same speed, which is always slower than the drivers of the two miles of cars backed up behind them.

I guess you could say that drives me crazy... :(

Another thing that drives me crazy: People that think you MUST be going 75+ in the left lane ;)

To me, if you're passing, you're good as long as you get over to the right as soon as you're done passing.

After all, the sign says, "LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY" not "LEFT LANE FOR DRIVING LIKE A MANIAC ONLY." B)

Another thing that drives me crazy: People that think you MUST be going 75+ in the left lane ;)

To me, if you're passing, you're good as long as you get over to the right as soon as you're done passing.

After all, the sign says, "LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY" not "LEFT LANE FOR DRIVING LIKE A MANIAC ONLY." B)

that must have been me

that must have been me

I just realized that made me sound like an old fart. Of course, I like to hit 80 on 290 during the few hours a day that it's possible and it drives me nuts when someone is driving slow with no one to their right.

Of course, ever notice how we are the only people who drive the right speed. Everyone driving slower than us is a moron and everyone driving faster is a manaic.

I just realized that made me sound like an old fart. Of course, I like to hit 80 on 290 during the few hours a day that it's possible and it drives me nuts when someone is driving slow with no one to their right.

Of course, ever notice how we are the only people who drive the right speed. Everyone driving slower than us is a moron and everyone driving faster is a manaic.

me too. my dad loves to go 55 in the left lane and he gets irritated when we say to move over.

Edited by musicman

The other thing that drives me crazy is all the $%#& HPD Traffic Enforcement cops on 59! :wacko:

and 45 South Gulf frwy never has enough! Maybe we can trade?

The stretch from Wayside all the way to Fuqua is pretty much a drag strip in both directions. On any given day/night especially weekends if you happen to glance in your rear view here they come about 100 miles an hour. These (bastardos) seem to have no thought of the consequences and danger they are putting the public through. Seldom will you see any cop. They used to patrol heavily a decade ago but faded away. :ph34r:

Even more pathetic is when motorcycles race? They are leaning over peddle to the metal as if they are in a video game world? Is this what these little a-hles are imagining? You would think. Even worse when they zig-zag past cars going slow in traffic? What the hell? Dont they have to abide by the same rules as cars?

I am sooooo tempted to just pop open my door and see them fly in mid air (like in the movie) of course I would probably kick the bucket too but be in revenge heaven/hell? >:)

Almost done! Yield signs, why dont people Yield? I recall that meant slowing down looking both ways left to right then proceeding. I see a-hls constantly just flying right through them not even stopping? Its time for the killing! :angry:

The other thing that drives me crazy is all the $%#& HPD Traffic Enforcement cops on 59! :wacko:

and 45 South Gulf frwy never has enough! Maybe we can trade?

The stretch from Wayside all the way to Fuqua is pretty much a drag strip in both directions. On any given day/night especially weekends if you happen to glance in your rear view here they come about 100 miles an hour. These (bastardos) seem to have no thought of the consequences and danger they are putting the public through. Seldom will you see any cop. They used to patrol heavily a decade ago but faded away. :ph34r:

Even more pathetic is when motorcycles race? They are leaning over peddle to the metal as if they are in a video game world? Is this what these little a-hles are imagining? You would think. Even worse when they zig-zag past cars going slow in traffic? What the hell? Dont they have to abide by the same rules as cars?

I am sooooo tempted to just pop open my door and see them fly in mid air (like in the movie) of course I would probably kick the bucket too but be in revenge heaven/hell? >:)

Almost done! Yield signs, why dont people Yield? I recall that meant slowing down looking both ways left to right then proceeding. I see a-hls constantly just flying right through them not even stopping? Its time for the killing! :angry:

When I used to work in Kingwood, I knew the stretch from right past downtown on 59N to 1960 was 60 mph city. There were cops stationed every few miles.

oh gee - where to start :rolleyes:

-police officers in law enforcement vehicles that don't practice common courtesy/obey laws (example - go to Newcastle and Beechnut St. HPD storefront - they NEVER yield on left turns).

-blinkers - it's so easy to use them, unless you're mentally deficient in some way

-people who don't know what MERGE signs mean, or which lane is ending, as indicated on the sign

-people who don't understand the concept of driver-to-driver when making a turn in a median.

A few things not really about the drivers, but more about the roads...

1. Why are there no turn lanes on S Shepherd? I know that construction would be a nightmare, but the City needs to bite the bullet and just do it.

2. Why are there no turn signals for east/west bound drivers on W Dallas at Montrose?

3. Why is the Sam Houston Tollway so antiquated? HCTRA should install drive-thru lanes without gates for those with EZ PASS at the exit/on-ramp tollbooths (like the ones on the Dallas North Tollway). Instead, we have to wait for the $&*#@^ gate to open.

-people who don't know what MERGE signs mean, or which lane is ending, as indicated on the sign

-people who don't understand the concept of driver-to-driver when making a turn in a median.

Those two, along with the left lane slow drivers, are my top driving pet peaves. All the others aren't far behind though.

3. Why is the Sam Houston Tollway so antiquated? HCTRA should install drive-thru lanes without gates for those with EZ PASS at the exit/on-ramp tollbooths (like the ones on the Dallas North Tollway). Instead, we have to wait for the $&*#@^ gate to open.

Hummm, all the ramps I use on the north, northwest & west side have open (non-gated) EZ tag lanes.

May I add to this list motorcyclists who think having no muffler makes them "macho" instead of deaf and pathetic.

PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW YOU CAN TURN LEFT ON ONE-WAYS!!! ESPECIALLY DOWNTOWN.

They just sit at the light like idiots when I have somewhere to be. I think they should require people to take refresher courses in driver's ed!

It would be nice if rental car companies would include a little flyer with your paperwork letting you know things like --

• The local speed limit on freeways
  • Whether right turn on red is legal
  • Whether left turn on red is legal
  • Information about local tolls
  • Any other local driving laws that are unique

So often I show up in a new city and within minutes I'm wondering if I can make the turn on red, or should I wait.

Worse -- I flew into Richmond a couple of weeks ago and discovered that it costs 25 cents to use certain exit ramps to get into downtown. Some ramps are free, others you have to pay. I assume it's to address congestion. But it would have been nice to know this ahead of time.

Yes, as a visitor to a particular city it's my responsibility to research every local law. But nothing would have turned up that toll booth thing.

That is indeed an insightful tidbit. I didn't realize George Carlin was an A&M student that frequents HAIF!? :huh:

houston drivers are what drive me crazy.

You took my answer! Seriously... what drives me crazy... HOUSTON DRIVERS!! Uuugh they are so bad! The worst are the ones who wait until the last minute to cross over 3 lanes of traffic so they don't miss their exit. I mean.. it would be crazy to actually watch the signs that say "exit 2 miles... exit 1 mile... exit 1/2 mile"... why get in the lane ahead of time?? :angry2:

You took my answer! Seriously... what drives me crazy... HOUSTON DRIVERS!! Uuugh they are so bad! The worst are the ones who wait until the last minute to cross over 3 lanes of traffic so they don't miss their exit. I mean.. it would be crazy to actually watch the signs that say "exit 2 miles... exit 1 mile... exit 1/2 mile"... why get in the lane ahead of time?? :angry2:

You mean the ones that try to cut in a line leading up a congested flyover ramp? Those piss me the hell off. They block a whole general lane of traffic and slow down the next left lane as well.

Surely there is a way to punish such assholes. >:)

You mean the ones that try to cut in a line leading up a congested flyover ramp? Those piss me the hell off. They block a whole general lane of traffic and slow down the next left lane as well.

Surely there is a way to punish such assholes. >:)

Oo yes, those also!! But what I was talking about in my previous post are the ones that... when traffic is flowing at normal speeds... cut across 2, 3, 4 lanes of traffic at the last second to get their exit. They could have gotten in the exit lane 1, 2 even 3 miles back when the sigs for the exit started coming up... but no, they are f'ing idiots who can't read signs until the last mintue. <_< So, they swerve across traffic, almost causing accidents, and forcing everyone else to slam on their breaks! :angry2: I get this alot coming home from work northbound on 45 towards Downtown where there is the split to 59 / 288 south. I stay on 45 and someone always has to swerve at the last second across traffic to take the 29 / 288 south exit. grr!

Oo... and w/ regards to "punishing" people who cut in line leading up to congested ramps... you can't do much, but I do my part if I am in the congested line by just not letting them in... I ride the back bumper of the car in front of me so they can't get in. >:)

Edited by HtownWxBoy

I get this alot coming home from work northbound on 45 towards Downtown where there is the split to 59 / 288 south. I stay on 45 and someone always has to swerve at the last second across traffic to take the 29 / 288 south exit. grr!

Yeah, a lot of those are UH students coming off of the Scott Street on-ramp, which doesn't have much of a turn lane to begin with, and then doesn't provide a whole lot of time to get three or four lanes over. Timid drivers often aren't able to merge because of all the aggresive drivers and truck traffic right there, and they end up having to make a last-moment swerve in order to make their exit.

There are also some that come off of Spur 5, quickly get in the leftmost lane to avoid the congestion where other students are coming on at Cullen, and then cut back over to the right lanes just as they get up to the 59/288 exit. I was one of those.

As mentioned... People driving slow in the passing lane. Sorry but I am passing on the right if you arent getting over.

Cell phone drivers. I just pull over if I get a call or call them back after I stop.

Blinkers... Use them, they are on the car for a reason.

Then there is Houstons roads.

I have had two broken windshields on my brand new truck in the year I have had it. My ex wife and I would play the lets count broken windsheilds game, Try it! Can someone clean the roads?

Non merging lanes on the on ramp. I nearly crashed a few times when I first moved here. Who built that?