Rarely Used Freeway/Highway Names

Most of time I hear people say Highway 6, Highway 288, FM Nineteen-Sixty, and so on. But according to maps, Highway 6 is Addicks Satsuma Road and Alvin Sugarland Road, Highway 288 is South Freeway and Nolan Ryan Freeway. And FM 1960 is called Jackrabbit Road (:lol: @ such a name for a street). But these are rarely or never used today, and I don't hear too many ppl say Sidney Sherman Bridge as opposed to "Loop Six Ten Bridge over Ship Channel".

This seems like a dumb question to ask why there isn't much verbal usage, but what are some other rarely used street names in the area more referenced by the highway number commonly.

I've heard "South Freeway" and "288" about the same number of times.

What I rarely hear is "Senator Lloyd Bentsen Highway" which is also part of 288.

There's been a sign around El Campo along 59 for at least 15 years that mentioned it as the name anyway, but that's essentially the only place along the road I recall seeing it...

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

I recall seeing it either in downtown, or just south of downtown. I really thought it was on 288, but am open to correction.

Yoinks! I just found it on the Messypedia:

Two hundred seventy miles of U.S. Highway 59, from I-35 to I-45 in Texas (between Laredo and Houston, respectively), is officially named the "Senator Lloyd Bentsen Highway".

We used to joke that, in honor of Nolan Ryan's fastball, the speed limit on the Nolan Ryan Expressway is 103 mph.

You wouldn't believe how many people believe that one...

You don't hear "South Freeway" very often...not like Eastex, Gulf, Katy, SW Fwy, etc.

How about "South Belt" for southern portion of Beltway 8? I grew up around Sagemont/Beverly Hills, which was always known as the "South Belt" area, even 20+ years ago, when there was no South Belt.

I recall seeing it either in downtown, or just south of downtown. I really thought it was on 288, but am open to correction.

Yoinks! I just found it on the Messypedia:

You're not losing it... The sign is just south of downtown, but it is right where 59 and 288 split, so easily confusable if you aren't in the area often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Well how often do you hear people call the Feeder Roads of the Sam Houston Toll way "Beltway 8"?

Actually, the feeder road is named 'Beltway 8', mainlanes is 'Sam Houston Tollway'. I am so sure of this. I think the same convention goes for other freeways but in reverse. I may be wrong on this though.

• 2 months later...
Most of time I hear people say Highway 6, Highway 288, FM Nineteen-Sixty, and so on. But according to maps, Highway 6 is Addicks Satsuma Road and Alvin Sugarland Road

I've only seen Addicks Satsuma signage on 6 around Westheimer/I-10 area, and I'd guess Alvin Sugarland is used between those two places. The names refer to such small stretches of the road that it's not too practical using them to describe it, especially to someone from another area or with directions that span a much larger portion of the highway.

I've only seen Addicks Satsuma signage on 6 around Westheimer/I-10 area, and I'd guess Alvin Sugarland is used between those two places. The names refer to such small stretches of the road that it's not too practical using them to describe it, especially to someone from another area or with directions that span a much larger portion of the highway.

You're right about the Alvin-Sugarland Rd. However, sometimes, the places identified were connections to oil fields, e.g. Fairbanks-N Houston--the Fairbanks is actually the old Fairbanks old field (ironically around that Woodwind Lakes neighborhood which was built on the site of an old refinery). I'd personally do an intensive land title search at almost any cost if I was interested in property along any of these hyphenated streets in Houston.

By the was, anyone here (who's not a roads expert) know where the Juan N. Seguin Interchange is? :ph34r: It's the only interchange that I've seen a name on in Houston.

How about the Robert C. Lanier Freeway or the Emmett F. Lowery Expressway?

And while Sidney Sherman Bridge is never used, people tend to know more about the Fred Hartman Bridge. Maybe because even though its further away, it's much more notable? BTW, is it just me, or would the Hartman bridge have been better sited as the 610 bridge?

Edited by GovernorAggie

, anyone here (who's not a roads expert) know where the Juan N. Seguin Interchange is? :ph34r: It's the only interchange that I've seen a name on in Houston.

How about the Robert C. Lanier Freeway or the Emmett F. Lowery Expressway?

I know where all 3 are, but because I'm a "roads expert", I can't tell you. :lol: