IAH is ready for the Airbus A380

Guest Marty

I love watching the jet's flying overhead from IAH There are some interesting comments on a thread called "15 Hours to Dubai" about this. Sorry for no link i have to clock in now.

So, how many U.S. airports can handle an A380 now? I remember when they first flew it was only Dallas and New York. How exclusive a club is this these days?

Not sure you got that right. The A380 first flew in 2005. I think more than just Dallas and New York were able to handle it at that time. In fact, I think IAH was ready for it in 2005.

In any event, we know that, in addition to IAH, New York (not sure which airport it went to, but I think JFK) and LAX can handle it. That's where the A380s flew to in March.

Edited by Houston19514

So, how many U.S. airports can handle an A380 now? I remember when they first flew it was only Dallas and New York. How exclusive a club is this these days?

The simple answer is many. Many US airports can handle this plane as far as landing, refueling, tarmac housing and takeoffs go. The passenger terminal and jetway facilities are a different story. Even still, that can be overcome through the use of "airstairs".

Off hand i think think of several......

Houston IAH

Dallas DFW

Denver DIA

Washington DUL

Bangor BGR

New York JFK

Los Angeles LAX

The simple answer is many. Many US airports can handle this plane as far as landing, refueling, tarmac housing and takeoffs go. The passenger terminal and jetway facilities are a different story. Even still, that can be overcome through the use of "airstairs".

Off hand i think think of several......

Houston IAH

Dallas DFW

Denver DIA

Washington DUL

Bangor BGR

New York JFK

Los Angeles LAX

How is it that Bangor Maine has an airport / runways capable of these planes?

How is it that Bangor Maine has an airport / runways capable of these planes?

It was originally Dow Air Force Base prior to becoming a civilian airport, so much of the current runway configuration was already in place as a result due to the number of B-52s that were based there. The runways are handy when flights need to be diverted before leaving or entering the US since it's either the first or last airport encountered during Trans-Atlantic flights.

As someone who's had to drive around it, it is pretty big for a town of about 30k people...

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

Assuming they ever finish building a plane....

yes, this the A380 was a make or break for airbus, in the sense of timing. i remember watching a program about 2 years ago, when they were reporting how it was designed, built and so forth; airbus said it had to have everything in place for the first plane to roll out for (SIA) in late 2005. interesting plane and wouldn't mind hoping a ride on it, but the 787 and hopefully they 747-8I is what i am looking forward to!

From what I understand, airlines are leaving switching from airbus to beoing's plane simply because the delays were just going crazy and throwing off THEIR plans.

I'd like to know what the Dreamliner is going to be like and if they're keeping up their timetable.

I'd like to know what the Dreamliner is going to be like and if they're keeping up their timetable.

The Boeing B787 will roll out of the factory this summer. Exact date is 7-8-7 as in 07-08-07.

Pretty clever ;) First flight soon after. Im watching the progress of this bird. I have about a million FF miles to burn and im going to dedicate some of them for trips on this bird ;)