So Long, Houston!

Montrose1100

I graduated on Saturday, and its time to move on. I'll be working in Corsicana for a few weeks until I go on Vacation. A week after that, I move to Abilene. Its been beautiful Houston! I can't wait to come back & visit!!!

P.S. I'll still be at home here on HAIF! :wub:

Edited by Montrose1100

I graduated on Saturday, and its time to move on. I'll be working in Corsicana for a few weeks until I go on Vacation. A week after that, I move to Abilene. Its been beautiful Houston! I can't wait to come back & visit!!!

Congratulations on graduating and good luck in Abilene!! :D

Congrats, Montrose!

I'm sure you can still stay on the system, though. I believe Abilene has the internet up there. :)

you should have said something, we would have sent you a bon voyage party along with a group gathering party.

Thank you all!!! :) I'll be going to ACU (Abilene Christian University) and I hope to major in Graphic Design/Advertising.

And I will always be here on HAIF, I'm just sad to leave Houston so soon. :blush:

I've got a buddy that graduated from ACU.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Congradulations Montrose! Best of luck in your future!

This is my goodbye, too. We're moving back to California on May 31. I don't have 2100 posts to my name like the topic starter, but hopefully I did not piss off too many people here. I found the board to be very useful and the people (usually!) courteous.

Regards,

Morgan

Edited by mpbro

This is my goodbye, too. We're moving back to California on May 31. I don't have 2100 posts to my name like the topic starter, but hopefully I did not piss off too many people here. I found the board to be very useful and the people (usually!) courteous.

Regards,

Morgan

Where are you headed? And why (if I can be nosey)?

Where are you headed? And why (if I can be nosey)?

We'll live in Mountain View, and I'll work in Santa Clara. I finished graduate school (geophysics) in 2004 and came to work at an oil company in Houston. Last year I switched to a service company which has an office here, but is headquartered in Santa Clara. Northern California is hardly a bastion of the oil & gas business, so I seized this opportunity.

I got into a "quality of life" argument with some other guy on here, and boy, what a pointless and intractable argument it is! For us, "quality of life" primarily centers around outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, climbing, running). With nearly perfect weather and fantastic outdoor attractions, we love California. But everyone has his or her definition of quality of life, and Houston offers a lot of things. The thing I'll miss most about Houston is the nice people. I always tell my wife that California would be perfect...if all the people moved to Nevada!

We'll live in Mountain View, and I'll work in Santa Clara. I finished graduate school (geophysics) in 2004 and came to work at an oil company in Houston. Last year I switched to a service company which has an office here, but is headquartered in Santa Clara. Northern California is hardly a bastion of the oil & gas business, so I seized this opportunity.

I got into a "quality of life" argument with some other guy on here, and boy, what a pointless and intractable argument it is! For us, "quality of life" primarily centers around outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, climbing, running). With nearly perfect weather and fantastic outdoor attractions, we love California. But everyone has his or her definition of quality of life, and Houston offers a lot of things. The thing I'll miss most about Houston is the nice people. I always tell my wife that California would be perfect...if all the people moved to Nevada!

Yeah, the problem with Houstonian's is our intense sense of pride. It is a trait of many Texans. We feel that our way of life, our state, our cities, are the best ... end of argument ... the end. I've noticed that a lot of it is from people that have either never traveled or lived elsewhere. The only thing many people know is Houston ... or Texas. It's not a dig, just an observation.

Wish you best (and you'll always be an honorary Texan).

Rock on, Mon!

Guest Marty

Congratulation Montrose 1100 :) and Good Luck ;) Peace B)

You guys will be smack in the best part of the Silicon Valley. I miss my trips up there there's nothing like it. Although I am a native Texan, California will always be my 2nd home. It is another world away from here. Be sure to eat at The Fish Market on El Camino Real in Santa Clara, huge fried oysters!

Best of luck to the both of you. Don't forget to tap into Haif for some real gags and laughs! We are all just a barrel of Haif monkeys! :lol:

Edited by Vertigo58

Best of luck.

But Corsicana and Abilene?

Looking for the simple life?

Yup. Its brighter then a turnip factory here at night.

No, I want nothing farther then from "living the simple life". I'm just working in Corsicana because my dad bought some land and there is a million mesquite trees that need to be killed. He's paying me, so it a 'job', and after that I'm going on Vacation. Abilene because of ACU (Abilene Christian University), and I'm not sure where after that... I'd like to come back to Houston, but who knows where my degree will take me. And I'll be staying an extra year to get my masters.

Be sure to eat at The Fish Market on El Camino Real in Santa Clara, huge fried oysters!

Mmmm good place! I ate there several years ago when working in that part of California.

Good luck to both of you as you enter the next phase of your lives. Hope you'll both remain active on HAIF!

• 2 weeks later...
You guys will be smack in the best part of the Silicon Valley. I miss my trips up there there's nothing like it. Although I am a native Texan, California will always be my 2nd home. It is another world away from here. Be sure to eat at The Fish Market on El Camino Real in Santa Clara, huge fried oysters!

Best of luck to the both of you. Don't forget to tap into Haif for some real gags and laughs! We are all just a barrel of Haif monkeys! :lol:

Well, I'm idle at work and thought I'd give a comical update. We moved into our rental in Mountain View and one week and a 5x10 storage unit later, we're still trying to get all the crap we brought unpacked. When you move from a 2100 sqft house with 2 car garage, into an 1100 sqft duplex with no garage, it's a recipe for fun. There's a similar duplex down the street on the market for $1.2M! I can't help but laugh when I think of the relative standard of living of someone in Houston who buys a $1.2M house, versus Mountain View. Really, someone in Mountain View is only "rich" if they move somewhere like Houston!

But, I don't think the temperature has risen above 82 since we've been here. And when the temps are 80, the dewpoints are in the 30's. Ahhh...

But, I don't think the temperature has risen above 82 since we've been here. And when the temps are 80, the dewpoints are in the 30's. Ahhh...

Don't rub it in!! It is a really beautiful day here in Houston today, but it's 92 right now, according to the chron. It'll only get worse for us, but for you it'll stay about the same all summer, right?

Congratulations on the move and good luck with your new home!