We love the nearby woods but...

Vertigo58

I'm a pet lover like any other guy, but these hideous little devils is where I draw the line. We live just across the street from a wooded area and these creepy things start visiting around this time of year. The other day we were watching TV and one was poking its ugly head at our door. He thought he could make himself at home. No way!

What's the best way to kill, rid whatever? Can you call the city for cages and do they charge? Any advice welcomed. Little black-eyes devils be gone with you! :angry2:

2.jpeg

Edited by Vertigo58

I'm a pet lover like any other guy, but these hideous little devils is where I draw the line. We live just across the street from a wooded area and these creepy things start visiting around this time of year. The other day we were watching TV and one was poking its ugly head at our door. He thought he could make himself at home. No way!

What's the best way to kill, rid whatever? Can you call the city for cages and do they charge? Any advice welcomed. Little black-eyes devils be gone with you! :angry2:

Is that any way to talk about undocumented workers!?

Is that any way to talk about undocumented workers!?

Their more like undocumented eaters. I hear they search for places to have babies like the ones riding on mommas back in the pic. One time I saw one on the fence and I grabbed a 2 x 4 and smacked it on the head. I screeecchhhed like a alien monster and fled. I'm still traumatized. These things are mean. I have a big kitty that usually kills big mice but when she and I tried to beat up one up the other day she fled like a scardey cat! Little wus. I hate to lay out poison as the area kitties might eat by mistake.

Hate to get a small gun but surely others have this problem around "bayou city" :wacko:

I'm ready to get an exorcist and cast out these little demons, anything.

One time I saw one on the fence and I grabbed a 2 x 4 and smacked it on the head. I screeecchhhed like a alien monster and fled.

what in the world, LOL

isn't there something to keep animals off ur yard, it's like a pole or something that emmits some kind of radio waves??? i don't know i could be thinking something totally different though, lol

Vertigo, really ??? C'mon, she is just looking for some food for them babies. They are quite mean looking and have an awful HHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. But for the most part they are harmless as long as you don't mess with them, they won;t mess with you. I have Raccoons all over the place where I live, now those little punks knock over garbage cans and stuff. It is also costing me money, because it is like having another dog or two, they eat all the dogfood left out for my dog(she eats like a cat) never scarfs it down in one sitting, very weird dog. So, the Coons have a feast at night, dumping the kibble into the waterbowl to soften it up a bit or make gravy. What they make is a friggin' mess on my back porch, but my 5 yr. old loves watching them, so I won't deny them this one small pleasure. It is just part of living in a city built on a swamp!

Vertigo, really ??? C'mon, she is just looking for some food for them babies. They are quite mean looking and have an awful HHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. But for the most part they are harmless as long as you don't mess with them, they won;t mess with you. I have Raccoons all over the place where I live, now those little punks knock over garbage cans and stuff. It is also costing me money, because it is like having another dog or two, they eat all the dogfood left out for my dog(she eats like a cat) never scarfs it down in one sitting, very weird dog. So, the Coons have a feast at night, dumping the kibble into the waterbowl to soften it up a bit or make gravy. What they make is a friggin' mess on my back porch, but my 5 yr. old loves watching them, so I won't deny them this one small pleasure. It is just part of living in a city built on a swamp!

Hmmmm, which one do they resemble more top or bottom?

meeko.gif

raccoon2.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

You call the cat a wuss, yet you come on this forum squealing like a little girl? Talk about wuss.

http://www.opossum.org/facts.htm

Read your opossum facts. They are harmless to you and your pets, and eat many unwanted pests. While I have no problem with them, my pup (pictured in my avatar) has as little use for them as you do. She is 4-0 against them, including one poor littlr one that did not survive the fight. They tend not to show up for 6 months or more after she gets hold of one.

If your cat is an outdoor cat, let him take care of them.

2.jpeg

Call 311.

I'm not sure, but I THINK it's the humane society that will let you borrow traps. My Mom has one, but is in the hospital, and told me today since she cut me out of her will, she guesses I need to start selling pencils on the street to help my family and save for retirement - so I hope you understand if I don't call her to see if you can borrow it. It is a humane trap, and she had caught probably (honestly) at least 15 opossums and at least 5 racoons. Then the humane society comes to pick them up and releases them back into the wild.

GOOD LUCK!

Guest danax
One time I saw one on the fence and I grabbed a 2 x 4 and smacked it on the head. I screeecchhhed like a alien monster and fled. I'm still traumatized. These things are mean.

Someone's mean. :rolleyes: Those things are harmless. I'd rather see them walking around than domesticated dogs. The free roaming pit bulls in your nabe will take care of most of them anyway.

Their more like undocumented eaters. I hear they search for places to have babies like the ones riding on mommas back in the pic. One time I saw one on the fence and I grabbed a 2 x 4 and smacked it on the head. I screeecchhhed like a alien monster and fled. I'm still traumatized. These things are mean. I have a big kitty that usually kills big mice but when she and I tried to beat up one up the other day she fled like a scardey cat! Little wus. I hate to lay out poison as the area kitties might eat by mistake.

Hate to get a small gun but surely others have this problem around "bayou city" :wacko:

I'm ready to get an exorcist and cast out these little demons, anything.

Do you have cat food lying around? They're probably coming around to eat it...

They are kind of cute the way they hang in the trees by their tails. The babies are very fragile and if you hit one, even a little hit, it will die. Most people object to their presence because they resemble large rats, lol. Harmless and kind of cute, but keep the pet food covered. One of the biggest problems in the city, is that they cause the dogs to bark which makes everyone crazy.

How interesting. I was watching tv yesterday during the storm and my golden retrievers started barking like crazy at something out the window. I looked and looked and finally saw a big mama raccoon looking around the tree at me. She scurried up the fence and down it like a tightrope walker. She was so big!! She must have babies at the vacant house across the backyard from my house. I hope my dogs never get ahold of her. I hear they can really cause a dog a lot of damage when all they want to do is retrieve her. lol. And yes I have possums also. They are building tons of new homes around me and taking all the wooded areas away from the animals. I feel sorry for them. I'm sure they had rather live in a quite piece of woods than around us.

Alternatively, you can grind it up and feed it to your cat. In any case, don't just kill it.

All these responses are hilarious :wacko: and good. :) Right I hate to try to kill it. Last resort.

It's just hungry and its my neighbor's that leave out the dog food. In fact their dog just had a possum for dinner the other day. Broke it right in 2 pieces like splitting wood or chopping kindlin as Granny Clampett would say. We have no pets.

Someone mentioned possible rabies now that's my real concern. With children around you worry.

Signs are? Foaming at mouth like Cujo? Bloodshot eyes?

I could save them for the upcoming annual "Possum Parade" place them all over the float.

Mmmmm doggie, might win 1st prize!

Edited by Vertigo58

Alternatively, you can grind it up and feed it to your cat. In any case, don't just kill it.

All these responses are hilarious :wacko: and good. :) Right I hate to try to kill it. Last resort.

It's just hungry and its my neighbor's that leave out the dog food. In fact their dog just had a possum for dinner the other day. Broke it right in 2 pieces like splitting wood or chopping kindlin as Granny Clampett would say. We have no pets.

Someone mentioned possible rabies now that's my real concern. With children around you worry.

Signs are? Foaming at mouth like Cujo? Bloodshot eyes?

I could save them for the upcoming annual "Possum Parade" place them all over the float.

Mmmmm doggie, might win 1st prize!

Sung to the tune of Camp Town Races..[ Vote for Granny for possum queen.. do da do da.. she dont ride no limousine.. Granny all the way. ] Now if I remember correctly Mrs Dreysdale came in second.

The North Carolina Cooperative Extension recommends trapping it and feeding it milk and cereals for about 10 days before killing and cleaning it.

whaaaaa?!?!?! the crazy part is ppl actually do this....

someone pointed out to use a camera and scare it away w/ light...maybe a sensor lights around ur house would help?

possum.jpg

posscake.jpg

that gave me my morning laugh, LOL

Guest Marty

I used to feed the bird's and squirrels but the raccoons and possums took over and spread flea's in my yard. If its a small lot i would cut all the under brush.