We love the nearby woods but...

Vertigo58

The only thing I can really suggest is not leave any food out and be sure to rodent proof your garbage containers (or keep them inside until it's time for trash pick up).

As far as your dog goes, maybe it's time to feed her inside, unless you want to rig up something that the opposums or Raccoons can't get to.

You really can't have the woods without wildlife coming in and ruining your utopia, so you might as well adjust.

Speaking of critters, our neighborhood has a bunch of wild rabbits. I don't really mind them. They don't bother me and I think they're kinda' cute. But I was wondering if anyone has heard if they've been known to cause any problems. Just curious really, because it's not like I'm going to start blasting away at 'em.

Speaking of critters, our neighborhood has a bunch of wild rabbits. I don't really mind them. They don't bother me and I think they're kinda' cute. But I was wondering if anyone has heard if they've been known to cause any problems. Just curious really, because it's not like I'm going to start blasting away at 'em.

As far as I know they will eat any garden plants (if you have a garden). I would love to have silly wabbits & don't mind the fuzzy squirrels. Other than that, rabbits just leave little round turds that resemble Cocoa Puffs.

Like the cereal commercial ... I'm co co for Cocoa Puffs!

I have a real bad deer problem where I live. To keep them out of my yard, I purchased a couple of these items called a Scarecrow. It's a motion-activated water sprinkler that scares away just about any varmint that might come around. I don't have any possums, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness with them, but it sure works to keep the deer away.

Guest Marty

If you have a Apple or a Pear tree in your yard feeding the squirrels will discourage them from eating the bark on trees in the summer droughts.

Possum and Brandy Yummm :lol:

Edited by Marty

One good trick that my grandfather taught me was cedar oil. It's mainly designed for bugs, but if you'll keep the yard sprayed about once a week, the possums will stay away. Last time I checked they had a mild cedar oil at Home Depot that hooks to your garden hose.

Speaking of which... My house backs up to a bayou in Katy, and they just found a six foot gator a few blocks away. What makes matters worse is that something is beginning to root big holes on the hill of the bayou, and I'm worried that it's hogs. I have no idea where they would be coming from, but it makes me uncomfortable knowing my son plays in the area.

Just yesterday, I was loading my trailer with the cabinets I made for a house I am redoing, and I had the front door open all the time I was loading up. I came out later to put some tools on the trailer, and I closed the door, something I wouldn

I killed a couple of copperheads in my back yard last month, they were nestled around the pool equiptment, nice and warm over there. They were babies, about a foot long. I almost got bit, my wife was trying to see, and I had to yell at her to get the F-back ! LOL! Kills me, the women yell at us to "come kill it quick!", then get all up in the mix to see what we are doing and get in the way.

I killed a couple of copperheads in my back yard last month, they were nestled around the pool equiptment, nice and warm over there. They were babies, about a foot long. I almost got bit, my wife was trying to see, and I had to yell at her to get the F-back ! LOL! Kills me, the women yell at us to "come kill it quick!", then get all up in the mix to see what we are doing and get in the way.

Foot long babies?!? Damn!

One good trick that my grandfather taught me was cedar oil. It's mainly designed for bugs, but if you'll keep the yard sprayed about once a week, the possums will stay away. Last time I checked they had a mild cedar oil at Home Depot that hooks to your garden hose.

Speaking of which... My house backs up to a bayou in Katy, and they just found a six foot gator a few blocks away. What makes matters worse is that something is beginning to root big holes on the hill of the bayou, and I'm worried that it's hogs. I have no idea where they would be coming from, but it makes me uncomfortable knowing my son plays in the area.

One order of CEDAR OIL coming up for me! I am going to try it. Just the other day I was cutting the grass up front and found skeletal remains of a possum. Maybe the nabe kitties got into it. I will still get the oil anyway for any more of the possums brethren that tries to infiltrate the property.

That gator part of your reply is freaking me out and snakes just... urggggghhh. :wacko:

The snake is a Texas Rat Snake, one of the most beneficial animals in the State. I would never, ever kill a snake unless my life was in danger.

I agree! Funny how looks can terrify people, and their first thought when seeing a snake is to kill it regardless of what type it is. Snakes are much more beneficial to the environment than a lot of the "cute" little, and big, critters that people adore.

TJones mentioned women and snakes in a reply here. That brought back a recollection of my wife trying to help me get a water moccasin out of a neighbor's house years ago. TJ is right!