Getting a will

Subdude

It's something I've been putting off for a long time, but I want to go ahead and have a will drawn up. Does anyone have any advice? How much does it normally cost? Any attorney recommendations?

Thanks for any help!

Sub.

Yes, I heard you can write out what you want number one. I have also heard you need to get it viewed by an atty anyway for those that can afford it. Has to be notarized? :mellow:

The internet should be a great resource and then there is a weekly section in the Chron where they discuss these topics. Finally, is it Gerald Reese? that provides good advice on ABC 13. Serious.

Your going to get tons of advice so fasten your seatbelt.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marty

I would write it my self if you have a small family 1-5 adult family members, If you are married it becomes a lot more complicated. I am glad the death tax is no longer in affect in the USA.:closedeyes:

Edited by Marty

I would write it my self if you have a small family 1-5 adult family members, If you are married it becomes a lot more complicated. I am glad the death tax is no longer in affect in the USA.:closedeyes:

Only if you die in 2010. Make your plans early.

I am a probate attorney. I would not suggest doing a will on your own except if no other option is available. There are too many issues, even if you believe your estate is small and everything is simple. There are so many thing people mess up when they are on their own that they end paying for down the line because they did not use an attorney to get a will done.

One the best ways tools to get clients is to tell them the horror stories of people doing wills by themselves. I clerked for a probate judge and would see all the "pro se" people coming in with their wills and get upset when the learned of all the extra steps they must take because the decedent did not draft or execute thier will properly. It is a shame. They end up having to pay an attorney a lot more money because they tried to skimp on a will. Penny wise, pound foolish, I guess.

Even if people cannot afford to pay for a will there are plenty of local groups who will draft wills for those who cannot afford to. I do not care if people use me to get their wills done as long as they get it done somewhere. It makes life so much easier for their loved ones.