George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

It was never laid out as you describe.

Unless my eyes have deceived me over the years, large conventions do have the buses angle in as I described. In fact, I seem to recall that it was done this way when the large Microsoft convention was in town a couple of years ago.

I have been told several times that ADLA was designed to be this wide to allow for this circumstance as well. But, the folks who told me that may have been incorrect, I don't know.

• Like 1

http://www.houstonconventiondistrict.com/Home.aspx

Regarding the hotel component of this project, Houston First has solicited proposals from developers and has begun the process of negotiating a development agreement. A developer is expected to be announced this spring for a 350- to 400-room hotel and the plan is to have it open in mid-2017.
  • Like 3

So this one won't be ready in time for the Super Bowl. Will Alessandra? I thought these hotels were specifically trying to be completed for the Super Bowl, but I guess those plans have changed.

Edited by fkp5

Great news!

Alessandra was supposed to originally. Both now are relying more on conventions though than one week of Super Bowl festivities so if one or both don't make the big show its not a big deal.

Actually I thought it was a pretty big deal. Isn't that how Houston won for 2017? Promising more hotel space?
  • Like 1

Actually I thought it was a pretty big deal. Isn't that how Houston won for 2017? Promising more hotel space?

This hotel had nothing to do with the super bowl and I don't think Alessandra was even announced when we won the super bowl bid, so no. We are still adding thousands of hotel rooms to downtown for the big show. Just not these extra 600 or so rooms.

• Like 1