George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

2 hours ago, texan said:

Whitmire plans $3 billion in improvements to downtown over 30 years using hotel occupancy taxes. 

'"The entertainment district will be going three miles in each direction. It will reach the arts and theater district," Whitmire said.

He said plans are in place to expand the George R. Brown Convention Center to compete with other convention centers.

"We are going to have larger conventions," he said.

And they want to attract big things, possibly even another professional sports team.

"Yes, Toyota Center will get ready for hockey," he said.

Most importantly, the mayor said the purpose is to clean up downtown. Problems that Carol Churchill said she's just seen grow over the years.'

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/harris-county/mayor-whitmire-downtown-houston-investment/285-b3403310-d7c2-47c3-b26f-cfea56dc337a

spacer.png

^^^ geeeeeez, are there any HAIF patrons planning on still being alive in "30 years"... and that includes mayor whitmire?  (i mean, just think about it, at the current and very lethargic pace they are on in houston, can you just imagine how very progressive and prosperous the DALLAS and AUSTIN downtown entertainment districts are going to be in "30 years"?)  HOUSTON WILL NEVER CATCH UP!  also, how much further do they expect to keep "EXPANDING THE GEORGE R. BROWN CC" when there is only so much space (EMPTY BLOCKS) available within that particular downtown district?  why don't they DEMOLISH THE CONVENTION CENTER, and reconstruct it in another area of downtown... with much more space? (LIKE DALLAS IS DOING)  furthermore, EXPAND THE DISCOVERY GREEN PARK, including the lake... and finally, construct the long-anticipated W HOTEL along with residences... like other large cities have already done years ago.

something just seems really off here.  downtown houston planners are starting to sound like USED CAR SALESMEN.  we have all heard the very same "DOWNTOWN HOUSTON ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT" sales pitch a million times already.  yet, we are seemingly always constantly BEHIND OTHER LARGE CITIES... especially, within our very own state. 

soooooo many queries... and never any real clarity.  just come along with the RENDERINGS and CONCEPTS already...

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, monarch said:

spacer.png

^^^ geeeeeez, are there any HAIF patrons planning on still being alive in "30 years"... and that includes mayor whitmire?  (i mean, just think about it, at the current and very lethargic pace they are on in houston, can you just imagine how very progressive and prosperous the DALLAS and AUSTIN downtown entertainment districts are going to be in "30 years"?)  HOUSTON WILL NEVER CATCH UP!  also, how much further do they expect to keep "EXPANDING THE GEORGE R. BROWN CC" when there is only so much space (EMPTY BLOCKS) available within that particular downtown district?  why don't they DEMOLISH THE CONVENTION CENTER, and reconstruct it in another area of downtown... with much more space? (LIKE DALLAS IS DOING)  furthermore, EXPAND THE DISCOVERY GREEN PARK, including the lake... and finally, construct the long-anticipated W HOTEL along with residences... like other large cities have already done years ago.

something just seems really off here.  downtown houston planners are starting to sound like USED CAR SALESMEN.  we have all heard the very same "DOWNTOWN HOUSTON ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT" sales pitch a million times already.  yet, we are seemingly always constantly BEHIND OTHER LARGE CITIES... especially, within our very own state. 

soooooo many queries... and never any real clarity.  just come along with the RENDERINGS and CONCEPTS already...

Did you take a break from gazing at the Austin skyscrapers to pen this gem of a post?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

51 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

Did you take a break from gazing at the Austin skyscrapers to pen this gem of a post?

spacer.png

^^^ OOOOPS!  props to you kind HAIFER for reminding me.  i shall head back over there and continue "gazing" and dreaming.  the sunshine just never ends...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is great news! Pending further concrete details, I don't see how this announcement can be taken negatively... follow-on private investment will be multiples of whatever Whitmire has planned, even if it doesn't reach the $3B figure. Austin had its boom and is now in the early innings of its bust. ATX is what Houston was in 2015, a crane-filled skyline with tough times ahead.

The vast majority of the current construction pipeline there was capitalized before interest rate hikes started when the city was enjoying major tech expansions, robust VC/Startup activity, relocations from other markets, etc. That party is largely over.

There may be a lot of cranes in the sky, but the sunshine has ended.  It is overcast for the foreseeable future.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's worth noting how this $3 billion over 30 years is useful for todayThe revenue capacity from SB 1057 is used to support lending now of the magnitude of that at play in Dallas. It provides the backing for the loans that will be taken out in the near future to finance the improvements. The intention is not to gradually spend in dribs and drabs over 30 years as revenue comes in.

SB 1057's structure, after all, is exactly what was used in Dallas. The whole point was to give us the benefits that Dallas had previously won for themselves from the Texas Legislature.

See https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/analysis/pdf/SB01057H.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

This is great news! Pending further concrete details, I don't see how this announcement can be taken negatively... follow-on private investment will be multiples of whatever Whitmire has planned, even if it doesn't reach the $3B figure. Austin had its boom and is now in the early innings of its bust. ATX is what Houston was in 2015, a crane-filled skyline with tough times ahead.

The vast majority of the current construction pipeline there was capitalized before interest rate hikes started when the city was enjoying major tech expansions, robust VC/Startup activity, relocations from other markets, etc. That party is largely over.

There may be a lot of cranes in the sky, but the sunshine has ended.  It is overcast for the foreseeable future.

I think this is the headline:  

"$3 billion in the next 30 years," he said.

He said they'll use the hotel occupancy tax to make improvements.

That amounts to $100M/year.

Also, I would not say Austin is in a “bust” cycle.  Sure, things have slowed down but it is nowhere near a bust at this point.  I personally hope it can weather the storm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steve1363 said:

I think this is the headline:  

"$3 billion in the next 30 years," he said.

He said they'll use the hotel occupancy tax to make improvements.

That amounts to $100M/year.

Also, I would not say Austin is in a “bust” cycle.  Sure, things have slowed down but it is nowhere near a bust at this point.  I personally hope it can weather the storm.

Trust me, I do too. I love Austin and enjoy visiting there. But if you look at what underpinned its insane growth during the past several years, a lot of that is gone. Tech has contracted, startup VC peaked in 2021, and the relocation trend led by wfh has retreated - there is more outbound than inbound migration.

Long term bullish, near term not so much. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

spacer.png

^^^ @CREguy13 "this is great news!" dude, the aforementioned post of yours... reads like a DONALD TRUMP (con artist) ecstasy escape.  therefore, I shall present to you an... ULTIMATE CHALLENGE.  please "copy" your post and head on over to the SKYSCRAPERPAGE.COM open forum.  once you have arrived, please direct your MAYOR WHITMIRE "30 years" enthusiasm into the AUSTIN, TX, portion... of this most wonderful forum.  carefully "PASTE" your aforementioned post directly into a thread... then proceed forward and wait comfortably for the AUSTIN, TX contingent to carefully read over your post... and then contemplate and craft a response.  CAUTION:  you may want to ensure that you are donning the proper SPF sunshine/heat/rays protection... because I can honestly assure you that the "sunshine" that you have so eloquently stated has "ended", will now become your... HUCKLEBERRY... 

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Renaissance1999 said:

Looks like there are no new construction plans for 2024 just yet. However, within the Texas triangle Austin and DFW will be the biggest metropolitan areas in my opinion. 

Presumably, you are predicting Austin and DFW will have the most new construction in the Texas triangle (possible for certain periods of time, but not a given), not that both Austin and DFW will have larger populations than Houston (not gonna happen in the lifetimes of anyone reading this).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I found some information about the plans for the GRB Transformation Project:

Phase I is the development of an addition to the existing GRB to be constructed on all or parts of Blocks 287 (the block where The Rustic is currently located), Block 309 (the block south of The Rustic; currently surface parking), and Block 310 (the block south of the current Hilton/GRB parking garage and across Jackson to the east of Toyota Center; also currently surface parking). The addition will be connected to the current GRB above polk Avenue. They also presently anticipate extending Avenida de las Americas to the south and may include the construction and relocation of parking facilities (the Hilton/GRB South garage would stand in the way of extending Avenida de las Americas south of Polk Ave).

Phase I of the GRB Transformation Project is anticipated to be completed in the second quarter of 2028.

Phase II (which may occur concurrently with Phase I) will be modifications and improvements to the existing GRB.

They also plan a "District Transformation Project" in conjunction with the GRB Transformation to foster development of land near the GRB with entertainment venues and mixed use developments, etc . Details to be determined, but this also includes coordinating infrastructure work with TXDOT

So I guess that means they plan on eliminating Clay St. north of interstate entirely and Chenevert north of Bell? And what of Hamilton? The current plan with the NHHIP is to reconnect it once the freeway is sunk, so this will interfere with those plans somewhat.

16 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The addition will be connected to the current GRB above polk Avenue.

This seems kind of wild with Polk going away with NHHIP.

Also, TIL the COH already owns the whole block that the Rustic is on.

11 hours ago, Big E said:

So I guess that means they plan on eliminating Clay St. north of interstate entirely and Chenevert north of Bell? And what of Hamilton? The current plan with the NHHIP is to reconnect it once the freeway is sunk, so this will interfere with those plans somewhat.

I don’t see how it interferes with Hamilton or the plans for it in connection with the NHHIP.

FWIW, the Phase I plan is essentially what was set out in the GRB 2025 Master Plan, published several years ago (I believe it was in 20011).

Edited by Houston19514

On 6/19/2024 at 3:31 PM, Houston19514 said:

I found some information about the plans for the GRB Transformation Project:

Phase I is the development of an addition to the existing GRB to be constructed on all or parts of Blocks 287 (the block where The Rustic is currently located), Block 309 (the block south of The Rustic; currently surface parking), and Block 310 (the block south of the current Hilton/GRB parking garage and across Jackson to the east of Toyota Center; also currently surface parking). The addition will be connected to the current GRB above polk Avenue. They also presently anticipate extending Avenida de las Americas to the south and may include the construction and relocation of parking facilities (the Hilton/GRB South garage would stand in the way of extending Avenida de las Americas south of Polk Ave).

Phase I of the GRB Transformation Project is anticipated to be completed in the second quarter of 2028.

Phase II (which may occur concurrently with Phase I) will be modifications and improvements to the existing GRB.

They also plan a "District Transformation Project" in conjunction with the GRB Transformation to foster development of land near the GRB with entertainment venues and mixed use developments, etc . Details to be determined, but this also includes coordinating infrastructure work with TXDOT

So in other words, THIS: 

IMG_0046.jpeg

IMG_6379.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, tigereye said:

So in other words, THIS: 

IMG_0046.jpeg

IMG_6379.jpeg

Pretty close. As I said, it is essentially in accordance with the 2025 master plan, of which you have provided a rendering (thank you).  But not exactly. At least per the description I saw, they do not now plan for the convention center expansion to replace the Hilton/GRB South garage, as is depicted in this rendering. (But they may be thinking of altering it, to allow for extension of Avenida de las Americas. . . )

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 3:31 PM, Houston19514 said:

any word on a rooftop component? I also wonder if they'll work with Jim Crane and Tilman on that mixed use development?

Houston first is claiming this will add 1 million square feet to the GRB. How much of that is parking is unclear. Either way it will mostly likely propel the GRB toward the top 10 in terms of total space. I did not realize Houston attracted that many conventions.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Houston first is claiming this will add 1 million square feet to the GRB. How much of that is parking is unclear. Either way it will mostly likely propel the GRB toward the top 10 in terms of total space. I did not realize Houston attracted that many conventions.

Per the language used, it looks like the 1 million square feet may very well include the structure parking portions.  https://www.houstonfirst.com/static/media/uploads/attachments/development_services_rfq_(041024).pdf

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

"Flawless donuts and roaring burnouts" 

I can see that for free every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night from 8pm to 4am at Market Square!

(Seriously, though - Sunday 4am? Don't these people have jobs to pay for all those rented tires?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

And this land purchase was approved yesterday (the 24th):

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/government/2024/07/24/george-r-brown-convention-center-to-expand-with-purchase-of-new-land

Council members unanimously approved the acquisition July 24 based on a proposal from the Houston First Corporation. Houston First manages the city’s entertainment venues, including the George R. Brown Convention Center.

According to the agenda item, the land is intended to be used to construct a new building that could include parking, exhibition halls, ballrooms and/or meeting spaces.

The parcel of land spans two downtown city blocks between the convention center and the Toyota Center.

• Like 7

spacer.png

spacer.png

image.png.844a269c00e592abbf4fef90dc325f89.png

Downtown land deals could make room for massive overhaul of George R. Brown Convention Center

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/houston-convention-center-expansion-renovation-grb-19594039.php

Houston City Council on Wednesday authorized operators of the George R. Brown Convention Center to acquire nearby land — by eminent domain if needed — for a multimillion-dollar expansion of the downtown facility. 

Despite the city’s OK, Houston First, a quasi-governmental group that operates the convention center, said it hopes to buy the 2.7 acres south of the GRB from multiple owners. Most of the land, bound by Clay, Hamilton, Bell and Jackson, is owned by a subsidiary of a Taiwanese state-owned oil company, said Houston First CEO Michael Heckman.

Details of the planned expansion haven’t been released, but it would be the first significant renovation since 2016 for the 1.8 million-square-foot center.

“If you look around the country in the way that cities are investing in products, it’s absolutely necessary. Dallas is underway with a $4 billion complete redo of their convention center and areas surrounding,” Heckman said. “(George R. Brown) is 37 years old, and we are in a competitive environment.”

After more details are released this year, Houston First expects to break ground on the project in 2025. The first phase would be ready for the Republican National Convention in 2028, which is scheduled to be held in Houston.

In addition to a complete renovation, the project could include a large additional building to the south of the center, on the land Houston First hopes to buy, for exhibition halls, ballrooms and parking, according to a City Council agenda item.

“This is complete transformation and enhancements of the district. It will look a lot different in five to six years,” Heckman said.

The project could include moving the Rustic, a restaurant, bar and music venue that leases space from Houston First, to another site nearby, Heckman said. The Rustic’s owners, Free Range Concepts, are aware they could be asked to move, Heckman said.

A Free Range Concepts spokesperson said the Rustic is six years into a 20-year partnership with Houston First, and that it looks forward to being an “anchor of the new convention center campus.”

The project was made possible by passage last year of Senate Bill 1057, which was authored by then state Sen. John Whitmire, Houston’s current mayor. It allows the city and Houston First to receive a portion of state hotel occupancy taxes collected within a three-mile radius of the convention center. The incremental tax revenue is expected to tally $1.8 billion over 30 years. Houston First could then issue a bond against that money to shore up additional funding for the renovations.

“It was really a generational opportunity that this legislation was passed last year, and now that we’re getting into the planning … it’s really exciting,” Heckman said.

• Like 7

The indirect impact of this expansion is it is likely to catalyze the southern portion of downtown. Hard to believe there won't be investor interest to scoop up some of those parking lots to develop in the future.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

The indirect impact of this expansion is it is likely to catalyze the southern portion of downtown. Hard to believe there won't be investor interest to scoop up some of those parking lots to develop in the future.

I would think the Rockets would get involved with this to develop better atmosphere around Toyota Center.

• Like 5

On 4/14/2024 at 1:14 PM, KirbyDriveKid said:

It's worth noting how this $3 billion over 30 years is useful for todayThe revenue capacity from SB 1057 is used to support lending now of the magnitude of that at play in Dallas. It provides the backing for the loans that will be taken out in the near future to finance the improvements.

"The incremental tax revenue is expected to tally $1.8 billion over 30 years. Houston First could then issue a bond against that money to shore up additional funding for the renovations."

Highlighting a quote from the article Monarch posted to do a lil victory lap. We love the miracle of (semi)modern finance--realizing benefits before we're dust in the ground!

• Like 2