George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

On 7/26/2024 at 11:36 AM, Houston19514 said:

I would think the Rockets would get involved with this to develop better atmosphere around Toyota Center.

That would be great! With the Astros planning to build an entertainment district around Minute Maid Park, improvements surrounding Shell Energy Stadium for the World Cup, the recently announced East Blocks development, and Main Street 2.0, Houston has a change of building an attractive downtown district... too bad TxDOT's NHHIP will prevent the area from having a cohesive district for several years. Too bad the Mayor can't/won't stop TxDOT.

I would think the Rockets would get involved with this to develop better atmosphere around Toyota Center.

That would be great! With the Astros planning to build an entertainment district around Minute Maid Park, improvements surrounding Shell Energy Stadium for the World Cup, the recently announced East Blocks development, and Main Street 2.0, Houston has a change of building an attractive downtown district... too bad TxDOT's NHHIP will prevent the area from having a cohesive district for several years. Too bad the Mayor can't/won't stop TxDOT.

I've always thought that the basketball court at Root Square Park should have more Rockets love.  Ordinarily, I don't like corporate branding on parks, but because of its proximity to Toyota Center, I think it should be Rockets-branded with constant Rockets-themed events.

Every time I go by, it looks like it's from an abandoned public housing project in suburban London.  

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, editor said:

I've always thought that the basketball court at Root Square Park should have more Rockets love.  Ordinarily, I don't like corporate branding on parks, but because of its proximity to Toyota Center, I think it should be Rockets-branded with constant Rockets-themed events.

Every time I go by, it looks like it's from an abandoned public housing project in suburban London.  

Interesting - it has always been pretty full of life when I've been by there (which is pretty frequently). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 004n063 said:

Interesting - it has always been pretty full of life when I've been by there (which is pretty frequently). 

I will admit to not going by there very often.  Maybe once a month.  Perhaps I just have bad timing.  Still, I think considering its location, it should be a showpiece.

Boeing, McDonald's and all kinds of other big companies adopt public parks.  Certainly the Rockets have a few extra bucks to embrace this block.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a cruise ship. It is supposed to highlight the functional elements of the building. Think of it as a poor man's Pompidou Center [and I don't think Hines will do, or is being asked to do, anything to the presentation of the building].

image.png.499ec891bbc5b02f02bc69112e342709.png

• Like 2

actually it was supposed to represent the fact that Houston was such a major port/gateway:

The George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas was designed to resemble a cruise ship when it opened in 1987. The building's bright red, white, and blue color scheme and nautical theme make it a recognizable landmark of modern architecture. 
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

From the Houston Chronicle:

"The George R. Brown Convention Center will inevitably be compared with the Centre Pompidou, called The Beaubourg in Paris, and indeed there are similarities. Bolullo admits this. "I have to say I very much like the Pompidou (designed by Renzo Piano and Richard Rodgers)..."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/bayou-city-history/article/Brown-Center-confronts-city-skyline-confidently-12220534.php

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

From the Houston Chronicle:

"The George R. Brown Convention Center will inevitably be compared with the Centre Pompidou, called The Beaubourg in Paris, and indeed there are similarities. Bolullo admits this. "I have to say I very much like the Pompidou (designed by Renzo Piano and Richard Rodgers)..."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/bayou-city-history/article/Brown-Center-confronts-city-skyline-confidently-12220534.php

Thank you for posting this article.  I have a greater appreciation for “The GRB” now, and NO it was not meant to invoke any nautical themes…

As to the building itself, Bolullo says: "You may respond to it as you wish... I did not especially think of an ocean liner." Yet the colorful curved funnels, the railings and the horizontal shape give all the clues. Even the term "high tech" is too much of a catch-all now.

"The design simply expresses the elements of the building in its purity," he says. "We didn't try to hide anything and anyone with curiosity would be able to see how the building works." There are no false beams or columns. Every piece of glass or steel or granite is doing a job."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tigereye said:

I would like more glass in between the stairwell columns, like what was done with the new main entrance during the last renovation. Bring more natural light into the main concourse while showing off that skyline view even more without sacrificing the original design theme of the building. 

I know I’ve said it before but the entire roof of this place, especially in between Marriott Marquis and Hilton Américas should become a rooftop park (like Post HTX) that has flexible spaces to rent/book for events. The views could be magnificent. 

As for the Rockets mixed use plans, I’d like them to see if a deal could be struck with Skanska to develop the remaining blocks (251 & 276j of Discovery West, linking Toyota Center, Discovery Green, and GreenStreet together with continuous development 

You've got excellent ideas!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tigereye said:

I would like more glass in between the stairwell columns, like what was done with the new main entrance during the last renovation. Bring more natural light into the main concourse while showing off that skyline view even more without sacrificing the original design theme of the building. 

I know I’ve said it before but the entire roof of this place, especially in between Marriott Marquis and Hilton Américas should become a rooftop park (like Post HTX) that has flexible spaces to rent/book for events. The views could be magnificent. 

As for the Rockets mixed use plans, I’d like them to see if a deal could be struck with Skanska to develop the remaining blocks (251 & 276j of Discovery West, linking Toyota Center, Discovery Green, and GreenStreet together with continuous development 

I think it will look much better with more glass on the exterior as well!

• Like 3

On 8/16/2024 at 4:35 PM, tigereye said:

I like the Rockets mixed-use idea.  The 1970's-era theme of a stadium surrounded by parking lots went out of style almost 30 years ago.  

Two major Chicago sports teams have announced similar stadium-in-a-neighborhood plans.  The White Sox want to build a new stadium to fill in vacant space in the South Loop, and the Bulls and Blackhawks have announced plans to turn the parking lots around the United Center into a mixed-use neighborhood, possibly even relocating an L line in the process.  Strange that even though Wrigley Field is right there, it took so long for these big sports companies to figure out they can make more money off of real estate than parking fees.

It's sad that so many neighborhood were bulldozed to make room for stadium parking lots, but a half-century later, we're finally fixing that.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...