World's most beautiful skylines

Today I ran across an interesting blog post that attempts to list the most beautiful skylines in the world.

Of the 18 cities listed, I've been to 12, and I really think the list is way off base on some of them. Here's the list and the ones I think are wrong:

1. Hong Kong - Agree
  2. Chicago - Agree
  3. Sanghai - Agree
  4. New York - Agree
  5. Tokyo - Agree
  6. Singapore - Disagree
  7. Toronto - Agree
  8. Kuala Lumpur - Disagree
  9. Shenzhen - Disagree
  10. Seoul - dunno
  11. Sao Paolo - dunno
  12. Sydney - dunno
  13. Frankfurt - dunno
  14. Dubai - dunno
  15. Seattle - Agree
  16. Pittsburgh - Disagree
  17. Guangzhou - Disagree
  18. Dallas - Disagree

Singapore - Doesn't have much of a skyline outside of the very heart of the CBD, which is less than 10 blocks long.

KL - The Petronas Towers are a one-hit wonder. It doesn't make a great skyline.

Shenzhen - Filthy, polluted, ugly city. On the one or two days a year you can see the skyline, it's nothing remarkable.

Pics from the article:

sky1.jpg

Hong Kong

sly2.jpg

Chicago

shanghai2.jpg

Shanghai

nycskyline.jpg

What's left of New York

tokyo1.jpg

Tokyo

singapore3.jpg

Singapore

toronto2.jpg

Toronto

Dallas, It has a very nice skyline but does not need to be said in the same sentence with some of those other skylines. I agree with you on most but disagree with you about the Pittsburg skyline. Their skyline is not overcrowed to where it is ugly like some on the list. The pittsburgh bridges, the water, the shape of the land, make it a special sight to see.

400px-Pittsburgh_skyline_daytime.jpg

Dallas, It has a very nice skyline but does not need to be said in the same sentence with some of those other skylines. I agree with you on most but disagree with you about the Pittsburg skyline. Their skyline is not overcrowed to where it is ugly like some on the list. The pittsburgh bridges, the water, the shape of the land, make it a special sight to see.

400px-Pittsburgh_skyline_daytime.jpg

I just don't think there's ENOUGH of a skyline in Pittsburgh to consider it "great."

I grew up next to Toronto (I saw the skyline out my window from the opposite side of Lake Ontario ever dat as i grew up), and although the CN tower is quite impressive, I don't think the rest of the skyline is as impressive as Houston's.

No one mentioned Miami, Sao Paulo, or Panama City. Those are some fantastic skylines.

And has anyone noticed how many of the great cities (skylines or just great as far as cities go) are located on a body of water.

I say Houston should annex Galveston and make it the REAL SOUTH HOUSTON.

Edited by houstonmacbro

No one mentioned Miami, Sao Paulo, or Panama City. Those are some fantastic skylines.

It's number 11 on the list, and one of my personal favorites. I could never live there but I'm very fascinated by the density.

I enjoy night views of skylines better.

San Francisco has one of the most dazzling night views around. I used to stay in the Marriott across the bay in Burlingame and had the best views of downtown, Candlestick BallPark and the nearby bridges. Simply beautiful.

I wouldn't get hung up over this list. It's just some blogger guy's opinion isn't it? It's old and I don't even see a name attached to it. Judging by the comments below that blog, there seems to be a lot of disagreement. And why was the list stopped at 18? That seems like an odd place to stop counting. Top 10, 15, 20 or 25, I could see, but 18? Maybe this guy just wanted to get Dallas on there. ;) We could all create our own list, post it somewhere on the internet and it would have just as much merit.

In fact, I would be more interested in Editor's list than some anonymous wierdo's. At least the webmasters here have some accountability and credentials.

I couldn't make a list because I'm too jaded and opinionated for it to have any meaning, plus I don't even know or care about places like San Paulo. But the rest of you could.

Edited by Mister X

I just noticed it says that Toronto has 7 buildings over 200 m, and that is why he is impressed with the skyline (also of course because of the CN tower). But I was wondering, for comparison, how many buildings does Houston have over 200 m? Like 15? I'm sure there are a lot more than Toronto.

Looks like the guy copied this list... It actualy goes to 30 and Houston is ranked #22. I can agree with DT Houston being #22 in the world. If the Uptown skyline filled in Midtown, and/or greenway plaza and the other mini skylines filled in spots from DT to the med center, Houston rank would be a lot higher... Our skyline would be huge.... Houston has 14 towers taller then 200meters....

There's really no way to tell. Houston measures things in feet and the conversion is not possible. It may be that we have 1000 buildings over 200 meters tall, for all we know.

39 inches in a meter

12 inches in a foot

example if a building is 1000'

12" x 1000' = 12,000"

12,000"/39" = 307.69 meters

This is correct, right?

What does that guy mean, the conversion is not even possible?

Type "200 m to feet" in google.

200 meters = 656.167979 feet

Emporis lists everything in meters. And yep, I just counted 14.

Looks like the guy copied this list... It actualy goes to 30 and Houston is ranked #22. I can agree with DT Houston being #22 in the world. If the Uptown skyline filled in Midtown, and/or greenway plaza and the other mini skylines filled in spots from DT to the med center, Houston rank would be a lot higher... Our skyline would be huge.... Houston has 14 towers taller then 200meters....

39 inches in a meter

12 inches in a foot

12" x 1000' = 12,000"

This is correct, right?

I think (hope!) the previous poster was being sarcastic about not being able to convert meters to feet.

For those who don't know, you can always use Google to make such conversions for you. Just enter something like "200 meters in feet" into the search box and Google will happily do the math for you.

39 inches in a meter

12 inches in a foot

12" x 1000' = 12,000"

This is correct, right?

1 meter is slightly more than 39 inches. the only one i know by memory is 2.54 cm is an inch.

1000 ft = 304.8 m

Edited by musicman

I don't know any of the conversions, but I know where to get them when I need them. Luckily, we use metric most of the time in my physics classes at Rice. :)

I only stated meters because the article we were discussing mentioned meters.

I hope he was kidding too, but being here in Texas, you never know. :P My American grandpa has all kinds of weird misconceptions about the metro system.