I need to get in touch with a good/affordable tree trimmer. Can you guys recommend anyone?

I called a tree service that advertises on several radio and television stations in town. They wanted almost $1,500 to trim our trees. That seems expensive to me, is that normal? We don't have a huge lot, we don't even have a big lot.

We have four oak trees, a pecan tree, a sycamore tree, and a couple other smaller trees. We just want to raise the canopy and thin them out a little.

Any recommendations, other than doing it myself?

Edited by Boognish

Guest danax
tree trimming isn't cheap. the cheaper ones aren't bonded which can be a concern if the trees are over your home.

Not to mention the cheaper ones have no clue about trees or aesthetics. These clowns can turn a nabe into a third-world looking scene faster than any other outside influence. They will saw the branches haphazardly leaving ghastly stubs which ruin the beauty of the tree and also invite rot since the wound can't properly heal and seal itself. The branches should be removed as close to the trunk as possible.

$1,500 sounds pretty reasonable for all those trees, especially if they're quite old. I've paid 500 per tree, easy, to have old live oaks manicured. I am also interested in responses, as I have a monster sycamore and pecan getting too close to my roof for comfort.

In the Woodlands we used Top Cut. Very reasonable.

Houston trees must be made out of gold though as its more expensive to cut them. We used Houston Tree Service a few weeks ago for Memorial. They aren't the cheapest, Diaz Tree was, but they spoke fluent english, were bonded and insured and seems very professional and creative when it came to certain trees.

• 3 weeks later...

Boognish, did you find someone? I need to hire a tree trimmer asap to trim some branches from a pecan tree that are touching (laying on, really) the roof of my house in the Heights. Would love to call someone with whom someone else has had success.

I'll check to see if Top Cut serves the Heights.

If anyone else has recommendations, though, I'd appreciate them, too.

You also have to keep in mind the inherent dangers with tree trimming. Jobs which require a "climber" are more expensive because they have to pay that guy more.

$1,500 is a good deal. Verify that they are bonded and insured then hire them.

I just used someone I found on Angie's list. "Tree Dr." Roy Rivers. My maple tree in the front yard wasn't doing well, and my yard guy just wanted to cut it down. But Roy came out and said it was full of bores and needed to be treated, fed and trimmed. He's apparently been around a while. I never met him, he just came out to the house while I was at work, gave me an estimate and did the work the next day. 713-529-3403

I had a good experience with Champion Tree Preservation (281-320-8201). Bonded/insured/arborist association member). Had a lot of work done to a very large/old pecan and sweet gum, plus light trimming on a smallish camphor tree for $1250.

nativehou-- how do you like Angie's List? I've been looking for some opinions before deciding to pay the subscription fee.

nativehou-- how do you like Angie's List? I've been looking for some opinions before deciding to pay the subscription fee.

I've used it maybe three or four times over the last year and have had wonderful success. When I joined, it was free -- I don't know why, I guess they were having a special promotion to get people in. I just redid my kitchen using someone I found there, too.