sttombiz

3 hours ago, Caribomoa said:

The Houston Business Journal reported that Rice Stadium is looking into either a transformational renovation or a brand new stadium. I hope it’s the first 

They CHOOSE to take Houston's spot in the AAC when UH got the bump up to the Big 12.

The AAC isn't going to let Rice ignore Athletics anymore.

They are going to pressure them to improve many aspects...including facilities.

3 minutes ago, shasta said:

They CHOOSE to take Houston's spot in the AAC when UH got the bump up to the Big 12.

The AAC isn't going to let Rice ignore Athletics anymore.

They are going to pressure them to improve many aspects...including facilities.

The AAC shouldn’t have let them in if they didn’t think their facilities met up to standards

12 minutes ago, Caribomoa said:

The AAC shouldn’t have let them in if they didn’t think their facilities met up to standards

they had to...they are a G5 conference not a Power Conference which means they  can't land the established programs that are "move in ready"

They had to go after growth stocks in desirable markets.

The Houston market was already proven with UH but getting Rice to UH's level is going to be the challenge.

I can tell you the trough urinals in the Men's restrooms  are 50 years old and disgusting.

Their stadium need MAJOR renovations or a wrecking ball.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1

I wonder if they could put a grass field in Rice Stadium to use as a World Cup practice field, then demolish the stadium after July 2026?  I think we need that field for the World Cup teams…

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

Part of it. I'm pretty sure the bubble is definitely gone and there are definite talks about scrapping the old stadium and the enormous parking lot. Rice just doesn't need that large a stadium and it's way past its usefulness. It's outdated and lacks modern conveniences. It's a dinosaur and there's no way Rice could fill it.

It completely destroys the opportunity to bring the campus and the village together which would be a boon for both.

It's similar to what a lot of freeways did to early neighborhoods. Creates a wall.

When I told my friends at Rice that they were considering tearing down the stadium to build a new one, they said “how? We can’t even fill our current one”. I was like obviously the capacity will lower

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shasta said:

they had to...they are a G5 conference not a Power Conference which means they  can't land the established programs that are "move in ready"

They had to go after growth stocks in desirable markets.

The Houston market was already proven with UH but getting Rice to UH's level is going to be the challenge.

I can tell you the trough urinals in the Men's restrooms  are 50 years old and disgusting.

Their stadium need MAJOR renovations or a wrecking ball.

Yeah they had to given the circumstances but they’re in no position to dictate anymore.m. Traditionally, the AAC was the one that was too good to be G5 but too bad to be P5. Now it’s more of a real G5 conference. 

I don’t think AAC could intimidate Rice to improve their athletics even if they wanted to. And I don’t think Rice would change give in. But I do think that the AAC will give rice added revenue in the athletics department and they will use it to improve their facilities.

Edited by Caribomoa

4 hours ago, bobruss said:

Part of it. I'm pretty sure the bubble is definitely gone and there are definite talks about scrapping the old stadium and the enormous parking lot. Rice just doesn't need that large a stadium and it's way past its usefulness. It's outdated and lacks modern conveniences. It's a dinosaur and there's no way Rice could fill it.

It completely destroys the opportunity to bring the campus and the village together which would be a boon for both.

It's similar to what a lot of freeways did to early neighborhoods. Creates a wall.

❤️Be still my heart.

I played against North Shore there back in 2003 and it was already waaaaaay past its prime then. 

Wilson House will be moved by Cherry House Moving.

uQEdzoC.jpeg

jMe3adM.jpeg

lrYYPez.jpeg

ZTVepEi.jpeg

27kK7Q8.jpeg

These double wide trailers are being assembled in the northeast corner of West Lot 5. Curious what they might be for? Classrooms, dorms, or just construction offices for who knows what

Spoiler

the new stadium?

uRNvmE5.jpeg

j1ElTGl.jpeg

d0EIE7f.jpeg

CJ81fqU.jpeg

EgwOTgF.png

• Like 3

Sarofim Hall being built by Austin Commercial.

qJkfB5U.jpeg

XVhaum1.jpeg

Anslow Bryant has rolled up all the netting on all their construction projects, this is for a Rice Utility Expansion in 3 different locations. West Lot 4 where they assemble the pipe, in front of Alice Pratt Brown Hall and next to Tudor Fieldhouse.

3qnnoqH.jpeg

3Rw3qPE.jpeg

Ogn8UA7.jpeg

H8N6iXv.jpeg

KZD6p03.jpeg

rHsKFPy.jpeg

• Like 2

McNair Jones School of Business additions being built by Skanska and B. Bell Builders. They didn't roll up the netting on the construction fencing but I saw a worker on site doing some prep work for hurricane Beryl.

og0SmGF.jpeg

1J8Rjcg.jpeg

QUxgJrk.jpeg

Trailers in West Lot 5 now have skirts on the trailers, hopefully the survive the hurricane. They were tied down with traps before they added the skirts.

GGMcxQ0.jpeg

Wilson House relocation being done by Cherry House Movers and Anslow Bryant.

UJHWLFV.jpeg

mcOrhOe.jpeg

BWg7awZ.jpeg

ZApQl4E.jpeg

vVRlfXf.jpeg

teUc6SB.jpeg

btEJcyG.jpeg

vgW1y8S.jpeg

The old Sid Richardson and it will become two new colleges and a servery.

9NvMqpd.jpeg

qqRUPbZ.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

After losing the internet and television for 6 days and 23.5 hours, I'm back. Never lost electricity so I was lucky on that.

AT&T CAN'T EAT A GIANT BAG OF SHIT. 💩🤬

I'm guessing Kirksey is the architect of record because Henning Larsen are the designers of the new buildings.

https://henninglarsen.com

FXtoBwu.pngM06uqJt.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Temporary trailers in West Lot 5. Curious what they will be used for.

TFvv1Gs.jpeg

xfSUQTs.jpeg

t8Ecyz8.jpeg

Wilson House blocked up for the move west.

rPfZZ2w.jpeg

McNair Jones School of Business addition, Sycamores have been cut down and sidewalks removed.

g5KxQmo.jpeg

The football practice bubble has burst.

kRhJn0c.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

McNair Jones School of Business additions being built by Skanska and B. Bell Builders.

qSeED3f.jpeg

JB2nieS.jpeg

vtxTU10.jpeg

Sarofim Hall constructed by Austin Commercial.

BXyvMJH.jpeg

0H1jeAr.jpeg

Wilson House prepping for the move west being done by Cherry House Moving.

9rTFetI.jpeg

nCPvEei.jpeg

nADfmFp.jpeg

sIJ7HXe.jpeg

• Like 4

Two crawler cranes are now on site. The already assembled one belongs to Bigge who rents them to contractors with or without an operator. It's a Terex HC 275 with  275 ton capacity and up to 300' of boom.

https://www.bigge.com/crane-rental/cranes/terex-american-hc-275/

EWsaFl3.png3W0nEJ3.png

The other unassembled crawler crane is a Liebherr LR 1400 SX with 441 ton capacity and up to 566' of boom, it belongs to Postel Group which does steel fabrication, steel erection, crane and rigging. They fabricated and erected the steel for the Moody Center of Arts next door.

https://www.postelgroup.com

0WZKUQ9.pngdm3OmjR.png

5WpAHCG.jpeg

MIIq8Hu.jpeg

u6SycLV.jpeg

GlgHDxO.jpeg

8p4iSsr.jpeg

0Li4gk7.jpeg

Tp1vXPU.jpeg

YomqeHQ.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...