Stray Cat Strut

Lisa Gray has written an interesting article about Jim Stevenson, who killed a stray cat which he felt was threatening shore birds in Galveston.

Also, city council recently passed an ordinance requiring those who feed stray animals to have them neutered and vaccinated.

Are stray animals a problem in your neighborhood? Is this a sensible and humane solution?

You know, I'm mixed about this.

As much as I like cats (I have one who think it's human), I'd be comfortable with them being shot. Particularly if you capture them, they wouldn't be adoptable because they're feral and the SPCA would put them down anyway.

Sidestepping the news item....There's a difference between strays and ferals, and actually I think strays are the much bigger problem. Ferals have such a short life span to begin with. There are dedicated groups that do a lot to track feral colonies, trap, fix and release.

Strays are much worse because they live longer lives and breed that much more. Forget the people that do things like move and just leave their pets (oh and there are plenty, at all income levels)-- it's an education issue, first and foremost. Many people just don't consider to do it, or believe it's unnatural to spay and neuter. We feed them and love on them, but if you care about that cute dumpster kitty that you've "adopted", take it in to get fixed. SNAP has excellent programs inside the city, and there are a number of organizations in the burbs as well. Ha, so can you tell all my pets, past and present, have been street animals? I am such a sucker! And a big supporter of SNAP.

Cool. I guess I should make a donation as well. Can I just go buy and give some cash?

I need to make up for all the money I don't give to bums.

You can indeed, and that's mighty cool of you.

http://www.snapus.org/site/PageServer?page...Wellness_Clinic

The spay neuter clinic is kind of behind Pizzatolas BBQ, the shot clinic/vet is in the strip center on the

1-10 feeder at Shepherd, with the Starbucks and the Puerto Rican restaurant.

Oh. I've been there before, but only to drop off a friend (and cat)and I was too busy at the time to ask what it was. I just figured it was a vet place of some type before I had to leave.

LOL. I'm such a horrible friend. For all I knew she was going to take her pet for a permanent nap.