AT&T Building At 1407 Jefferson St.

PuroAztlan

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

There's a bunch of black poles spread out through downtown that were installed in the run up to the Super Bowl.  I asked one of the workers and they said it was "for cell phones".  I could see them going to smaller more distributed antennas and dismantling the microwave dishes on top of this building

I've seen poles like that going up around the city. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to AT&T Building Downtown
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. At 1117-1119 Capitol St.

This does not appear to be the building that is or ever was at 1117 - 1119 Capitol St.  (This photo was taken from a bygonely.com entry title "Houston in the 1930s". There was a lot of bad information given on that website, including this entry. It claims it's in the 1930s, but the car is clearly a newer model than anything from the 1930s. The thread tells us the building is at 1117-1119 Capitol.  I'm pretty sure that is incorrect.  There is a Bell Telephone building at 1121 Capitol, but this is not a picture of that building.  https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/topic/53964-att-capitol-central-office-at-1121-capitol-st/

This no doubt a Bell Telephone building, but not sure we know where it was; it may or may not be in Houston. (There were a LOT of them all over the country).  

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I think I've found it.  This appears to be an early photo of the Southwestern Bell (now AT&T) building at Austin and Jefferson.  It is much taller now, but one can clearly see a change in brick color exactly at the original height.

1407 Jefferson St.  Mods, please move this to the 1407 Jefferson thread.

• Thanks 1

There’s some confusion because my posts were originally in a different thread.  My comments stating that the photo was of the 1407 Jefferson building were in reference to the photo in Hindesky’s October 2021 post, not to the photos of the telephone building with the murals.  The building with murals is indeed in Shreveport.

• Like 2