TxDOT Highway 290 Construction Delay

avicalc

Yes, the schedule on US 290 will be pushed back. By how much is unknown. But design work has slowed (not stopped). The design firms for only one section have been selected (IH 610 interchange) when more would have been selected by now.

With the explosion of construction of new suburban neighborhoods out near Fairfield and beyond (they have added 4+ high schools in 2 years), 290 will be the worst freeway in Houston for the next decade... traffic planners should have stepped up to the plate years ago. I feel sorry for those commuters.

US 290 was doomed from the start. It was designed in the 1960's, but didn't begin construction until the mid-1970's (with the design already out of date). It reached the Beltway and FM 1960 in the mid-1980's. The entire section inside the Beltway is a 1960's era design and has neve been updated or widened save for the HOV lane.

US 290 was doomed from the start. It was designed in the 1960's, but didn't begin construction until the mid-1970's (with the design already out of date). It reached the Beltway and FM 1960 in the mid-1980's. The entire section inside the Beltway is a 1960's era design and has neve been updated or widened save for the HOV lane.

290 has been horrible for over 15 years. I don't feel sorry for the commuters, they chose to live there. With all the suburbs in this town, they could have picked an easier one to get to.

290 has been horrible for over 15 years. I don't feel sorry for the commuters, they chose to live there. With all the suburbs in this town, they could have picked an easier one to get to.

And I don't ask for your pity. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I chose to move there. I am fortunate enough to work for a company that has wide lattitude in flex time and I can time my commutes to avoid the worst congestion.

I am also surprised there hasn't been more press on this. TxDOT is in a world of hurt right now and I doubt any new projects are going to see the light of day any time soon. They just got grilled during a special session of the State Transportation and Finance Committee who basically said they were operating like a rouge organization with no accountability. During the session, it came out that they miscalculated appropriations by $1 billion (with a "b") becuase someone told someone else the wrong number.

As it stands, a lot consultants and contractors are losing their jobs becuase of the instant cuts that TxDOT is making. Now our transportation network is going to suffer too.

well, 290 may continue to be a mess, but the Hempstead toll way should still be built, no?

Also, perhaps this could spur quicker action on implementing commuter rail into downtown....there are many things that could happen besides making the freeway bigger that will alieve congestion. I would actually prefer the two I have mentioned above, as some studies have shown that widening a road does not help with congestion....don't really want to revisit that debate here, just pointing to alternatives....

The Hempstead Managed Lanes can be done independently since HCTRA is not dependent on federal funding. However, I don't know if they will. I would think they will work out some kind of agreement with TxDOT to get that facility started sooner.

It appears that HCTRA is moving forward with plans to build the Hempstead tollway. The following item appeared on the agenda for the last commissioners court meeting

Recommendation for authorization to negotiate with:

a. Cobb Fendley & Associates to coordinate subsurface utility engineering in

Precincts 3 and 4 as part of the Hempstead General Engineering Consultant

Team.

e. JNS Consulting Engineers, Inc., and RODS Surveying for right of way mapping

and PBS&J and Survcon for land surveying services as part of the Hempstead

General Engineering Consultant Team for the Hempstead tollway facility from

Huffmeister Road to IH-610 in Precincts 3 and 4.

So it looks like engineering work will be underway soon. My concern about the Hempstead tollway is that it will not be wide enough with only two lanes each way and no room to expand, just like the Westpark Tollway. If the present TxDOT funding situation persists, it could be a very long time before the 290 freeway is rebuilt and expanded. However, I do expect the reconstruction work at the 290/Loop 610 interchange to proceed more quickly since that will tie into the toll road.

I am also surprised there hasn't been more press on this. TxDOT is in a world of hurt right now and I doubt any new projects are going to see the light of day any time soon. They just got grilled during a special session of the State Transportation and Finance Committee who basically said they were operating like a rouge organization with no accountability. During the session, it came out that they miscalculated appropriations by $1 billion (with a "b") becuase someone told someone else the wrong number.

As it stands, a lot consultants and contractors are losing their jobs becuase of the instant cuts that TxDOT is making. Now our transportation network is going to suffer too.

welcome to the forum kittyhawk. happy to have you.

it's good to see maxconcrete too. i haven't seen you around. great input as always.

My concern about the Hempstead tollway is that it will not be wide enough with only two lanes each way and no room to expand, just like the Westpark Tollway. If the present TxDOT funding situation persists, it could be a very long time before the 290 freeway is rebuilt and expanded. However, I do expect the reconstruction work at the 290/Loop 610 interchange to proceed more quickly since that will tie into the toll road.

A study was done that recommended to HCTRA to build the Hempstead Managed Lanes with 3 lanes each way out to FM 1960.

Whether they actually do it or not is up to them.

US 290 is still alive, but moving much more slowly than it was before and will certainly be delayed by several years.

With the explosion of construction of new suburban neighborhoods out near Fairfield and beyond (they have added 4+ high schools in 2 years), 290 will be the worst freeway in Houston for the next decade... traffic planners should have stepped up to the plate years ago. I feel sorry for those commuters.

Like CDeb said, they knew what they were getting into when they bought/built out there. Cheap home prices, low-crime, and country suburb-living drew them in - but they still pay a psychological toll every-time they get on US290.

And I don't ask for your pity. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I chose to move there. I am fortunate enough to work for a company that has wide lattitude in flex time and I can time my commutes to avoid the worst congestion.

You're the exception to the rule, in both ways. I hear people whine about having to use 290 all the time. They also never brag about flex-time work hours.

I hear people whine about having to use 290 all the time.

Of course, they have a point to a certain extent. US 290 is desperately in need of an upgrade considering the number of people already there and the number of people arriving daily. And also considering the amount of gasoline they burn on US 290 (and hence, the amount of gasoline taxes they are paying without seeing any benefit), it is certainly reasonable to state that US 290 should be one of TxDOT's top priorities.

You're the exception to the rule, in both ways. I hear people whine about having to use 290 all the time. They also never brag about flex-time work hours.

I think 290 is great except during rush hour...I also hear people whine about the commute all the time, but I here people from the Woodlands and Katy all the time as well. The Woodlands, Katy, and Cypress all have around a 45 to 75 minute commute each way with Cypress at the higher end of the range more often (and the only one mentioned without a toll way). If they build a toll road, I think that will help immensly along with expanding the park and ride service and extending the HOV lane past Eldridge...all things that can still be accomplished without widening 290.

I agree that there need to be more companies placing emphasis and encouraging flex-time, but I also think that is changing...

My concern about the Hempstead tollway is that it will not be wide enough with only two lanes each way and no room to expand, just like the Westpark Tollway. If the present TxDOT funding situation persists, it could be a very long time before the 290 freeway is rebuilt and expanded. However, I do expect the reconstruction work at the 290/Loop 610 interchange to proceed more quickly since that will tie into the toll road.

I agree on this point--2 lanes won't be nearly enough to handle the demand for this facility. However, the tolling here will truly be dynamic. The price will go up as the facility gets more congested--just like the Katy Tollway is going to do. That will control the congestion somewhat.

Why would you feel sorry for those commuters?

It's not as if 290 has been anything other than SUCK for the last decade and yet people still keep moving out that way. It's a CHOICE.

I think 290 is great except during rush hour...I also hear people whine about the commute all the time, but I here people from the Woodlands and Katy all the time as well. The Woodlands, Katy, and Cypress all have around a 45 to 75 minute commute each way with Cypress at the higher end of the range more often (and the only one mentioned without a toll way). If they build a toll road, I think that will help immensly along with expanding the park and ride service and extending the HOV lane past Eldridge...all things that can still be accomplished without widening 290.

I agree that there need to be more companies placing emphasis and encouraging flex-time, but I also think that is changing...

I agree 290 has never been that bad for me even during rush hour you just plan to spend an hour in traffic unless you use the HOV lanes. The only time it really sucks for me is when there is an accident or worse multiple accidents.

So it looks like engineering work will be underway soon. My concern about the Hempstead tollway is that it will not be wide enough with only two lanes each way and no room to expand, just like the Westpark Tollway. If the present TxDOT funding situation persists, it could be a very long time before the 290 freeway is rebuilt and expanded. However, I do expect the reconstruction work at the 290/Loop 610 interchange to proceed more quickly since that will tie into the toll road.

A question for the expert: do you believe that double-decking a tollway such as this one or Westpark could be viable? For instance, so as to have four toll lanes coming inbound on top and four toll lanes going outbound on bottom? Even if only to serve the part of 290 inside the Beltway?

Edited by TheNiche

I agree 290 has never been that bad for me even during rush hour you just plan to spend an hour in traffic unless you use the HOV lanes. The only time it really sucks for me is when there is an accident or worse multiple accidents.

In my experience it never takes more than one accident, and a minor one at that, to bring a highway/freeway to its knees....

do you believe that double-decking a tollway such as this one or Westpark could be viable?

I don't think it would be viable for the Hempstead tollway. The reason is due to the nearby 290 freeway which will still pick up most of the traffic in the corridor, and the tollway will only get heavy revenue-generating traffic during rush hour. It will be a situation like the Hardy Toll road, which has historically been financially marginal since most traffic takes I-45. Since finances will be tight, expensive designs will not be feasible.

Westpark could be more viable since it has less direct competition for traffic and gets more off-peak revenue. (I realize the Katy Freeway offers an alternative for some, but it is quite far away.) I could possibly envision a structure above the light-rail set-aside, leaving space for trains below, but I still think that would likely be financially prohibitive. I recently received a report that Traffic Engineers has a large contract to do a Westpark study.

Westpark could be more viable since it has less direct competition for traffic and gets more off-peak revenue. (I realize the Katy Freeway offers an alternative for some, but it is quite far away.) I could possibly envision a structure above the light-rail set-aside, leaving space for trains below, but I still think that would likely be financially prohibitive. I recently received a report that Traffic Engineers has a large contract to do a Westpark study.

I can understand the reasoning where Hempstead Highway is concerned, but with Westpark, it seems more as though the larger problem is not so much capacity as it is how to join it with the Southwest Freeway, the West Loop, and Beltway 8 more efficiently.

I can understand the reasoning where Hempstead Highway is concerned, but with Westpark, it seems more as though the larger problem is not so much capacity as it is how to join it with the Southwest Freeway, the West Loop, and Beltway 8 more efficiently.

That same problem will be present on the Hempstead...I mean, how they join it with 610 and I-10, and the resulting delays will probably have a large impact on the success of the roadway....

A question for the expert: do you believe that double-decking a tollway such as this one or Westpark could be viable? For instance, so as to have four toll lanes coming inbound on top and four toll lanes going outbound on bottom? Even if only to serve the part of 290 inside the Beltway?

The only experience I have with a double decker freeway is I-35 in Austin....lets just say people aren't big fans. However, a main artery and a supplemental tollway are very different things. I think it could work very well for a road like this...but I don't know if the toll revenue would ever recover the intial capital investment of building the second deck...

Edit: Typo

Edited by cnote

That same problem will be present on the Hempstead...I mean, how they join it with 610 and I-10, and the resulting delays will probably have a large impact on the success of the roadway....

The new US 290/IH 610/HML interchange will be an amazing improvement from the current situation. From US 290 and the HML, you will be able to exit directly to IH 10 without having to drive on IH 610, eliminating much of the "mega-weave" that this section of the west loop has become. From IH-10 you wil be able to directly access US 290 and the HML.

The new US 290/IH 610/HML interchange will be an amazing improvement from the current situation. From US 290 and the HML, you will be able to exit directly to IH 10 without having to drive on IH 610, eliminating much of the "mega-weave" that this section of the west loop has become. From IH-10 you wil be able to directly access US 290 and the HML.

That is great news to a lot of people...hopefully this won't slow down I-10 inside the loop too badly, as it is fairly free flowing now...

What about having a unidirectional freeway with reversible lanes? I never drive out that far north so I'm not sure if the traffic is mostly unidirectional.