Home At 1212 Studewood St.

COKEACOLA

There is and always should be a discount for living on a busy street. If you can tolerate cars passing all day then I would take advantage of making a bigger discount out of it with the seller. Insulating the walls and updating the windows does help a bit to decrease the noise. But, if the house is pier and beam then sound will travel through the floor also.

I looked at this house when it was listed higher. It is really nice inside and just needs some updating. It was my 2nd choice so I never put an offer in on it. However I have seen it on and off the market since before June last year... This makes me think people back out once an inspection is done. There are some very odd drawings in the "garage". Its too small to be more then a shed really.

Note that the house appears to have asbestos siding.

Other than aesthetics, what objections do you have to that? I've never heard of any potential dangers and there is concrete based replacements available. Must have been a popular "upgrade" in the '70's or so because there's lots of it in the area.

Other than aesthetics, what objections do you have to that? I've never heard of any potential dangers and there is concrete based replacements available. Must have been a popular "upgrade" in the '70's or so because there's lots of it in the area.

Asbestos siding is not that dangerous; in fact, the stuff is pretty inert. The only "danger" lies in the small amount dust that is produced when the tiles are broken. You'd have to directly inhale the dust to have any effect on your body. Even then, it's probably not enough to hurt you. If the stuff was really all that dangerous, they'd take more precautions when demolishing all the old buildings that are covered with it.

That said, the stuff is not that attractive. It's kind of like the 1950s version of vinyl siding.

I agree completely that there is really no health issue or maintenance issue with asbestos siding - it's only aesthetics.

However, your average pinhead Realtor, and most uneducated buyers, will view it is a big negative, and thus the value of the house is disproportionately affected because it has "asbestos". It's like the OMG Granite Countertops! effect in reverse.

Many of these houses still have the original (and hopefully cypress) siding underneath, so you can hire some cash-only day laborers on a Sunday to pull the asbestos off, repaint, and realize at least a 10% bump in the value of the house.

There is and always should be a discount for living on a busy street. If you can tolerate cars passing all day then I would take advantage of making a bigger discount out of it with the seller. Insulating the walls and updating the windows does help a bit to decrease the noise. But, if the house is pier and beam then sound will travel through the floor also.

i lived in dallas on Skillman St, very similar in traffic to Studewood. Honestly, the traffic just became a hum to me and even helped me sleep at night (white noise). the big concern with a street like that is kids and animals, but again, this house seems to have a large yard.

i lived in dallas on Skillman St, very similar in traffic to Studewood. Honestly, the traffic just became a hum to me and even helped me sleep at night (white noise). the big concern with a street like that is kids and animals, but again, this house seems to have a large yard.

JMHO, but I used to live one lot off 11th and found the street noise very annoying. Inside the house it wasn't too bad, but you'd notice when a bus went by. Outside was very bad. One of my favorite things about moving is how much quieter it was and how much more enjoyable it is to relax outside.

The link doesn't work, and searching on that address doesn't return any results. Problems with the new HAR.com upgrade, or did it really drop off the site after (very) quickly going under contract?

It went under option on January 25th and closed February 8th at a sales price of 161,500 (16K over the asking price).

• The title was changed to 1212 Studewood St.
  • The title was changed to Home At 1212 Studewood St.