Clever ad

Saw this in Columbus, Ohio. This is a 3D take on those annoying "Life comes at you fast" ads you see on TV all the time from Nationwide Insurance. Not surprisingly, this was in a parking lot down the street from Nationwide's HQ.

med_gallery_1_65_272268.jpg

gallery_1_65_382319.jpg

geeze, including the cars and pavement into it is pretty cool.

I think it has a great impact, and it probably didn't cost that much. All they had to do is rent the two parking spaces, get a couple of junkers, and maybe pay a little extra (maybe the same as an extra space) to paint the parking lot. That's probably nothing compared to the cost of renting the three billboards above the parking lot.

Someone should get an A in advertising class.

I think it has a great impact, and it probably didn't cost that much. All they had to do is rent the two parking spaces, get a couple of junkers, and maybe pay a little extra (maybe the same as an extra space) to paint the parking lot. That's probably nothing compared to the cost of renting the three billboards above the parking lot.

Someone should get an A in advertising class.

I wonder what the environmental impact of that paint is and who pays for that?

I'm threadjacking a little here, but it's topical... speaking of advertising... and I know Memebag appreciates a little protest, so:

I know lots of people hate the billboards along our freeways (should I stop calling them freeways since they may not continue to be free?). Mayor White has claimed he is trying to get rid of them. I know I hate them.

So should we (that "we" means those of us who hate them) encourage companies to stop advertising on them? If Clear Channel keeps getting takers, then billboards are still good business. I'm thinking of Continental and U of Houston, in particular; also perhaps the Rockets. These are all Houston-based "companies" that I've noticed using billboards. Perhaps they could be encouraged to help beautify the city by not advertising on the billboards. What do you think? This idea has been in the back of my mind, but usually as I speed past a billboard on my way to work, where I immediately have other things to do, so I haven't acted on it yet.

I wonder what the environmental impact of that paint is and who pays for that?

I guess it depends on the kind of paint they were using. If they were trying hard they might have gotten some leftover paint from one of the local factories that was going to be dumped anyway. But considering the color they chose, that's probably not likely.

I bet if anyone asks, Nationwide would say that it purchased carbon credits or something to offset whatever negative environmental impact there might be. That's what HAIF does. We're carbon-neutral.

So should we (that "we" means those of us who hate them) encourage companies to stop advertising on them?

If everyone who hates billboards stops buying from companies that use them, it will have some impact on those companies. The effect will be that only companies whose customers like or don't mind billboards will use them. I don't think it will reduce the number of billboards, but it might lower the price a little.

I guess it depends on the kind of paint they were using. If they were trying hard they might have gotten some leftover paint from one of the local factories that was going to be dumped anyway. But considering the color they chose, that's probably not likely.

I bet if anyone asks, Nationwide would say that it purchased carbon credits or something to offset whatever negative environmental impact there might be. That's what HAIF does. We're carbon-neutral.

But what impact will that paint have as it erodes and when it is removed? I wonder what sort of paint they used.

I'm threadjacking a little here, but it's topical... speaking of advertising... and I know Memebag appreciates a little protest, so:

I know lots of people hate the billboards along our freeways (should I stop calling them freeways since they may not continue to be free?). Mayor White has claimed he is trying to get rid of them. I know I hate them.

So should we (that "we" means those of us who hate them) encourage companies to stop advertising on them? If Clear Channel keeps getting takers, then billboards are still good business. I'm thinking of Continental and U of Houston, in particular; also perhaps the Rockets. These are all Houston-based "companies" that I've noticed using billboards. Perhaps they could be encouraged to help beautify the city by not advertising on the billboards. What do you think? This idea has been in the back of my mind, but usually as I speed past a billboard on my way to work, where I immediately have other things to do, so I haven't acted on it yet.

E-mail is having more and more of an impact on companies these days. One e-mail from one fringe lunatic doesn't have much impact. But if everyone who hates freeway billboards sent an e-mail to the right people at UH or Continental or wherever, it would be noticed eventually.

Another route to go is to post comments on corporate blogs. Many companies have blogs now, and they are usually monitored.

Another route to go is to post comments on corporate blogs. Many companies have blogs now, and they are usually monitored.

Yet another route is to learn to love billboards. I'm not sure how to go about that. You might have to grow up immersed in them. Sugar Land's lack of them creeps me out.

The best encouragement there could be for them to stop using billboards would be the emergence of another medium that is widely visible by many people on a daily basis. Where I live now, I scarcely see billboards off the highway (all the highways here are tollways), and I see lots of ads on trains and stations. Perhaps the decline of billboards in Houston will coincide with the proliferation of mass transit. One can hope, anyway.

This Parking Garage-rank Haifer can hope. :lol:

If everyone who hates billboards stops buying from companies that use them, it will have some impact on those companies. The effect will be that only companies whose customers like or don't mind billboards will use them. I don't think it will reduce the number of billboards, but it might lower the price a little.

But what impact will that paint have as it erodes and when it is removed? I wonder what sort of paint they used.

I work in advertising (well ... marketing). Billboard placement is not always about selling something, as much as it is about branding for when you are ready to buy something or make a decision.

Not buying will have very little impact on whether a company advertises on billboards.

At least it doesn't in our marketing efforts.

I work in advertising (well ... marketing). Billboard placement is not always about selling something, as much as it is about branding for when you are ready to buy something or make a decision.

Not buying will have very little impact on whether a company advertises on billboards.

At least it doesn't in our marketing efforts.

Huh? It isn't about selling, but it is about buying? How can someone buy without someone else selling?

branding is the idea that if you see something enough, it is the first "brand" you'll think of when you go to buy a particular item or service. a mild form of brainwashing for the unsuspecting masses. mwahaahaahaaa!

Exactly, just look at all the ads you see all day. Some you notice, some you don't. Like the ads on HAIF, there might be one for McDonald's chicken sandwiches. Now, normally you may not eat McDonalds or even eat chicken sandwiches, but one day you are driving by a McDonalds and you're hungry, subliminally (and through thousands of impressions you've seen before about a chicken sandwich) you stop and buy one.

Or you might just buy something else from McDonalds because of the association in your brain from seeing the ads so much, you think of them first for a snack.

Keep writing! You're only 47 posts away from being a museum!

Excellent...Museum sounds much nicer.

By the way...45 now.

MWA HA HA!!

As much as I despise billboards, I do miss the Chik-Fil-A cow billboards.

"Eat Mor Chikin"

Edited by mojeaux131

branding is the idea that if you see something enough, it is the first "brand" you'll think of when you go to buy a particular item or service. a mild form of brainwashing for the unsuspecting masses. mwahaahaahaaa!

Marketing people call it branding. Salespeople call it advertising. Same thing, different jargon. If billboards stop selling Coke, Coke stops buying billboards.

Marketing people call it branding. Salespeople call it advertising. Same thing, different jargon. If billboards stop selling Coke, Coke stops buying billboards.

That's like what you said earlier. But do you think it's possible for people to actively contribute to this? Should there be a sort of website or grassroots campaign that targets products advertised on billboards and then directs boycotts of these very products or brands? How would it work? How do we make something (billboards) stop doing something (selling products)?

(I'm not dubious of your ideas, but curious as to how you would implement them.)

Edited by mojeaux131

That's like what you said earlier. But do you think it's possible for people to actively contribute to this?

Possible, but not likely.

Should there be a sort of website or grassroots campaign that targets products advertised on billboards and then directs boycotts of these very products or brands?

Sure, if they want to.

How would it work? How do we make something (billboards) stop doing something (selling products)?

Stop buying products advertised on billboards?

(I'm not dubious of your ideas, but curious as to how you would implement them.)

I wouldn't. I like billboards. I hate TV commercials, though. I stopped watching them about 9 years ago when I got my first DVR. Billboards are one of the few ways to reach me now.