James P. Lee

dbigtex56

From the Houston Chronicle (May 16, 2008):

James P. Lee, a Houston lawyer and photography enthusiast who helped preserve for future generations a large collection of historical photos of Houston, died Tuesday in his home, one day after his 82nd birthday.

The collection, amassed over about 70 years by the Bailey brothers, Bob and Marvin, consists of about 500,000 photographs and movies.

In 1998, Lee spearheaded the acquisition of the negatives and photos from Marvin Bailey by the Houston Architectural and Photographic Foundation Trust.

"(Lee) set up and funded the foundation almost entirely himself," said Jim Saye, who worked with Lee in obtaining the pictures.

Link

What a wonderful legacy.

Link to Bob Bailey collection

I never knew his name but I have benefited a great deal from his contribution and am very grateful.

I spent many hours perusing the old Houston Architectural and Photographic Trust collection (which was much easier to use than the way UT has it organized) and for a time thought it was the collection of one of the luminaries here on HAIF, generously shared.

I hope UT has plans to eventually get the entire collection on line and maybe improve the finding aids - I remember numerous photos from the old site that I've never been able to find on the UT site.

A thourough search of his home/s needs to be done ASAP. More than likely he still had numerous stills, etc in storage as most photographers would.

There was a story about 3 years ago where one of these early photographers old studios had hundreds upon hundreds of old negatives and pics. Sadly most were so far into deterioration stage they were simply unsalvageable. The materials used at the time were just not meant to last for decades and desolved or practically became mush after being stored in old cardboard boxes (acid) ate away at them.

Imagine the stories this man could tell. I could sit for hours on end just listening to him. These people are living history. Hopefully he has memoirs, etc. -_-

• 2 months later...
How come the Bob Bailey photos on the website are so damn small? Come to think of it, how come photos are always so small on websites? We certainly have come a long way since dial-up days.

Does anyone know if Bob Bailey photos can still be viewed in Houston somewhere? There was a studio where you could walk in and view right?

Last time I saw a big collection of his pics on display was the basement of then Foley's Downtown and it was of the 1947 grand opening. Clear, sharp photo's!

Answer's? :(

Does anyone know if Bob Bailey photos can still be viewed in Houston somewhere? There was a studio where you could walk in and view right?

Last time I saw a big collection of his pics on display was the basement of then Foley's Downtown and it was of the 1947 grand opening. Clear, sharp photo's!

Answer's? :(

There are a bunch of Bob Bailey photographs here in the Texas Medical Center in the 1st floor of the BCM building that houses the Chipotle and Starbucks. This is the building next to the St Luke's Medical Tower (two needle building). They are very interesting to look at and are all over the 1st floor halls of this building.

Kevin Jackson

There are a bunch of Bob Bailey photographs here in the Texas Medical Center in the 1st floor of the BCM building that houses the Chipotle and Starbucks. This is the building next to the St Luke's Medical Tower (two needle building). They are very interesting to look at and are all over the 1st floor halls of this building.

Kevin Jackson

Thanks a million! Sure am glad I asked. Most of us long time Houstonian's and (new arrivals) would never know such things.

I am serious, Bob Bailey should be featured on one of those PBS progams like American Masters or pioneer's in Film, anything. I will buy the DVD! Major unsung hero in my book.

Be sure to tell ALL of your pals in Med Center to join Haif! :D More the merrier. Thanks again.