2008 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: Obama (D-IL) vs. McCain (R-AZ)

Trae

Next United States President  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
    • Other

Turns out, this is not entirely correct. It is JOE THE PLUMBER!

No, Joe will have to fire his nephew apprentice, Vinny, if he intends to keep the same profit margin under Obama's tax hike. Just like the MickeyD's owner will cut Jimmy's job.

McCain was acting McCrazyTrain.

Obama offers a real plan for health care. He offers some solid ideas on the economy and clearly will surround himself with capable people. He also offers ideas for education that are far superior to just vouchers. I also appreciated his candor with regards to the abortion issues/Supreme Court nominations line of questioning. He is the superior candidate and the polls are starting to clearly show that fact.

I am dumbfounded by McCain. Tonight's performance was a clear pep-rally for the base. The problem is that base is way too small to win a national election even with today's ruling that might throw out 600,000 newly registered voters in Ohio due to only 1/3rd of those having some database matching errors (meaning 400,000 valid new voters might be forced to vote on provisional ballots).

When McCain was commenting about women's "health" with regards to late-term abortions my draw dropped. Was he REALLY saying that "health" is a trumped up term by women and doctors to strike up the abortion mills? And he wonders why women everywhere aren't falling all over him for picking Palin...

You really have no clue what Obama's "healthcare plan" would do to the taxpayers if his "pre-existing condition" insurance coverage is enacted, do you ? There is a reason why your Allstate rep. wants to look at your car before giving you comp. and collision.

Edited by TJones

No, Joe will have to fire his nephew apprentice, Vinny, if he intends to keep the same profit margin under Obama's tax hike. Just like the MickeyD's owner will cut Jimmy's job.

I never knew small business owners were such greedy selfish bastards. Joe would fire his nephew over $2400? He seemed like a decent guy on TV.

mccainassgrab.jpg

What the hell is going on here? :lol:

Obama knew he lost the debate so he decided to "Gas" McCain.

As soon as I saw McCain make that face last night, I turned to my wife and said, why on Earth would he make an idiot move like that ??? There is your "Gaffe" on the night folks.

You really have no clue what Obama's "healthcare plan" would do to the taxpayers if his "pre-existing condition" insurance coverage is enacted, do you ? There is a reason why your Allstate rep. wants to look at your car before giving you comp. and collision.

Funny thing is, I acually DO know what his plan would do because it is based on the Massachusetts model that was drawn up by MITT ROMNEY and implemented by Deval Patrick.

I now enjoy health insurance that is way more affordable than it was before. I was able to CHOOSE a plan that works for me and my small business was exempted because I only have 3 total employees. That said, all of my employees are now able to afford plans that work for them.

As for the insurance companies, if they drastically raise prices because they have to cover pre-existing conditions, then they will no longer be part of the plan. It's really that simple... have access to MILLIONS OF PEOPLE paying into the system or get blocked out of it. Which choice do you think they'll make?

I actually think McCain won the debate last night. He finally got a few hit points in. Letting Obama talk over him the first two debates obviously wasn't a winning strategy. Obama really came off like somebody you'd like to take a law school class from but not really the governing type.

Funny thing is, Joe the plumber isn't a registered or licensed plumber according to the Toledo Blade newspaper. They checked records in Ohio and Michigan (Toledo is close to the border) and found nothing...

http://www.toledoblade.com

Uh-oh. He's also got a lean on his property for unpaid property taxes. Seems he's got more to worry about than whether or not an unregistered and unlicensed plumber can buy a plumbing business.

Funny thing is, Joe the plumber isn't a registered or licensed plumber according to the Toledo Blade newspaper. They checked records in Ohio and Michigan (Toledo is close to the border) and found nothing...

Uh-oh. He's also got a lean on his property for unpaid property taxes. Seems he's got more to worry about than whether or not an unregistered and unlicensed plumber can buy a plumbing business.

They also listed on CNN that a license isn't required in that state. Whatever.

Joe doesn't need a license in his name, the actual owner of the company he works for has one, so what's your point ?

Joe doesn't need a license in his name, the actual owner of the company he works for has one, so what's your point ?

"Mr. Wurzelbacher said he works under Al Newell's license, but according to Ohio building regulations, he must maintain his own license to do plumbing work."

"He is also not registered to operate as a plumber in Ohio, which means he's not a plumber."

That's my point. Joe the Plumber isn't really a plumber.

You know, I like ol' Joe. He seems to be handling his 15 minutes well. But, the poor guy seems to be trying to contort himself to fit into the GOP mold, rather than accept facts. He complained about paying more taxes if he were lucky enough someday to make more than $250,000. The fact that Obama's proposed increase would only be 3.6% of the income above $250,000 seemed lost on him. Yet, later, when told he would receive a tax cut under Obama's tax plan, he said he wouldn't want it. Well, does he want to pay more taxes or doesn't he? He seems to fall into that GOP group that refuses to do math. He, like McCain, wants no more taxes for the rich, and no more for the middle class. There are tax cuts for corporations, small businesses, and trust fund babies. But, there are no corresponding spending cuts, either. He says he'll go after that $18 Billion in earmarks, but we'll still have the $200 Billion we spend in Iraq, and the $1.8 TRILLION spent juicing the economy.

I am afraid Joe, like many other Americans who cannot (or will not) do math, may be in for a rude awakening someday.

He seems to fall into that GOP group that refuses to do math.

He's not Joe the Mathematician, Red! He's full of hope! He's so full of hope that he will vote as if he had a much larger income than he really does. I think that hope may be related to how Americans spend...

McCain and Obama both appeared at the Al Smith dinner in New York.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/16/t...a_n_135454.html

Frankly, I thought McCain won this debate. Too bad no one saw this one. :D

Some of the better lines...

From McCain:

"Maverick I can do but messiah is above my paygrade."

He also made light of the controversy surrounding his "that one" comment at the second debate when he said that it was simply his pet name for Obama. "He doesn't mind at all. In fact, he has given me the pet name, 'George Bush.'

From Obama:

"I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton. I was sent here by my father Jorel to save the planet Earth... Many of you know that I got my name from my father. "Barack" is Swahili for "That one." I got my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't realize I would run for president."

"Fox News accused me of fathering two African-American children in wedlock."

"While the housing crisis has been hard on all of us, we must keep in mind it has been eight times harder on John McCain."

Red, MSNBC ran the clips of McCain and Obama during the Rachel Maddow show. They were both pretty good, especially McCain's ending where he constructed a VERY HIGH BAR for Obama who performed last.

My favorite Obama quip was about how McCain and Al Smith used to have some great times back in the days before Prohibition.

I missed quite a bit because I was flipping back and forth between MSNBC, the Red Sox game, and TCU/BYU.

Other good Obama lines included;

On the Waldorf Astoria: "They tell me, from the doorstep, you can see all the way to the Russian Tea Room!"

On Rudy Guliani: "I have never, not once, put lipstick on a pig. Or a pit bull. Or myself. Rudy Guliani, that's one for you. I mean... who would have thought that a cross-dressing mayor from New York City would have a tough time winning the Republican nomination. It's shocking. That was a tough primary you had there, John."

Edited by KinkaidAlum

McCain took this one. From an AP story:

McCain joked that Democrats had already begun attacking Joe the Plumber, the Ohio man whom he referred to in Wednesday night's debate, and claimed "that this honest, hardworking small businessman could not possibly have enough income to face a tax increase under the Obama plan."

"What they don't know is that Joe the Plumber recently signed a very lucrative contract with a wealthy couple to handle all the work on all seven of their houses," McCain said, drawing laughter with the reference to his property holdings.

Some random thoughts as I read the Chron this morning:

Obama's tax plan cuts taxes on ~81% of Americans, not 95%.

The thing about "100% of McCain's ads being negative" is not true. This one did not even pass the intuition test, since how could that even possibly be true? I didn't like it since both bringing up that "stat" and the way Obama mentioned it had a definite malingering quality that I did not like at all.

I think "Joe the Plumber" is/was a McCain plant.

not sure if we're breaking out of the darkness.

It really sucks for whoever gets to be president next. They get to inherit a really bad recession and a war. They're either going to have to raise taxes or put the country deeper into debt. The McCain concept of making things easier on corporations as a means to stimulating job creation and thus tax revenue doesn't seem like it can work right now. The example he keeps bringing up -- Ireland -- is not a good one since Ireland was the first country into the eurozone to go into recession. Why would we want to follow that model?

Edited by N Judah

Is it just me or do people just not seem to excited about this election. I'm not seeing as many candidate bumper stickers or yard signs as I have in past elections. I wonder if it's because to many people feel as I do, that BOTH candidates suck and the USA is screwed either way?

Is it just me or do people just not seem to excited about this election. I'm not seeing as many candidate bumper stickers or yard signs as I have in past elections. I wonder if it's because to many people feel as I do, that BOTH candidates suck and the USA is screwed either way?

I can tell you one reason you aren't seeing yard signs. They get stolen. Ours was gone less than 48 hours after we put it out. My friend has hers stolen 3 times.

Very mature behavior, isn't it?

It's just you. I think almost all of the excited people are those who are tired of Bush and/or hopeful about Obama. Maybe you're just visiting neighborhoods with lots of Bush and/or McCain supporters.

It's just you. I think almost all of the excited people are those who are tired of Bush and/or hopeful about Obama. Maybe you're just visiting neighborhoods with lots of Bush and/or McCain supporters.

Guess I'm just dreaming. Kind of like Obama supporters.

I can tell you one reason you aren't seeing yard signs. They get stolen. Ours was gone less than 48 hours after we put it out. My friend has hers stolen 3 times.

Very mature behavior, isn't it?

I had to take my girlfriend's Obama bumper sticker off of her car because she was being harassed on the road by other drivers.

"Beware of those in whom the will to punish is strong"

-Nietzsche