Ordering fish without killing the planet

By now everyone knows the old restaurant scam of calling Patagonian Toothfish "Chilean Sea Bass" and pretending it's something other than the crappiest fish in the ocean. But a lot of people are still confused about what fish is OK to order in a restaurant without putting too much pressure on the dwindling stocks of fish left.

Today in my grocery delivery was a handy pocket guide put together by the local aquarium. I thought it was pretty cool because I've stopped ordering fish in restaurants because I can never remember what's good to eat and what isn't. So I thought I'd share the guide with the group.

gallery_1_86_86505.jpg

gallery_1_86_104869.jpg

I can't help but wonder whether a list like this does more harm than good to the endangered fish. Someone like myself, for instance, sees that certain fish populations may be endangered and develops a strong preference to eat more of the scarce fish before it either becomes unavailable from overfishing or from government action.

On the very night that this was posted, I dined on grilled Mahi Mahi. The next night it was Snapper smothered in a spicy barbeque sauce. And then, even though I hadn't planned on it, baked Atlantic Salmon was had on Saturday with my aunt and grandparents. Porchman's awareness is very tasty.

I'm looking for a place that serves traditional fish and chips made with Atlantic Cod. Any suggestions?

But I love my farmed raised Salmon. :( You'd think at $10/lb they could do something better.

It's mainly markup. The WSJ had an article a while back looking at restaurant pricing. Fish and vegetables had among the highest profit margins on the menu.

I can't help but wonder whether a list like this does more harm than good to the endangered fish. Someone like myself, for instance, sees that certain fish populations may be endangered and develops a strong preference to eat more of the scarce fish before it either becomes unavailable from overfishing or from government action.

On the very night that this was posted, I dined on grilled Mahi Mahi. The next night it was Snapper smothered in a spicy barbeque sauce. And then, even though I hadn't planned on it, baked Atlantic Salmon was had on Saturday with my aunt and grandparents. Porchman's awareness is very tasty.

I'm looking for a place that serves traditional fish and chips made with Atlantic Cod. Any suggestions?

I do this every time one of those 'quit smoking' ads comes on TV. Clearly, the people that create these ads are non-smokers, or they would be able to find a way to get their point across without making me spark one up. In the same way, these fish savers may be causing hunger pangs for Niche and others not as enamored with 'awareness'.