Help! New Houstonian needs tire-buying advice

Hello!

I discovered HAIF back when I still lived in metro NYC and was thinking of relocating for family reasons...I took the plunge and moved here three months ago. (I'm in Sugar Land but we'll go with Houstonian for the subject title <g>.) I wasn't sure of the right forum for my query but went with the "traffic" idea -- that's close to tires, right?

Anyway...in the first week here I bought a 2002 Toyota Highlander. Somewhere along the line I recently got at least two nails in a rear tire -- and took it to a Discount Tire to get it patched. Guy told me my front two tires really should be replaced (now that I know the "quarter test", he's right) and since the nail is in a rear tire, I figure it's time to get a full set of four. I was so shocked though I said I needed time to research and make a decision, so I've done nothing yet (other than eyeballing that tire every five minutes.) It appears these are the original Goodyear Integritys, made in 2001. There were only 39K miles on it when I bought it, so it appears to have been gently owned, but age is age, especially in the Houston heat, no?

So...which ones to get, and where to get them?? Tire size is P225/70R16/ 101S...I am so over-researched and over-analyzing at this point I am frozen. I swear to you I bought the damn CAR in less than half an hour, and have spent DAYS trying to decide on tires! I want to get a very good tire and not cheap myself out but I don't want to overspend either. I'm thinking the Michelin LTX M/S... but the whole idea of "mud and snow" tires seems odd in Houston...the latter won't ever be and issue and I have no plans to take the car off-road. I am not working yet but I also don't plan to spend any significant time on highways -- I'm a "regular streets" kind of gal.

I've spoken to Michelin directly (rep told me to "wait until mid-August for the new Latitude Tour tires"); Discount Tire, NTB, Sam's Club, WalMart.... DT has an 'unsatisfactory' BBB rating, which is a bit of a concern. I'd like to get them somewhere that I am happy to go back for the free balancing/rotating, etc. (I've been told to order off Tire Rack but I want to do "one stop shopping.) I've also been warned that NTB would likely try to talk me into extra stuff... is it worth getting the "Road Hazard" program? I'm also confused about the treadwear warranties; some Michelins have and others don't.

WalMart does not appear to carry Michelins, at least on their website they don't offer them for my car. Sam's Club does, but doesn't do alignment. How important is that? DT doesn't, NTB does...latter is also open both weekend days.

The WalMart or Sam's just off Highway 6 near 90A are closest to me; the NTB guy who wanted to be "my last phone call" so he could beat any competitor's price is the one in Stafford.

Apologies for the overlong post and rambling on...but I don't want to spend nearly $800 in haste or on the "wrong" tires! All input appreciated, and THANK YOU so much!

I was surprised to see the unsatisfactory rating for Discount Tire (corporate). I have been going there as long as I have been driving with no complaints about service, price, and so on (Houston locations, though).

Yeah, to answer your car specific questions, go to the Toyota forum

As for brands, my personal preference is to always pay up for Michelins. I know that's a bit irrational, but I've never had a problem with Michelins and have been hit and miss with all other brands I've ever owned.

Also, just like buying a car or furniture or something else big and commodity like... SHOP AROUND. Get a sales guy to write his best installed balanced and off the lot price and drive around to many different stores. It will take time but you will save serious money - if you pay the first quoted price you get from any particular store, you will be overpaying.

I vote for Michelin, and buy them from NTB. The Michelins on the 4Runner we just sold had 83,000 miles on them, and are good for another 10,000. The first tires on that vehicle Michelins that went 69,000 miles before one of htem got a sidewall cut, so we replaced all of them. I've had all my tire, brake, and shock work done at NTB, and have always been happy.

I vote for Michelin, and buy them from NTB. The Michelins on the 4Runner we just sold had 83,000 miles on them, and are good for another 10,000. The first tires on that vehicle Michelins that went 69,000 miles before one of htem got a sidewall cut, so we replaced all of them. I've had all my tire, brake, and shock work done at NTB, and have always been happy.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

Ross, which Michelins did you get for your 4Runner, if applicable to the HIghlander too?

Are all NTB's owned-and-operated, or franchises, do you know? Which one (location) treats you so well? I'd be willing to drive a bit further for great customer service (and no hassles).

Discount tire has always been top notch. Ive been going there for years.

I would go to the location at Buffalo Speedway and 59, ask for Craig. Tell him you want TireRack pricing and he will match it.

Now its just a matter of picking out a tire.

Go onto tirerack and look at the OEM tires for your vehicle. Read the reviews and compare them to what you already have on your car.

• 3 weeks later...
Michelin LTX M/S is the way to go. If you want to do more over-researching this site was good for me.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

+1 on the LTX M/S. The tires that had 83,000 on them were the previous incarnation of that tire. The original tires on the 4Runner were another version of the LTX M/S. Toyota was putting michelins on their cars in the 90's, and there were Michelins on the 2002 Sequoia we owned for a while. in the Middle East, the Toyotas seem to come with Dunlops, but I prefer Michelins.

OT, the Toyota Prado (sort of like a 4Runner, but not quite) I drive in Doha has new Dunlops on it. The first set lasted 18,000 miles. That's what roundabouts and 120 degree heat do for you. Batteries last about a yer, 18 months max.

Care to explain your logic on this one?

I was just being a smartass, Sorry.

Seriously though, I got 95,000 out of my fisrt pair of General tires on my 2002 F-150. I now have over 180,000 miles on the vehicle and the tires still look lke they could stay on a few thousand more.

I have a toyota tacoma double cab and put michelin cross terrain suvs on it 7 years ago. I drive to and from work and a little shopping on weekends. I've had no problems and the tires are holding up exceptionally well. I bought them at discount tire. Yes they were a little expensive but you get what you pay for. Ive had firestone, goodyear and kelly tires that didn't last any time. I'll always get michelin.