Need Grass Whisperer

Hi,

I live in the heights and I have a problem. My lawn is dying and nothing I am doing can seem to save it. I've used landscapers from "The Leader" before but so far, none have had any real idea of what to do fix lawns, only cut them.

Anyone know of someone who works in the Heigths and who is good a troubleshooting lawn and grass problems and helping to fix them ?

CJ

Is it dying in an even fashion, or are there brown spots? We had chinch bugs earlier in the year, which made brown spots, but eventually most of the yard was "crunchy" and sort of dead. but 2 weeks after an easy chinch bug treatment from Home Depot it was growing back, and now is fully back. There are many other potential things it could be, that's just the one I know of. And since you're in the same hood, it's a possibility.

Is it dying in an even fashion, or are there brown spots? We had chinch bugs earlier in the year, which made brown spots, but eventually most of the yard was "crunchy" and sort of dead. but 2 weeks after an easy chinch bug treatment from Home Depot it was growing back, and now is fully back. There are many other potential things it could be, that's just the one I know of. And since you're in the same hood, it's a possibility.

Which product did you use, 20thstreet???

Hi,

I live in the heights and I have a problem. My lawn is dying and nothing I am doing can seem to save it. I've used landscapers from "The Leader" before but so far, none have had any real idea of what to do fix lawns, only cut them.

Anyone know of someone who works in the Heigths and who is good a troubleshooting lawn and grass problems and helping to fix them ?

CJ

I live in the Heights in a 3 year old home. Between having new grass and poor soil, my grass looked like heck. I tried this stuff and am very happy with the results.

http://www.turf2max.com/

Which product did you use, 20thstreet???

I can't remember, but I remember having a time trying to find one for the right type of lawn and right insect. None were only for chinch bugs, they were mainly for other main pests with chinch bugs listed like an afterthought. I'll look and post when I get home. My grass was literally growing back green in a week, so I assume that must have been the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions but at this point I am stumped as to what is the cause and that's why I was hoping to find someone I could hire to help. The "spot" was at the bottom of a hill on my lawn that began to thin out and now it's encroaching up hill at a fairly rapid pace and is now several square feet.

There was little associated browning so I assumed that adding more lawn soil would help since the topsoil is prone to run-off during rain storms. I put down a couple of bags of Scott's lawn soil. That didn't help so I tried some fungicide after I began to see what I though was browning. That didn't work either.

I keep the lawn watered but try not to overdo it. In this heat without rain, I give it a half-hour with a sprinkler twice a week, once in the cooler weather. Sometimes it still looks dry and it well could be as this part of the lawn receives direct sun most of the day.

I will look again to see If I can find any kind of bug infestation after your suggestions but if anyone can recommend a service or lawn guy too, I would much appreciate it.

CJ

We were told at Home Depot that it could be "Brown Spot" - a fungus. They sold us a fungicide, so far only one treatment and we don't think it is looking better. But they said to treat, wait 14 days and then treat again. We'll see and let you know. Hoping today's rainfall helps overall.

in Houston, it's usually fungus or chinch bugs... mostly bugs. you have to kill them, and it's easy... i've had to do it before, too. don't remember the stuff i got. some granules from the Depot... maybe Sevin or something similar? kill them, rake up the dead grass (do this even if you don't kill them) and leave a bare ground... your grass will spread back over it pretty quickly (especially st. augustine)

good luck.