• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2024/07/13/artists-organization-to-relocate-to-the-ion.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=EX&utm_content=HO&ana=e_HO_EX&j=36045110&senddate=2024-07-13

IMG_0782.jpeg.41c2b4de8440cefaaf07be82f4810b77.jpeg

Community Artists’ Collective, a Houston-based organization that works to support African-American artists, will soon have a new home in Rice University’s Ion District.

The organization is preparing to build out a 2,732-square-foot space in the Ion at 4111 Fannin St., according to a filing submitted to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

Edited by editor
Edited for copyright reasons. Do not copy and paste. Summarize and link.
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I WANT IT NOW!

Well yesterday.

Why isn't it built yet? 

Just overly excited about movement in that area. The only new build we got do far is a pretty imposing garage.

Any idea on ballpark height of the student housing? 

If this is going to be visible it is going to have to be a bit taller than the garage. They should over do it. Build more then they need right now.

With the Ventana and the garage the beginnings of a canyon will start to form

• Like 1

If it is still according to the initial plan, it's supposed to be this building. I count 13 floors. That street is Caroline st, and the building directly south/ to the left is where the current Greentown labs sit. There are still quite a few buildings on that block.

ScreenShot2024-07-25at9_50_25AM.png.28ad73bc4dcd847f59df3b65dc25b598.png

image.png.8c692eab6189f5d85f446870413a9a85.png

But also according to their website, they don't own or plan to develop the entire block which contradicts the above renderings 😂 Also, this location would be phase 3, meaning they ultimately skipped phase 2 which is for the plaza in front of the Ion building. In short, nothing is concrete and everything is up in the air 

https://iondistrict.com/connect/leasing/

Edited by Amlaham
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2024 at 1:20 PM, bobruss said:

I think Rices overall plan has been reduced as I reported a year ago.

Rice University takes bigger slice at the Ion with new 10,000-SF Nexus

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/inno/stories/inno-insights/2024/08/07/rice-university-ion-nexus-makerspace.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

The new space is set to open in the fall as a home to Rice-founded startups. Rice confirmed that Tramonte Design Studios was the architect, Endurance Builders was the general contractor and Transwestern is serving as the project manager. All three companies are based in Houston.

Paul Cherukuri, chief innovation officer and vice president of innovation at Rice, said Rice Nexus is part of a move to establish more of its own presence at the Ion. The incubator is part of the planned 16-acre Innovation District, which also includes the Houston branch of Greentown Labs and is envisioned as a space for living, working and playing in Midtown.

“Before there were always questions of, 'Where is Rice inside the Ion? Why is Rice not participating?'” Cherukuri said in an interview with the Houston Business Journal. “The Nexus represents that portal between our campus and the Ion and the innovation community in Houston.”

Cherukuri could not provide a concrete timeline for when more development will take place for the Ion’s non-startup offerings.

However, he confirmed that talks are continuing for more lab space to open a block away from the Ion at Greentown Labs. Those labs will be considered “wet labs” and could be used for chemical manufacturing.

“Ideally, it’d be great to make synthetic biology materials, derived materials, nanochemistry inside Greentown Labs,” Cherukuri said. “We’re happy to partner with [Greentown] on the concept and help them get to a point where we can do that.”

Cherukuri estimated the Ion was 90% occupied.

• Like 6

On 8/14/2024 at 6:26 PM, JBTX said:

Pickleball courts at the Ion are so peak yuppie cringe that I can't even hate on it. It's basically self-parody.

Eh, I remember the renderings of Eagle St., so I've no reservations about hating on it.

On 10/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, Amlaham said:

On 8/23/2022 at 7:23 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Are there plans for a food hall at the Ion or part of the Ion District? Or were there plans for one? 

Last year, I saw a mention of one. Company of Nomads (or Nomadic Hospitality) listed food hall Norcity as one of their investment projects. Conservatory, Bravery (Bravery Chef Hall), and Railway Heights Market (at Railway Heights) are Company of Nomads (or Nomadic Hospitality)'s food hall concepts in Houston. 

Plans for the food hall at the Ion consist of constructing it from repurposed shipping containers. Nomadic's website seems to indicate there is/was a letter of intent to lease executed. But I'm not for certain when this was included to the website.

What's shown on Nomadic OZ's website:

• Norcity (Norcity Container Hall / Norcity Food Hall)

Set to open in late 2022 at the Ion Innovation District with the Rice Endowment, Norcity is taking our market hall model and putting it in a sustainable development using modular container like structures. 

Site: Ion Innovation District Houston, TX 
    Size: 50,000+ sf lot 
    OZ: Y 
    Food Hall Type: Container Hall 
    Project Cost: 12 M 
    Funding Needed: 1.2 M 

https://www.nomadicoz.com/

Another mention of Norcity Container Hall on this page:
https://www.nomadicoz.com/strategy

A photo of Dock 45 in India is shown on the site as a design inspiration for the look Norcity is possibly aiming for.

Nf7QyjX.jpg

On 8/29/2022 at 5:43 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Neat! Thanks for confirming!  So, this is part of the outdoor area? Or will it be part of the Sears Civic Plaza/ Central Plaza or Ion Plaza?

The design and layout for the former Conservatory location downtown and their Railway Heights Market at Railway Heights have not disappointed. So, I'm looking forward to viewing proposed renderings for Norcity Container Hall whenever it becomes available. 

From the description on the Nomad Opportunity Zone site, Norcity Container Hall sounds like it will be similar to Company of Nomads' Railway Heights Market than Conservatory. 

iKlnTiQ.jpg

ITCAKG8.jpg

wVCNfFN.jpg

On 8/30/2022 at 8:12 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Thanks! I thought so, but wasn't 100% for sure.

So, it looks like the address for Norcity (Norcity Container Hall / Norcity Food Hall) is 4001 Main St. The lot's square footage is 51,924 sf, which lines up with what's listed on Nomads' website.

Norcity's site is bounded by Main Street, Isabella Street, Fannin Street, and Cleburne Street. It's a block over from the Ion District parking garage and street retail coming soon to Fannin and Eagle.

I added Norcity to the Ion District retail map for a visual.

2rcJYTJ.jpg

by8IPez.jpg

0eVBnD1.jpg

9fojy9v.jpg

Main & Cleburne
EfpqJlX.jpg

Main & Isabella
Dthxu8S.jpg

Isabella & Fannin
TglJeWB.jpg

Fannin & Cleburne
jyMItV5.jpg

On 9/1/2022 at 3:21 PM, houstontexasjack said:

Norcity signage photos:

5klro5Z.jpg
bBuOfQN.jpg
V8t87Eb.jpg

There is an update on the education and arts center from Theatre Under the Stars ( TUTS ) planned for Midtown. The center was announced for The Ion in 2021. In recently updated leasing materials pertaining to retail at The Ion, TUTS is shown at 4001 Main St.

The site plan shows TUTS is part of phase two for The Ion Innovation District. According to the site plan, phase two's completion is estimated for 2026. Also worth noting are the updated estimated timeline for the other phases:

• Phase three: estimated completion 2028
  • Phase four: estimated completion 2030

Norcity, a container food hall from Houston's Company of Nomads, was previously slated for 4001 Main St. I think the food hall has been scrapped altogether. 

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/626631/texas-the-ion-district

NFyl8OG.jpeg

b38Kftb.jpeg

• Like 5

On 12/19/2023 at 5:51 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is a link to the latest retail brochure for The Ion. I think it was updated in November.

There is an updated map of the various phases. The map includes Kokoro, a local Japanese restaurant that currently operates at Bravery Chef Hall.

As noted in a post above, Kokoro has signed on to lease a space in the Eagle Street retail development. I don't know the street address for Kokoro's forthcoming Midtown location. However, the building is located on the 4111 Fannin St parcel. The Japanese restaurant is slated to open Summer 2024, according to leasing materials.

zccMJfr.jpg

Below is an updated plan and map for The Ion. It is included in recently published leasing materials for The Ion Innovation District.

9KA18QD.jpeg

• Like 6

On 8/19/2024 at 6:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

There is an update on the education and arts center from Theatre Under the Stars ( TUTS ) planned for Midtown. The center was announced for The Ion in 2021. In recently updated leasing materials pertaining to retail at The Ion, TUTS is shown at 4001 Main St.

The site plan shows TUTS is part of phase two for The Ion Innovation District. According to the site plan, phase two's completion is estimated for 2026. Also worth noting are the updated estimated timeline for the other phases:

• Phase three: estimated completion 2028
  • Phase four: estimated completion 2030

Norcity, a container food hall from Houston's Company of Nomads, was previously slated for 4001 Main St. I think the food hall has been scrapped altogether. 

NFyl8OG.jpeg

b38Kftb.jpeg

TUTS has had a webpage up for their Ion project since spring 2023.
https://tutsattheiondistrict.org/

image.png.10f65541e97c5d624582962adab8232a.png

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, DotCom said:

TUTS has had a webpage up for their Ion project since spring 2023.
https://tutsattheiondistrict.org/

image.png.10f65541e97c5d624582962adab8232a.png

Thanks! I only included the site plan to show Theatre Under the Stars ( TUTS )  at the Ion District will be located at  4001 Main St. The website and previous reports, at least from what I've seen, didn't specify where it will be in the Ion District.

• Like 1