On 7/3/2024 at 10:45 AM, hindesky said:

boaH3ZA.png

20 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Permitting was approved for 4111 Fannin St, Suite 100 yesterday. A screenshot of the plan review inspection report is posted below. 

The permit lists Fannin Gallery as the occupant. However, an architectural barriers project filing from July lists Ion Community Artists' Collective as the tenant.

The forthcoming Ion Community Artists' Collective is part The Ion District in Midtown.

mwyURo0.png

20 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

After being approved for permitting yesterday, several permits were issued for 4111 Fannin St, Suite 100:

• Electrical permit
  • Plumbing permit

The permits are for the forthcoming Ion Community Artists' Collective (though permits list is as Fannin Gallery). The gallery is part of Ion District in Midtown.

Electrical permit

9wySyAS.png

Plumbing permit

2yoUkIH.png

A mechanical permit for 4111 Fannin St, Suite 100 was purchased yesterday.

Details from the permit:

• Use: 2,732 sf. convert to art gallery 1-9-1-A3-B for occupancy report# 23079954
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

The permits are for the forthcoming Ion Community Artists' Collective (though permits list is as Fannin Gallery). The gallery is part of Ion District in Midtown.

kCxZbW9.png

• Like 2

A mechanical permit was purchased yesterday for 4111 Fannin St.

Details from the permit:

Use: Shaft and MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) garage remodeL 1-10-1-S2-B '21 IBC FA
FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

Permitting for this was approved in July. The permit is for the Ion District garage located on the 4111 Fannin St parcel. It is also the site of the forthcoming ground floor retail (labeled Eagle Street Retail in marketing materials).

SP7K4oq.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

Nothing like a nice outdoor fireplace to serve as a social anchor in Houston in August. 😂

So sadly typical of HAIF. We have the first renderings of what would/will be a beautiful infill development and even has the always-demanded ground floor retail and the first HAIF response is to mock the idea of an outdoor fireplace in August.  I'm just guessing here, but I think the fireplace might be there for months other than August.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

So sadly typical of HAIF. We have the first renderings of what would/will be a beautiful infill development and even has the always-demanded ground floor retail and the first HAIF response is to mock the idea of an outdoor fireplace in August.  I'm just guessing here, but I think the fireplace might be there for months other than August.

Girl at 8:00 is wearing shorts my dude.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Confused Dog GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 4

On 9/23/2024 at 5:47 PM, editor said:

Having done time in the U.P., can confirm.

Having been to the UP in summer, can confirm that "done time" is the appropriate expression.

(I was up that aways this summer and when I got back, I remember thinking "Oh wow, I guess Houston doesn't have any mosquitos anymore." Pretty sunsets and sunrises on Superior, though.)

1 hour ago, Triton said:

It's going to be interesting how the temporary highway bridges affect the southern portion of this development.. (I guess the parking lot at this point).

Screenshot_20240923_145020_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20240923_145639_YouTube.jpg

I like the new plans as far as the extended caps 

• Like 5

I’m a fan of the stars on the exterior of this. Hopefully, those will actually light up at night—that would be a cool feature in the area. 

I’m delighted with Rice’s designs for Phase II. I was frankly expecting a utilitarian box for the graduate student housing, but got something far more interesting and engaged with the street level. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I’m a fan of the stars on the exterior of this. Hopefully, those will actually light up at night—that would be a cool feature in the area. 

I’m delighted with Rice’s designs for Phase II. I was frankly expecting a utilitarian box for the graduate student housing, but got something far more interesting and engaged with the street level. 

^^^ actually, my thoughts are that TUTS doesn't harbor the financial backing to implement such an expensive/dynamic architectural fete.  however, i'm under the mindset that those "stars" shall be projected upon the BLUE venue exterior during the evening/night.  we shall see...

10 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Where exactly will this building be?

2 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

NyDK4eU.png

@kennyc05 the location of Theatre Under the Stars ( TUTS ) education and arts center is 4001 Main St. It's part of phase two of The Ion Innovation District.

Post about the location from last month:

On 8/19/2024 at 5:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

There is an update on the education and arts center from Theatre Under the Stars ( TUTS ) planned for Midtown. The center was announced for The Ion in 2021. In recently updated leasing materials pertaining to retail at The Ion, TUTS is shown at 4001 Main St.

Norcity, a container food hall from Houston's Company of Nomads, was previously slated for 4001 Main St. I think the food hall has been scrapped altogether. 

b38Kftb.jpeg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Big miss here at street level. There shouldn't be dead zones on any side of an art theatre. 

https://tutsattheiondistrict.org/

Same with the main Ion building.

Won't be a big deal if all of the intervening buildings are street-engaged, but yeah - lot of Houston is this way. Kind of a spiraling thing - unless the area already has a lot of pedestrian activity, the fortress mentality takes over.

On 9/23/2024 at 1:05 PM, Houston19514 said:

It's Houston. Every month is August...😋

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with the supervisor, his crew from AAR is doing asbestos abatement on the buildings on the block for student dorms and the 3 buildings across the street on Caroline St. They have applied for the demolition permits for the dorm block buildings and expect them in the next 10 or so days. They will also do the building demolitions once the abatement is done. 

http://aarinc.net/index.html

LjT6WyU.jpeg

PnGBZ7o.jpeg

JqYzYhF.jpeg

q57ZYaN.png

• Like 6