Looking For A True Historic Neighborhood

jakabedy

This is my first post, so please feel free to redirect me if I am in the wrong place. I stumbled upon this board while Googling and found it to be very informative.

I'm contemplating a job transfer to Houston and am looking for an historic neighborhood in the traditional sense. I was directed to zip codes 77008, 77009 and 77023, and on the HAR website have found some things. But, what concerns me is that a major selling point of most every bungalow is "new construction right next door!" Since when is that a selling point?

Can anyone point me in a particular direction, or recommend a realtor sensitive to historic homes and neighborhoods? I'm in an under 200K price range, and schools are not an issue. I'm looking for something from 1910-1930 -- can be a bungalow, Tudor, Spanish Colonial, etc. It doesn't have to be "the" historic n'hood (as evidenced by my price range) and can be one that is on the verge of a comeback.

I'm coming from a smaller city (Birmingham, AL) where we still have a lot of buildable property around the city. So this tear-down mentality hasn't quite hit us yet (save for a very few exclusive neighborhoods). Maybe I just have to get used to it?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Edited to fix horrible spelling/grammar in title line, but found I was unable to do so. :angry:

This is my first post, so please feel free to redirect me if I am in the wrong place.  I stumbled upon this board while Googling and found it to be very informative.

I'm contemplating a job transfer to Houston and am looking for an historic neighborhood in the traditional sense.  I was directed to zip codes 77008, 77009 and 77023, and on the HAR website have found some things. But, what concerns me is that a major selling point of most every bungalow is "new construction right next door!"  Since when is that a selling point?

Can anyone point me in a particular direction, or recommend a realtor sensitive to historic homes and neighborhoods? I'm in an under 200K price range, and schools are not an issue. I'm looking for something from 1910-1930 -- can be a bungalow, Tudor, Spanish Colonial, etc.  It doesn't have to be "the" historic n'hood (as evidenced by my price range) and can be one that is on the verge of a comeback.

I'm coming from a smaller city (Birmingham, AL) where we still have a lot of buildable property around the city.  So this tear-down mentality hasn't quite hit us yet (save for a very few exclusive neighborhoods).  Maybe I just have to get used to it?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Edited to fix horrible spelling/grammar in title line, but found I was unable to do so. :angry:

I think about your only option would be the east end. Idylwood, Forest Hill, Eastwood or Houston County Club Place....and in all of those there is some new construction....just much less than other locations, and the only reason there is less new construction over there is because its all quasi ghetto or surrounded by the ghetto, and nobody wants to park that kind of $$ to build in the ghetto. You might also look at Norhill...but everything over there will prolly be out of your price range.

I'm looking for the same thing you are (I don't want to spend as much, however)....although I'm not as picky about the 'hood being 100% vintage housing.

The reason you see 'new construction' in the listings is because it shows that people are willing to sink considerable money into the neighborhood, which speaks to long-term value.

I agree about focusing on the East End. I'm in Idylwood and $200k gets you into a nicely remodeled bungalow with little in the way of new construction. The same holds true for Eastwood (closer to downtown) but it is more transitional from block to block. You can get in to other areas for the price you are looking for, but it will be closer to tear down status, or will need major work.

As for realty firms, I think that Karen Derr Realty has many realtors who are in touch with old inner loop communities. I have never used them, but know a few realtors that work for them and they are bungalow-fanatics like I am.

Guest danax

I'm contemplating a job transfer to Houston and am looking for an historic neighborhood in the traditional sense.  I was directed to zip codes 77008, 77009 and 77023, and on the HAR website have found some things. But, what concerns me is that a major selling point of most every bungalow is "new construction right next door!"  Since when is that a selling point?

I'm looking for something from 1910-1930 -- can be a bungalow, Tudor, Spanish Colonial, etc.  It doesn't have to be "the" historic n'hood (as evidenced by my price range) and can be one that is on the verge of a comeback.

77023 has neighborhoods such as Eastwood, Broadmoor (smaller bungalows from the 20s-30s), Pineview Place (there's a topic from the past on this forum in the East End section) or possibly Idlywood.

These are all neighborhoods on the East End, which is an area that is showing some strong signs of a general upswing and has not yet experienced the tear-down phenomenon, although us early settlers out here fear it will come and are thinking of ways to prevent it. A lot of us like the intact neighborhood feel out here and I recommend thoroughly checking the area out.

The other areas of town with historic houses are expensive. The East End is the area of still "cheap" housing inside the loop but it's still funky/junky in spots.

a major selling point of most every bungalow is "new construction right next door!" Since when is that a selling point?
The reason you see that is because it used to be that no one wanted to live in these neighborhoods. They were left to rot. Now Houston has grown outward so much there is renewed interest in these areas inside the 610 loop. Many people who bought in these inner areas decades ago are retiring or passing away, and interest rates are low, so there is a fast turnover in the housing stock.

They're saying, "Old and Improving Fast!"

There is also the Westmoreland Historical District right by Montrose (south of Westheimer and East of Montrose. Once you are in the district, it is all historical. There is some construction just outside of if though. I think the prices are hight though.

In comparison with other cities, I honestly don't believe there is any such thing in Houston. The closest you will find to a historic district is Woodland Heights, in the Heights. I think they have very special ordinances regarding teardowns. Also Westmoreland in Montrose as was previously mentioned.

It seems one has to be a minority group to have any protected housing in this city-a la the "Wards" and "Freedmen's Town".

Historic districts are formed by the historic comission and the residents. The important part is that the residents have to get involved.

The subdivision on the east end would need residents to try to get it labled so it is protected.

Yes, and the GHPA has to approve those districts, because the Texas Historical Commission does not designate historic districts, only landmarks and architecturally significant buildings. There are many residents of neighborhoods looking for the protection and preservation that can give their homes but unless they meet their guidelines and there is enough funding (locally and federally) it won't happen.

From GHPA's website:

What is historic district designation?

It is an official recognition by the City of Houston that your neighborhood is an area of local historic importance. The designation is usually based on a combination of the following factors: the history of the neighborhood; the identity of the people who settled the neighborhood (were they of a particular ethnic group, did they play a special role in the city's development, etc.); the age, type, and quality of the structures in the neighborhood; and the extent to which the original structures still exist.

What are the requirements for owner-initiated designation?

The area must include at least 51 percent historic houses, buildings, structures, and objects over 50 years old, and approval from at least 67 percent of the landowners owning at least 51 percent of the land area. Your neighborhood must file an application with the City of Houston Department of Planning. This is not as complicated as it may sound, and help is available from Randy Pace, City Preservation Officer (713.837.7796), or from Greater Houston Preservation Alliance.

This is most likely one of the problems facing the Mod houses here in Memorial, especially the Memorial Bend area. The more new construction goes up, the less likely the neighborhood will ever get a historic designation. :(

What is so freaking sad is that Alfred Finn's home he built for his family (a hugely prominent architect here in Houston) was torn down recently. I watched it go. It was such a depressing day. Had someone been able to buy it and get the THC to declare that a historic architectural landmark based on his contributions to the city (among downtown buildings, he also helped design the San Jacinto Monument), it would still be there. The GHPA tried to get that house but to no avail.

Now it is a vacant lot. If I see a McMansion built on it I might have to go throw eggs in a grand gesture of protest. :mellow:

Unless there has been some updates to the historic preservation ordinance, I wouldn't look to them to provide any protection. They are one of the weakest in the nation. Basically they are a joke. As I understand them, if you want to build in a historic district and you do not get a "certificate of approval or appropriateness" or something like that, then you just wait 90 days and do whatever you want. That may be an oversimplification, but you get the idea.

I know a lot of people were working to strengthen the ordinance. Anyone know of any updates?

Being from Louisiana, i'm used to historic societies and districts having strong power. Some cities will force agencies like the DOT to change the construction method to protect homes. I think the two strongest ones in Louisiana are in New Orleans and Natchitoches (oldest city in LA with many historical places)

The New England states typically have strong historical societies.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Idylwood would give you close feel to what you are looking for. Althoug I do think the prices have krept over the $200K range. Most of the houses here would be more cottage?

Eastwood would give more of the bungalo feel. Its also the neigborhood Howard Hughes lived in as a kid if I'm not mistaken. So there are some stately homes in the area as well. It is a transition neigborhood though. One of the big bonuses to Eastwood is that you get the aroma of the coffee plant nearby just about everyday.