Downtown Tunnel Retail News & Updates

houstonsemipro

Anyone who works downtown knows how valuable the tunnels are. It doesn't take that much away from street life during the day, and it wouldn't transform downtown into a nightlife district if Ninfas, Alonti, etc. were on the street.

Thats exactly what I mean, we used to have town hall meetings under Shell Plaza all the time. Whenever we all were told to head on over all we had to do was walk to the elevator go down, doors open and you walk a few feet and your there, on time, drip dry, no sweat, etc. Convenience was the winner, saved time and trouble or risk of walking outside into traffic to cross the streets. You always see the caterers pushing carts of food to nearby business tenants, people walking in groups for exercise, tours, TOURS hear that? Many times the tourists were speaking foriegn languages and utterly fascinated of this mysterious and often talked about place. Summer time, yeah, you really appreciate the tunnels! I still remember back in mid 70's when Allen Center had the theaters underground, that was a marvel for its time! We would watch movies in 3 seperate theaters and never hear any outside traffic.

We need more input from structural engineers and architects to continue to design, implement and expand this baby now. Here are a few items we should add to the tunnels.

Bowling Alley

Theaters

Entertainment events (like what you see in malls)

Sports bars ala Buffalo Wild Wings

Santa :P

and much more!

I worked at 806 Main St. for 2 years and I tried to avoid the tunnels at all cost. After sitting in a cubicle all morning, I enjoyed going outside at lunch. On rainy days, I used this great invention called an umbrella. On hot days, I'd just walk slowly so as to not break a sweat.

Even when I used things down in the tunnels, I'd reach them via street level (like walking to the Bank One Bldg and then heading down to the Becks Prime down there).

The tunnels always felt crowded and the air felt dirty...sorta like sitting on an airplane for multiple hours.

I worked at 806 Main St. for 2 years and I tried to avoid the tunnels at all cost. After sitting in a cubicle all morning, I enjoyed going outside at lunch. On rainy days, I used this great invention called an umbrella. On hot days, I'd just walk slowly so as to not break a sweat.

Even when I used things down in the tunnels, I'd reach them via street level (like walking to the Bank One Bldg and then heading down to the Becks Prime down there).

The tunnels always felt crowded and the air felt dirty...sorta like sitting on an airplane for multiple hours.

I'm pretty much with you on that, but as for umbrellas...I bought one about five years ago and on the day I took it to the office, my wife predicted that she would never see it again. I thought, "I'll show her." So I pretty much forgot about it, for about a year, and then one day a bad storm blew in just as I was walking out the door to the light rail. "Good thing I have that umbrella," I thought. So I went and got it and opened it up near the Exxon building. And here's the thing -- the very first time I opened, a high gust of wind just shredded it to pieces. Absolutely picked it clean. So my wife never did see that umbrella, and I never even used it once.

I work downtown and I prefer walking at street level. However, if it's raining or extremely hot, I've got the tunnels as an option. I don't think the businesses down there detract from street level businesses, as all (up and down) are packed at lunch. I do think that more street level retail shops are needed to support an increased night time crowd, should that ever occur.

Well, I worked downtown several different times. A couple of times in the 80's, when the tunnels weren't much, then for 4 years - 2000-04, and I loved the tunnels. If they get to you, you can go outside and walk in the traffic and construction and inhale the exhaust, grease and bums. One time I saw this poor homeless woman sitting next to what used to be Foley's. Someone had poured spaghetti and meat sauce all over her, and she was trying to eat it! It was terrible. Downtown is depressing. The tunnels aren't depressing, and the streets of Downtown ARE. It's that simple. I vote tunnels. Keep 'em coming. Allison was sad, though. Lost my good parking garage, and lots of my favorite businesses in the tunnels.

Ive worked downtown for a bit over two years now, and i love the tunnels. I'm baffled how anyone could not like them, in the summer i can take a quick hike to the Park shops to grab some dumplings at Doozo and i'm not a sweaty mess nor have i been struck by a car when i get back... awesome.

I don't think the retail in the tunnels really takes away from the street level either, because there would just be more stuff closed on the street level at night. I want stuff on the street level that will be open late.

Ive worked downtown for a bit over two years now, and i love the tunnels. I'm baffled how anyone could not like them, in the summer i can take a quick hike to the Park shops to grab some dumplings at Doozo and i'm not a sweaty mess nor have i been struck by a car when i get back... awesome.

I don't think the retail in the tunnels really takes away from the street level either, because there would just be more stuff closed on the street level at night. I want stuff on the street level that will be open late.

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments! having an open mind/imagination & inegenuity always produces great things. There are probably several countries examing the Houston tunnel system & will exceed in improvements.

I was hoping to create a Haif contest to see

1. How would you design your own dinner/dance club venue and now I wish I could create a

2. How would you design your own section of the underground tunnel.

Bet we get some very innovative examples. B)

There seems to have been several tunnel related topics on Haif and I am sure on several other forums. I worked at Pzl Place for almost 15 yrs and the flood events were as slim as winning the lotto and we seldom ever saw any homeless down there. Security was always on top of that issue. The big food courts were always the big draws and almost every time we had out of state/country visitors they wanted tours of which I happily obliged.

I often wondered why the negative remarks on our tunnels on Haif, it seems that most long time Houstonian's should at least be proud of these I mean we aren't eaxtly Niagara Falls or DisneyLand. The tunnels give us a futureistic & modern appeal opposed to the stereotypical cowboy/horses/rodeo reputation. These tunnels were greatly improved since the last distaster (Allison in 2000). Bottom line is the more people knock your only hurting the city in more ways than you realize.

For the naysayers, you have to experience the system, sounds like a long shot but if you ever work in downtown and get to know it, you will see what a fascinating experience it is. :D

Great... all the more reason to keep them open outside of standard business hours.

Thats exactly what I mean, we used to have town hall meetings under Shell Plaza all the time. Whenever we all were told to head on over all we had to do was walk to the elevator go down, doors open and you walk a few feet and your there, on time, drip dry, no sweat, etc. Convenience was the winner, saved time and trouble or risk of walking outside into traffic to cross the streets. You always see the caterers pushing carts of food to nearby business tenants, people walking in groups for exercise, tours, TOURS hear that? Many times the tourists were speaking foriegn languages and utterly fascinated of this mysterious and often talked about place. Summer time, yeah, you really appreciate the tunnels! I still remember back in mid 70's when Allen Center had the theaters underground, that was a marvel for its time! We would watch movies in 3 seperate theaters and never hear any outside traffic.

We need more input from structural engineers and architects to continue to design, implement and expand this baby now. Here are a few items we should add to the tunnels.

Bowling Alley

Theaters

Entertainment events (like what you see in malls)

Sports bars ala Buffalo Wild Wings

Santa :P

and much more!

Man, that sounds fun... it's a shame that they'd only be open from 8am-7pm, Monday through Friday. When does Buffalo Wild Wings do most of its business???

Let me try to be clear. I really really like the tunnels. When I worked for Houston Grand Opera, I loved the convenience of having my car in the parking garage, and never having to get wet or hot to get to the bank, restaurants, or anything else. They are a great and marvelous part of our city, and one of Houston's most important happenings of the 20th century.

NOW is the 21st century!!!! We have rail connection between downtown and the 24/7 population of the Medical Center. 4th ward is almost gone... overtaken by the massive gentrification movement that is midtown. The near East End, once a dry area of factories and empty lots, is poised to follow in midtown's footsteps. Even DOWNTOWN is set to gain 1,000 residents (BTW the current residential population, not including prisoners is 3,883). Discovery Green and the House of Blues have injected new energy into downtown at street level. I agree with whoever said it "Let Houston be what it is" in the 21st century, and let's stop holding on to the city's poorly-planned past.

Edited by totheskies

We could sit around coming up with wonderful ideas for ages but the reality for business's is that the cost to do business down there would be outrageous. :o

Maybe we could just open underground opium dens like in old San Francisco. Just a bit of pre-holday humor kiddoes.

but seriously, bet the $ would be just too much, imagine if they just decided to seal them off forever? In Houston anything is possible even the insane.

I've heard that some old tunnels have been sealed off. Wouldn't it be cool to tour a shuttered tunnel.

I'm also intrigued by the underground bunkers under Macy's. Does anyone have any specifics on this?

There's a topic around somewhere about closed sections of the tunnels. There isn't much - part that connected the Bank of the Southwest Building to the old Southwest Tower, and a stub that went north under Capitol from the old Gibraltar Savings building.

Do you still have to step up and then step down as you walk through the Esperson Building? I haven't been downtown in the tunnels for several years. I remember back in the 80's walking from the Chronicle Building to "The Parks" to eat lunch with

some of my co-workers and then hurrying back. We only had 30 minutes for lunch but the scenery was worth it.

Downtown has much prettier women than the medical center. Now there's a HAIF poll!

I have worked downtown for 20+ years and the downtown tunnel system is one of Houston's greatest assets. I don't remember how extensive the network was in the 1980's, but I remember parking in the Hyatt garage and tunneling to work. The tunnel network is huge today and it is the ultimate in "walkable". One of my employees lives downtown and tunnels to work in bad weather.

For those who are searching for large pedestrian crowds street-side to get that "Big city" feel ..(why he asks???), just visit the tunnel system on a cold rainy day about 11:30. It is wall to wall people in a NYC stride.

But if the weather is decent, during lunch I will go for extended walks street side and head for Sam Houston/Buffalo Bayou parks. A beautiful area that is under-utilized by downtowner's.

If you have never made the trek... visit the tunnel system and marvel at the underworld.

I have worked downtown for 20+ years and the downtown tunnel system is one of Houston's greatest assets. I don't remember how extensive the network was in the 1980's, but I remember parking in the Hyatt garage and tunneling to work. The tunnel network is huge today and it is the ultimate in "walkable". One of my employees lives downtown and tunnels to work in bad weather.

For those who are searching for large pedestrian crowds street-side to get that "Big city" feel ..(why he asks???), just visit the tunnel system on a cold rainy day about 11:30. It is wall to wall people in a NYC stride.

But if the weather is decent, during lunch I will go for extended walks street side and head for Sam Houston/Buffalo Bayou parks. A beautiful area that is under-utilized by downtowner's.

If you have never made the trek... visit the tunnel system and marvel at the underworld.

Bravo!

How can you hate something that you are not forced to use? :huh:

I seriously doubt the complainers gleefully choose to walk around downtown Houston on a humid August day in their suits and ties while avoiding the air conditioned underworld. Not buying it. :wacko:

More Bravo !!!

I don't mind the tunnels and don't mind the bums as they are quite easy to ignore. The only issue I have with the system is that some of the tunnels on the north end of downtown are clammy and somewhat creepy.

The north end tunnels are for the courts and have restricted access. Creepy indeed. Which other north enders are you speaking of?

Nice, sounds fun... let me know when they're open outside of regular business hours. I'll invite my friends!!

Oh wait, they're not :( I feel bad, I don't belong to the boys club anymore.

Nice, sounds fun... let me know when they're open outside of regular business hours. I'll invite my friends!!

Oh wait, they're not :( I feel bad, I don't belong to the boys club anymore.

So is this whole thread here because you feel excluded from the tunnels? I have news for you. There's a lot of private property you are excluded from. Why not start a thread about the men's bathroom on the 5th floor of my office building? It's open after business hours, but you can't get in without a security card.

I'm thinking around the Chronicle building. I didn't even walk around some of those tunnels because they were just so isolated.

Between the Chron and 717 Texas (Calpine) is narrow and creepy, and it leaks. The Chronicle can't even seem to finish their building, much less their tunnel.

The north end tunnels are for the courts and have restricted access. Creepy indeed. Which other north enders are you speaking of?

No they don't. You must go through metal detectors in some parts near the courthouses, but they are not restricted. They provide access to all county buildings in the county complex, not just the courts.

County Complex Tunnel Map

Unfortunately, this map is incomplete. The tunnel extends from Bldg 6 (Family Courts) under the parking lot to the new Civil Courts (12) and east to the parking garage. It also extends south from the criminal courts (7) under the parking lot to the juvenile courts.

No they don't. You must go through metal detectors in some parts near the courthouses, but they are not restricted. They provide access to all county buildings in the county complex, not just the courts.

County Complex Tunnel Map

Unfortunately, this map is incomplete. The tunnel extends from Bldg 6 (Family Courts) under the parking lot to the new Civil Courts (12) and east to the parking garage. It also extends south from the criminal courts (7) under the parking lot to the juvenile courts.

The only times I've been in those tunnels, I was either on jury duty or incarcerated ;) . Plus, it was probably before the new courthouse buildings were built. Sorry to respond all uninformed and everything.

Edited by rsb320

This made me laugh. I have officed downtown for 10 years and try to walk street level most of the time, but I thanked God for the tunnels when I'd walk from Two Shell to Doozo's for dumplings in August.

I personally take sidewalks a lot -- and then I get to the building with the buisness I want to go to and enter and go downstairs. If the retail were at street level -- like the eyeglass place in Esperson or Rose Clothier's in Houston Club -- it's not like it draws more business. People take the tunnels and then go up to the street. I don't think anymore people would frequent those places if the tunnels weren't there. I don't think people downtown use either -- tunnel or sidewalk -- to meander and window-shop. Either method is just a way to get to a specific detination. Would all that stuff at sidewalk level add to the appearance of bustle? Yes. But I don't think it would generate more income for the businesses. It would just look cool to have people 6 abreast on the sidewalk.

By the way, there is a section of tunnel heading north from Bank of America building toward the Alley Theatre and Birraporetti's that has these colored lights in it. It's long, the lighting is flourescent, and it is very antisceptic. I think it is white walls and a black floor. And it's always empty. If you walk at the right pace, your dress shoes sound just like Yul Brenner's cowboy boots walking down those creepy tunnels in the movie Westworld. There is definitely an appeal to exploring the tunnels.

Edited by capnmcbarnacle

I have worked in Downtown Houston since 1982 and I love the tunnels. I also love the fact that there are opportunities to go above the street in several places as well. You can cross from Reliant to the Hyatt above the street and there are two bridges from where I currently work in Two Houston Center to the Park Shops. The reason no one is open past business hours in Downtown is because quite frankly there is no money in it. The spenders are the business people and they all go home at night and on weekends. Complain all you want about today's downtown is head and shoulders above where it was in 1982. Back then the locked all the doors, rolled up the sidewalks and essentially abandoned downtown at night and on weekends.