Anhydrous Ammonia Accident

Vertigo58

I was thinking about starting a post about this. On that day, I was driving north on 610, preparing to go up and over 59. I was going about 65 in my volkswagon bug, and I noticed in my rear view mirror a tanker bearing down on me like he was going 85+, and I swerved to the left lane to get out of his way. He exited on the 59 ramp, and I remember thinking that I could not make that turn at 65, let alone whatever speed he was driving. I lost sight of him as I went up and over. I was taking a friend to Andres for lunch, and while we were eating people started talking about a tank truck explosion. Given what I know about that ramp and the need to slow down for it, I would guess that the driver had suicide in mind at least.

Yes, over the years I have wondered and hoped to ask others if they recall this day. I vaguely remember drawing the poster of this incident but after all it was over 30 years ago. So maybe I'm not as bonkers as I might think. Yes, there have been others (accidents) similar to this but this one really stood out in a big way. The media coverage lasted for a good while.

• 1 month later...
Yes, over the years I have wondered and hoped to ask others if they recall this day. I vaguely remember drawing the poster of this incident but after all it was over 30 years ago. So maybe I'm not as bonkers as I might think. Yes, there have been others (accidents) similar to this but this one really stood out in a big way. The media coverage lasted for a good while.

More info here:

http://www.maxmcrae.com/major_fires/ammonia.htm

I remember the environmental impact. The vegetation in the entire area was dead for some time. I don't recall if the grass was replanted or eventually grew back on its own.

More info here:

http://www.maxmcrae.com/major_fires/ammonia.htm

I remember the environmental impact. The vegetation in the entire area was dead for some time. I don't recall if the grass was replanted or eventually grew back on its own.

Thank you for the additon. In fact once you open the link to the far left everyone should be able to see more long forgotten? disasters here in Houston. I barely recall the 1971 Mykawa Road explosion in the link.

The Englewood Freight Yard in Northeast Houston has had several bad ones too in the past. I know there was a derailment around 1967 when all of our nabe had to leave in the late evening because a railtank tipped over and leaked highly expolsive liquid. No OSHA in those days I guess. No one was allowed to return until the next day.

Funny how you can remember so much as a child. :blush:

the grass and trees (some of which were only denuded on the side facing the blast) eventually came back deep emerald green. it was amazing. the ammonia was essentially an extreme overdose of nitrogen that 1st burned the plant life, then provided the nutrient to promote rapid leaf growth.

• 1 year later...

There is a topic on Haif from about a year ago?

Remember tragedy quite well, got my driver license that yr, drew picture of that disaster and hung on Driver's Ed simulation trailer on school campus. Got Best auto related Drawing, wish I had saved now. -_-

Any old timers remember this from 1976?

Who you calling an 'old timer' sonny boy????? Yeah, I guess I am at that. <_< In 76 i was working for C.E. Lummus Engineering on the 10th floor of what was then the Stewart Title building on the Loop 610 feeder road between San Felipe and Westheimer. I remember hearing the emergency vehical sirens, the cloud of ammonia, and the traffic coming to a stand still on the loop and feeder. As was previously stated, the grass, shrubs and trees burned, but come a year or two later they came back greener than ever. Don't believe the company got much work out of us that afternoon??????

I remember hearing the emergency vehical sirens, the cloud of ammonia, and the traffic coming to a stand still on the loop and feeder.

I found an incredible photograph of the ammonia cloud, taken only moments after the truck crashed. It's in an E-Book on the history of the Houston freeway system.

Here's a direct link to the chapter on the Loops. It's in a PDF file, so scroll down to page 14 to see this phenomenal photo.

http://www.oscarmail.net/houstonfreeways/e...p272-321_72.pdf

Now that you know about that incredibly interesting E-Book on our local freeway history, here's a link to the whole thing, starting with the table of contents.

http://www.houstonfreeways.com/ebook.aspx

Edited by FilioScotia

i was a freshman in college at the time and was heading back to houston and we heard about it on the radio. since i would have had to travel down the loop to get to my parents house in post oak manor, i had to find an alternative way home that day.

i think about this often since i now live very close to where it happened inside the loop in bellaire. but i think they have lifted the ban on hazardous cargo on the 610. i don't think there is that line going through the HC sign anymore.

i will look next time i drive down the loop which i usually avoid because it has become such a mess at 610 and 59 since they widened 610. i do believe there are more accidents around the bissonnet on ramp and westpark off ramp now than before they expanded the freeway. too many people trying to change lanes to get over lanes to stay on 610 and just as many trying to move over to exit onto 59. they should have built interlacing on and off ramps like they city of bellaire suggested.

Native Houstonian's may recall this terrible day in Houston and hard to believe it could happen right next to the Galleria south interchange by the old Post newspaper building.

It was sensationalized for weeks/months. I remember I had a project in my Driver's Ed class to draw anything "traffic related" so I created a painting of the scene as described by witnesses on TV. Got 1st prize. Kind of wish I had saved it but it must have been so depressing I tossed it out. I recall witnesses saying people being trapped in their cars. Here goes...

TRANSPORT COMPANY OF TEXAS

TRACTOR-SEMITRAILER (TANK) COLLISION

WITH BRIDGE COLUMN AND SUDDEN

DISPERSAL OF ANHYDROUS AMMONIA CARGO

I-610 AT SOUTHWEST FREEWAY,

HOUSTON, TEXAS

MAY 11, 1976

SYNOPSIS

About 11:08 a.m., on May 11, 1976, a Transport Company of Texas tractor-semitrailer (tank) transporting 7,509 gallons of anhydrous ammonia struck and penetrated a bridge rail on a ramp connecting I-610 with the Southwest Freeway (U.S. 59) in Houston, Texas. The tractor and trailer left the ramp, struck a support column of an overpass, and fell onto the Southwest Freeway, approximately 15 feet below. The anhydrous ammonia was released from the damaged tank semitrailer.

Six persons died as a result of the accident, 78 persons were hospitalized, and approximately 100 other persons were treated for injuries.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the excessive speed of the vehicle combined with the lateral surge of liquid in the partially loaded tank truck, which caused it to overturn. The cause of 5 of the 6 fatalities and all of the 178 injuries was the inhalation of anhydrous ammonia. Contributing to the severity of the accident was the failure of the bridge rail to contain or redirect the vehicle.

I remember this incident as if it was yesterday. I had just moved to Houston to begin a new life there as I had just lost every thing I owned during a hurricane in 1972 known as hurricane Agness in Richmond Virginia. So many of you came to my aid and I really can not thank you enough for the kindness you bestowed upon me too!I was over at the Kettle resturant off Katy and Silber when the news broke over K I L T radio. We got outta dodge as far as we could all pile into my piece of 69 Chevrolet van . I guess my friends and I spent the better part of the day with some other friends up near Airline drive waiting to hear what might happen next.

As I am a professional driver , I can attest to the lack of common sense some drivers display in that strech of roadway. Granted , I'm here in Richmond Va. again and Im new to you.re forum but I want to take this oppurtunity to thank everyone who was a customer of mine when I owned a Custom Van manufacturing company first in Spring Branch and later on North Freeway. I miss the city and mabye god willin , i'll return some time fer a visit . I still have the Texas Highways magazine from that terrible day too. I just hope that by some folks reading this , they will be reminded to take responsibility for you're actions , they could save a life! Ed Shaver, Scrubba