Fried Turkey

I'm frying a turkey this year and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make a good injector solution. I could always buy it ready-made, but I'd rather make it myself. I plan to use unsalted butter, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne.

Memebag, where did you end up buying your Roasted Turkey last year and was it good? Is your complicated oven issue worked out and will you be attempting a bird this year at home?

use peanut oil

do it outside least your house smell like grease for a month after it burns down

put turkey in slowly and consider making a handle to put it in and or a pulley system so you can be well away......leave plenty of space above the rim of the pot so it does not boil over and get into the flame and or on you......you might even turn the fire off for a quick second while you insert the bird but you need to be ready to kick the flame right back on or risk an oily bird

I'm frying a turkey this year and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make a good injector solution. I could always buy it ready-made, but I'd rather make it myself. I plan to use unsalted butter, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne.

Memebag, where did you end up buying your Roasted Turkey last year and was it good? Is your complicated oven issue worked out and will you be attempting a bird this year at home?

One question I have for you is what are you frying it in? I'm sure you've seen those film clips of the fires caused by frying turkeys.

My Dad used injection sauces when he barbequed. You might want to substitute oil and vinegar (just a smidge - could even use some balsamic) for the butter, because it makes it extremely moist. Another thing you MIGHT want to consider is browning it first - just a little - to sear in the juices, It's all about saving the juices.

I don't know about Memebag, but we are getting our Turkey from Luby's this year. We have had a two hour turkey from Randall's before. It was ok, but had a lot of salt solution.

Oh, and if you use the butter, I'd use salted, or garlic SALT or onion SALT.

What oil are you frying it in? That makes a difference because of the flash temperature of different oils.

Let us know how it comes out, be careful, and have a good T-giving!

use peanut oil

do it outside least your house smell like grease for a month after it burns down

put turkey in slowly and consider making a handle to put it in and or a pulley system so you can be well away......leave plenty of space above the rim of the pot so it does not boil over and get into the flame and or on you......you might even turn the fire off for a quick second while you insert the bird but you need to be ready to kick the flame right back on or risk an oily bird

Thanks TV. I've done it before, I was just looking for new seasoning ideas.

Important Tips:

Place wrapped turkey into pot and fill with water. Take turkey out and mark the water line. Discard water and fill with oil to that line.

Preheat oil to 375 deg. and turn off flame.

Lower turkey slowly as hot oil and moisture react violently.

Light fire and keep temp at 350 for about 3 minutes per/lb

Breast temp should be 170 and thigh 180.

Always let any meat sit for a bit prior to cutting into it.

Only tip I can think of is NOT to do an interview with a TV station while you are about to cook him up !

Oh, and make sure the Turkey is COMPLETELY thawed our you will have an explosion.

Thanks TV. I've done it before, I was just looking for new seasoning ideas.

Important Tips:

Place wrapped turkey into pot and fill with water. Take turkey out and mark the water line. Discard water and fill with oil to that line.

Preheat oil to 375 deg. and turn off flame.

Lower turkey slowly as hot oil and moisture react violently.

Light fire and keep temp at 350 for about 3 minutes per/lb

Breast temp should be 170 and thigh 180.

Always let any meat sit for a bit prior to cutting into it.

my thoughts exactly... anything over 15lbs is too big for your typical 5 gallon pot. i've only used peanut oil and think it works great. i usually brine mine the night before, rub dry (completely dry!), and pat on some tony's or other cajun seasoning. the brine is going to provide a lot of moisture and salt, so try not to get too liberal with the outside seasoning.

best to do it on a flat spot in the yard, and be sure you have someone ready to supply you with cold beers as you sit idley by.

A couple of thoughts...

• No need to put the bird in at 350 degrees. You can do it at 250 and bring the heat up, which is safer. The introduction of a chilled turkey to 350 degree oil is going to lower the temperature of the oil anyway.
  • Why inject when you can just soak? Let biology and physics do the work for you and add flavor to the entire bird not just the area around the injection site. Check the Food Network's web site for information about brining a turkey (though it does take 8-16 hours).
  • 180 degrees is way too high for a cooked bird. It should be 150-160 when you take it out. As the meat rests the temperature will climb to 165+ on its own (both poultry and fish do this trick). By the time you get to 180 the bird is drying out and toughening up and all your work is for naught because it's going to add at least another 10 degrees and reach 190-200 degrees on its own.
  • Make your neighbors happy and have a fire extinguisher nearby.
  • For those of use who can't fry our own, take lots of pictures and post them on HAIF!

Definitely inject. Turkey is crap meat in general, it needs the extra pockets of flavor even when you fry it.

I always use creole butter by Cajun Injector, it is awesome. Going with a butter base is the way to do it though, beyond that just stick to flavors you like. Your list of ingredients sounds good to me

I agree that 180 is too high of a temp. 170 is definitely too high for the breast, it will be dry and you'll be searching around for that injection juice just to make it bearable. 155 in the breast is when you should pull it out, it will rise to 160-165 after you pull it out. The dark meat should still be fine.

The best advice I can give you is to ditch the turkey, because like I said turkey meat sucks, and get 4 chickens instead. We deep fried some chickens after we did our turkeys one year, and there was no comparison. Turkey meat is so much tougher and less tasty than chicken, and I am not even that high on chicken. Trust me on this. There is a reason that people always cook dressing and gravy and everything else to pour on their turkey every year.

Or, have your dad and father-in-law go down to the coast and catch their limit in redfish, and fry those suckers along with hush puppies. This has worked many times. This year we will be smoking fish, and doing a boston butt (pulled pork) all day Friday.

Better yet, get a whole pig and find the biggest pot ever and deep fry it. Be sure to schedule the triple bypass beforehand though. So worth it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was especially interested in the doneness temperature issue and have noted these suggestions.

Regarding the bird: I'm sure Mom just bought a frozen, brine infused turkey. These are not for brining, so flavor injections would be the way to go. Also, I don't think adding additional sodium is the answer either.

Regarding the oil temp: I know it's not as safe, but I say the oil should be really hot at first in order to slap a good scald on the bird and seal the skin, much like convection cooking. The flame should always be turned off when introducing the bird to pot.

The way I've done it before was to get a broom handle and place under the hook, and with Brother Boy on the other side lower and raise the bird.

Cold beer is definitely part of the process.

Cold beer is definitely part of the process.

Since temperature is a big issue here. Make sure it is at 38% before popping the top. If one unskilled fool of a family member brings unchilled beer to the festivities, simply roll the beer, YES, ROLL on top of the ice in your cooler for 3 minutes, presto ! Oh, and make sure the one that brought the unchilled beer is the designated roller, that will learn him.

Edited by TJones

We fried 3 birds on Thursday, and all 3 came out perfect!

I converted my inlaws into fried turkey lovers 5 years ago, and they say they will never go back... :D

I did do one with just an injection of butter,hlf a bottle of tabasco, lemon juice, black pepper, paprika...

It turned out great. I couldn't get the oil up to 350, but it did fine at 300-325. It wasn't as dark as others that I'd cooked, but nice and golden. The meat was fully cooked at 3 minutes per pound.

Injection: I emulsified two sticks of unsalted butter with canola oil, 1 heaping tsp ea garlic powder, onion power, paprika and 1/2 tsp of cayenne, the shot up the bird. It was amazingly savory.