GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

e2d2bd4a823405ccd5778778d3f951e0.jpg

The Downtown Redevelopment Authority and Downtown Distrcit are set to begin work on both Main Street and Dallas Street projects in January 2015. The Dallas Street project will create a pedestrian-friendly experience from Milam to Crawford, with widened sidewalks on both sides of the street. The walkways will feature dense street trees, landscaping and signature lighting. While the street is under construction, sewer and water line improvements will also be made to better support the increased development in the area. 

• Like 7

Time for itshappening.gif

Parking meters being removed. Cones are out. Dallas St construction underway for its shopping district makeover.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/569939298222362624

This is good news!

I really hope that the city and the landlords are able to bring three or four major retail tenants onto the street. Otherwise, this is time and money wasted.

• Like 1

A Lil birdie just told me they're going to implode the hotel area soon... no timetable yet.

They're still doing electrical work to move the power for Forever 21

Id presume by Spring Break as construction is supposed to start in April. As soon as I get deets on demo work, will pass along.

I'll happily defer to someone with more knowledge on the subject, and I certainly loves me some mayhem :ph34r: , but isn't implosion a bit of overkill, as well as a pretty fair amount of risk for a two story structure that's at least somewhat attached to adjacent things that will remain?

I'll happily defer to someone with more knowledge on the subject, and I certainly loves me some mayhem :ph34r: , but isn't implosion a bit of overkill, as well as a pretty fair amount of risk for a two story structure that's at least somewhat attached to adjacent things that will remain?

I think what was more overkill was Tumbleweed actually using the word "implode". I don't think they will do any "implosion". They will most likely do a very careful demolition. It's not only the stores around it they have to worry about, but also the bridge on the second floor!

This is good news!

I really hope that the city and the landlords are able to bring three or four major retail tenants onto the street. Otherwise, this is time and money wasted.

This is all good and dandy, but Im with Utterlyurban, if we dont land any major, blue chip retailers on this strip, this is a bunch of money wasted for nothing, kind of like the Houston Pavilions acroas the street....

Not to be so negative, but Im wary of them being able to make this work, such a bad location and the epic fail that drips off the pavilions is going to ooze across Dallas unless they do this absolutely correct, with super wide sidewalks, Manhattan style GFR, BRILLIANT LIGHTING AND SIGNAGE (can we change that stupid ordinance already?), and some major foor traffic retailers (Apple store, Macys, Bloomingdales, Zara, H&M)

Hopefully, the spayed and neutered version of Hotel Allessandra will shock some life into that 3 block lump of failure known as Greenstreet.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

• Like 5

This is marvelous!

@cloud

Wasn't there a rumor that the bottom floor or bottom two floors of sakowitz was being redeveloped into ground retail?

yeah.. i think it was even linked in an article further up the last page.. (1111 Main Street is the Sakowitz garage).

i just noticed something very interesting though. the quote from the last page says they are looking for someone to develop, own, and operate a MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT at the Sakowitz building. and the bottom 2 floors of 1010 Lamar would be converted to retail.

Yesterday's action item acquired full Board approval to execute the Memorandum of Understanding and initiate a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for the redevelopment of 1010 Lamar and 1111 Main Street. The RFQ for the redevelopment of the Site will seek a developer and design team to develop, own and operate a mixed-use development at the current location of the Garage Facility and the ground floor and second floor of the Office Building in accordance with minimum requirements established in the RFQ document."

I don't think that's the current layout of the Sakowitz interior. Right now there's a ramp going up from the Fannin side. That looks more like a retail floorplan to me...

yeah thats what i was wondering/thinking.. if thats the retail floor plan, thats a pretty large retail footprint. perfect for an anchor. i wonder if the stuff going on on the northern side of the Sakowitz building would be related to a mixed use development on the upper floors?

This is all good and dandy, but Im with Utterlyurban, if we dont land any major, blue chip retailers on this strip, this is a bunch of money wasted for nothing, kind of like the Houston Pavilions acroas the street....

Not to be so negative, but Im wary of them being able to make this work, such a bad location and the epic fail that drips off the pavilions is going to ooze across Dallas unless they do this absolutely correct, with super wide sidewalks, Manhattan style GFR, BRILLIANT LIGHTING AND SIGNAGE (can we change that stupid ordinance already?), and some major foor traffic retailers (Apple store, Macys, Bloomingdales, Zara, H&M)

Hopefully, the spayed and neutered version of Hotel Allessandra will shock some life into that 3 block lump of failure known as Greenstreet.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

yeahh, unfortunately i agree. they better be able to land 1 or 2 big department stores, something like an Apple store, and other big destination stores that draw in lots of people if they want to make this truly successful. i assume they are still working on changing the signage ordinance?

maybe that person who said he was in the know on the mayors retail task force, and that they were trying to turn Sakowitz into a Bloomingdales with some sort of hotel component in the upper floors was actually onto something.. i think most of us just thought he was bad **** crazy. lmao.

edit: i can't find the original post pertaining to a hotel/retail/mixed use combo at the Sakowitz building, but i did find this comment from htownlive (the one with this apparent info)

I know for a fact that the transformation of the Sakowitz building is in the works, as part of the Mayor Parker's Dallas Street Retail Corridor Project. The Ritz Carlton is considering the lot on Dallas Street at the end of the Corridor across from Discovery Green. W Hotel has been asked to build along the Corridor, as well. Add the already announced Hotel Alessandra and that's 3 new luxury hotels along the new retail corridor. Additionally, Macy's is planned to relocate along the Corridor, and they own Bloomingdale's giving them 2 large stores in the project. And many other retailers will have street-level shops along the new retail corridor. This is huge, so be patient. The project involves a collaboration with a multitude of people.

I don't know if it will all be ready for the Superbowl, but some of it will. Dallas Street will probably still be in major construction/transformation mode.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

in the grand scheme of things, the Superbowl doesn't matter. The NFL gets people into the NFL Zone at the stadium and does their best to keep them there. Most businesses see no rise in income during the super bowl, except for the hotels.

NOW... NCAA Final Four, OTOH.... THAT is a money make for the city.

now... with that said....

WOOT, THERE IS A BUS CUT-OUT AT HOB.... LOL

we thought we were losing it forever. pushing road cases over to polk street sucks, but it's our current reality until construction is done.. lol

Edited by Tumbleweed_Tx
  • Like 1

I agree that an Apple store, Zara and H&M would do well here.  The fact that CityCentre getting an H&M and Greenstreet hasn't been able to bring that type of retail  DT is a mystery to me.

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

• Like 1