GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

^^^ actually, this particular model / render, is much more attractive than the prison like  / forbidding structure, that later took the place of the original alessandra concept.  this illustration, is a bit softer in scale, much more classic / modern and aesthetically appealing.  the front entry is softer / beautiful, and much more inviting.  oh, and did i mention the gorgeous palm trees that present a bit of an exotic feel.  well done gensler.... 

• Like 1

Maybe, but I just don't see retailers choosing downtown over the galleria.  The galleria is clearly the location of choice, and growing stronger.  What's wrong with a coffee shop by the way?  

No way... the way downtown is structuring itself, currently restaurants and bars are the most stable. In about 2 years that whole dynamic will change because there will be more foot traffic which will entice businesses to move downtown. The reason it is so difficult for some businesses to move downtown is because it's so damn expensive. Which is actually a good thing, because based on how much Houston depends on the economy to show what direction development will occur, if we begin to see some stable retail downtown, then that will cause a ripple effect to surrounding neighborhoods. One great sign is the first wave of bars that came downtown during the initial phases of downtown redevelopment. Most of us knew that they were only there to capitalize on the idea of downtown being the next big thing. As more infrastructure and incentive programs have been put in place, we are seeing more stable retail downtown. I went downtown just the other night, and the overall quality of the bars and restaurants was very impressive, very well put together establishments. The next phase will be more downtown residents and retail stores will follow. The main difference with Uptown is that it's centered around a grand mall. So retail was put in place first, then residential, and finally better infrastructure. Houston is on the right path, and it's very exciting.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

I'm just going to have to disagree.  Mom and Pop stores won't survive if you have to park several blocks away or pay $10 - $15 to go shopping.  The only way I see downtown becoming anything close to a retail destination is if a large retailer leads the way with ample parking to serve other retailers.  Until then, downtown will be a restaurant-centric destination IMO.  Maybe not, but that's the way I see it.

That because mom and pop places don't cater to outside money...most focus on repeat business from a loyal base...that means they would draw the bulk of their money from those who call downtown, home and the business around them..the add advantage of focusing them along dallas st would be the hotel and convention crowd..

The sumiain problem with most thought process is making downtown into a retail destination. .truth not going to ha7at least in our life time...the galleria area just has too huge a advantage in name recognition and size. .Downtown best is to seek out unquine small stores and to get them to cluster in a given area ( Dallas st)...similar to how the downtown bar scene was revived...examples why would I go all the way to sak downtown when the one in galleria would most likely be bigger and connect to more high end stores...of I jus want a day of shopp5...now if I'm from out of town and attending a convention with maybe a hr to spare between prestation..I'm might dip out for a quick bit and to look are that intresting little boutique I saw as I was heading towards m the convention center

Edited by Moore713

The sumiain problem with most thought process is making downtown into a retail destination. .truth not going to ha7at least in our life time...the galleria area just has too huge a advantage in name recognition and size. .Downtown best is to seek out unquine small stores and to get them to cluster in a given area ( Dallas st)...similar to how the downtown bar scene was revived...examples why would I go all the way to sak downtown when the one in galleria would most likely be bigger and connect to more high end stores...of I jus want a day of shopp5...now if I'm from out of town and attending a convention with maybe a hr to spare between prestation..I'm might dip out for a quick bit and to look are that intresting little boutique I saw as I was heading towards m the convention center

That's the whole point man. If you build up a strong neighborhood that can support itself then people will choose convenience over anything. Doesn't mean the Galleria is going to lose it's status as a focal point for shopping, but if you create an environment for those living downtown to avoid having to make a trip all the way to the Galleria for the same item they could get downtown, then you've accomplished the goal of creating a successful urban core. And to think it won't happen in our lifetime is insane. No disrespect to your opinion, but foot traffic is going to increase so much downtown that it's going to draw regular retail chains to capitalize on that increase in population. I mean of course conventions are going to only be a plus for downtown, that's where Uptown loses. There are positive and negatives for both districts, but to say downtown isn't going to reach it's potential in our lifetime I think is very far fetched. I would agree with that if there was zero infrastructure in place, but that's not the case. Especially since people are moving closer to urban centers with easily accessible public transportation, the market is already following that pattern.

I think parking will become increasingly less of an issue.  I can't remember the exact numbers, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the downtown population (excluding detention centers, of course) should be at least 12,000 people by the time the current housing developments are finished and start filling up.  That's the size of a small town, big enough to support lots of shops on its own with no outside shoppers.

Downtown is dense enough that nearly all of that housing will be no more than about an 8 block walk from GreenStreet.  No matter how much you want to argue that Houstonians hate walking, I think 8 blocks is not unreasonable.  This means that I think GreenStreet should have no problem supporting ordinary shops, even without free parking, once the housing built for the Downtown Living Initiative is occupied.

• Like 1

^^^ actually, this particular model / render, is much more attractive than the prison like / forbidding structure, that later took the place of the original alessandra concept. this illustration, is a bit softer in scale, much more classic / modern and aesthetically appealing. the front entry is softer / beautiful, and much more inviting. oh, and did i mention the gorgeous palm trees that present a bit of an exotic feel. well done gensler....

I don't think those Palms would've happened. That's the skybridge end. Atleast you've got palms on the other end by Forever XXI

I seriously doubt the high-end luxury retailers would give up their west side locations for Downtown. I mean, a city like New York only has 2 Chanel locations (and we are light years away).

I can see affordable middle class options opening up Downtown, the kind of stores you see in suburban shopping malls. It's already happened with just a hand full at Green Street. I don't see why the stores would necessarily have to close shop to open Downtown. While Downtown has a few multi-million dollar condos,  it has no where near the money power of the Galleria. 

Certain stores can it make it that close. All they need is the demographics and the population. Look at Memorial City and the Galleria. Downtown +/- that close.

I agree that options like the ones you see in Meyerland (e.g. Target) or a suburban 'Town Center' would work well. IMO DT Houston has the capacity to support a Bath and Body Works, Marshall's, Home Goods, etc.  Stores you find in the strip center on Grey would work well, I think.

Incidentally, I was in downtown Fort Worth recently and saw a White House/Black Market there. BTW, downtown Fort Worth is really nice and I think a "sleeper" area in terms of growth and development in the state.

I seriously doubt the high-end luxury retailers would give up their west side locations for Downtown. I mean, a city like New York only has 2 Chanel locations (and we are light years away).

I can see affordable middle class options opening up Downtown, the kind of stores you see in suburban shopping malls. It's already happened with just a hand full at Green Street. I don't see why the stores would necessarily have to close shop to open Downtown. While Downtown has a few multi-million dollar condos,  it has no where near the money power of the Galleria. 

Certain stores can it make it that close. All they need is the demographics and the population. Look at Memorial City and the Galleria. Downtown +/- that close.

I agree that stores like Target, Bath and Body Works, Marshall's, etc. would work well downtown.  

• Like 4

I agree that stores like Target, Bath and Body Works, Marshall's, etc. would work well downtown.  

You're probably right. One day (maybe sooner than we think), downtown Houston will be the hottest shopping area in the city. The Galleria will still be the Galleria, as long as it stays relevant and keeps adding amenities, but downtown will be the place to go. Just look at what's going on in downtown LA, a place no one 5-10 year ago would have said would be able to attract the likes of Gucci or Whole Foods, let alone Ross Dress for Less. Houston, as we all know, is behind on trends by 5-10 years. As these luxury residential towers fill with the richy rich, they will start to demand better and better retail. The more of these rich peeps there are, the more the retailers will want to be close to them. If the wave of luxury residential continues - and it will - we'll start to see some cool stores open. Within 10 years we might even have a Gucci ;)

• Like 6

I really hope this works.

I am forming an opinion that if, after spending LOTS of money to create this street, significant retail (not coffee shops or cafes.... But stores that you can actually buy clothes, housewares, and electronics in) does not come, I think that downtown may simply not transform into the vision that many Houstonians have. This might be the best, and "last" shot to make it happen. I am really hoping that this effort works!

I suspect for dry goods retail to come (i.e. not food/drinks) the retail street will need one big name, destination store to come in first before anyone else.  I hope the city is trying to seek companies out if they're investing all this money

• Like 1

I suspect for dry goods retail to come (i.e. not food/drinks) the retail street will need one big name, destination store to come in first before anyone else. I hope the city is trying to seek companies out if they're investing all this money

It may need two..... "Anchors" ..... They don't need to be huge "mall size" stores, IMO, but they do need to be successful. I hope beyond hope that the city can pull this one off or, all of this is wasted.