The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

I see just for comic relief and pure laughs! Your right I thought this forum had some freaks, that one takes the cake. I love how you can rate members with little check marks. What I really love about it is how they just let it all go. No sugar coating, etc. I have to hand it to the editors or the ones moderating is they cancel you out for going too far. They have no pets, unlike.... :lol:

The entire concept of letting people post story comments to Chron.com online is very "small town".

Why is that small town?

I think they should do something like YouTube where you can rate a comment + or - and it gives it a total score. I hate how you can recommend a comment but you can't mark a comment that is stupid or false. People post all kinds of made up facts in there, and unfortunately a lot of people are dumb enough to believe what they read in the comments section.

Maybe they'll just get rid of it altogether, or only allow comments on certain articles.

I don't see any comments at the end of the story, Do you have to subscribe to the paper to see them?

No, half of those morons have probably never touched the paper, or any paper.

There should be a link near the bottom of the page that says "Read All Comments."

I got into an argument with a crazy guy who posted Pro-Jewish anti-Muslim words in this thread: http://www.chron.com/disp/commnts.mpl/head...ckCurrentPage=0

For some reason this posting of Ramadan attracts anti-Muslim people. When I told the man that I felt that all sides of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict were responsible, he accused me of lying. I reported his posts after they got personal attacks, and he ended up being banned. Then I found my account was banned too. I refrained from personal attacks, so I do not understand why my account privileges were blocked.

I tried contacting the Chronicle about this and I have not received an answer. If I do not receive a reply, it shows that the administrators do not know how to run a forum.

I also notice that administrators do not try to make their presences known. People don't understand what a TOS is and accuse the newspaper of "censoring."

Edited by VicMan

I don't see any comments in that link.
I believe display all should display them.MY comments are hidden; I can post all I want, but no-one besides me can see them.Is there a way to publicly ridicule the Chronicle's forums in a way to get the group to change its policies?Have a rival newspaper make a story about the Chronicle forums attracting loony cuckoo nuts?

i must confess, i've posted on several of the woodlands articles in the chronicle under the same screen name i use here. i can't see how it's "small town" to voice your take on an article. 'tis true that many of the posters seem really mad about everything. i like the opportunity to respond. i can't see how it's any different than voicing likes or dislike on HAIF.

LOL or maybe they think you're as crazy as the "crazy guy" you're complaining about

Possibly, but they have said nothing. I e-mailed several different people and I have not received a reply yet.

I avoided making personal attacks; instead of responding to insults, I simply reported the post and tapped my fingers on the table.

Possibly, but they have said nothing. I e-mailed several different people and I have not received a reply yet.

I avoided making personal attacks; instead of responding to insults, I simply reported the post and tapped my fingers on the table.

Why do this then?

MY comments are hidden; I can post all I want, but no-one besides me can see them.

Why do this then?

I am not posting any messages now; I tried one after I noticed the "This community member's page is currently being reviewed by the editors." message on my user page.

And I found the latest comment was not viewable.

See, on Chron.com, a post (or a user) may be taken down if it contains a "personal attack" - I can understand having posts removed for that reason. But I do not understand why my account would be frozen.

Edited by VicMan

LOLOL maybe they got the wrong "crazy guy"

They got the other guy after I reported him - I could tell when that message appeared on his user page.

It's a shame that the moderators don't speak... that means that some people have warped views on what the Chron.Commons allows...

They got the other guy after I reported him - I could tell when that message appeared on his user page.

It's a shame that the moderators don't speak... that means that some people have warped views on what the Chron.Commons allows...

Why do you waste your time on that site?

Edited by Marty

I finally found the forum, I don't know if it's just me or that you had to dig though the site just to find it?

http://forums.chron.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?n...ton&tid=640

I wasn't referring to that, and I am still able to post to "the forum."

I was referring to the Chron.commons, which has the postings after news stories.

They are some of the worst ever. Very predictable, and predictably bad. Interestingly, I saw a comment on one of the articles that came from one of our posters...changed his name, but clearly him.

Tell us who it is Mr. Innuendo

it's interesting how you say the chron forum has a problem, the kingwood forum has a problem, etc.... perhaps there's a common thread/user?