Herman's Shoe Repair

Does anyone know the history of this little Deco-ish building on Studewood? I searched the forums and didn't see anything. It's being transformed into something and some of the panache has been removed :( . I always meant to take some photos of it and now it's too late, so if anyone has some please post!

I took this photo of Herman's Shoe Repair a few months ago. I don't know if that was before the changes you're referencing, though. Information-wise, you might check the Chronicle archives. The principal's name is in the Press blurb on the link page.

If you find out more, I'd be interested in hearing it!

I took this photo of Herman's Shoe Repair a few months ago. I don't know if that was before the changes you're referencing, though. Information-wise, you might check the Chronicle archives. The principal's name is in the Press blurb on the link page.

I believe that was originally a Rettig's Ice Cream.

there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Yes, that is how herman's looked a few weeks ago. Since then they've covered the exterior (wood panels) and built a larger sloped roof on top....can't figure out what the final product might be for a shop that small.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Good Afternoon All,

hope your week goes well!

Any ideas what this place will be or when it will open for business ?

Also I noticed a Sno Cone stand in the Fiesta parking lot on 14th and Studewood.

Thank You

perhaps someone here can find the thread for you, but this was discussed in another post. apparently, it's going to be a residence

perhaps someone here can find the thread for you, but this was discussed in another post. apparently, it's going to be a residence

Awfully small residence, even by Heights standards, but I like living small. Can't wait to see it finished and inhabited.

What is a New Orleans style snowball? It's got alchohol in it?!

When I lived in NOLA we had them quite a bit. No alcohol, but it was the same shaved ice format that you see in North Shore Oahu (for those that have been). I prefer the Oahu ones as they add ice cream and a whole bunch of other cool items to the snocone. Its like eating a fluffy snow compared to most of the snocones I grew up with which were very granular crushed ice pieces. i.e. they were crunchy. A good snowball is not crunchy.

When I lived in NOLA we had them quite a bit. No alcohol, but it was the same shaved ice format that you see in North Shore Oahu (for those that have been). I prefer the Oahu ones as they add ice cream and a whole bunch of other cool items to the snocone. Its like eating a fluffy snow compared to most of the snocones I grew up with which were very granular crushed ice pieces. i.e. they were crunchy. A good snowball is not crunchy.

It's a very clean and cute looking building.

• The title was changed to Herman's Shoe Shop