Old Sugar Land/Missouri City/Stafford School Buildings

kayzer

I moved to Sugar Land when it was Sugarland, but way after segregation. I was told that the old part of town with numbered streets were the white houses and the part of town with lettered streets were for black residents. With this in mind I recall the old M.R. Wood School on Avenue F, which I thought had a very nice design. It apparently has now either been torn down or rebuild beyond recognition. I realize that it probably needed to be enlarged, but I'm sad that another of our old buildings have been lost.

Question #1: Where is the former "Sugar Land High School"? From 1950 to 1953, Ken Hall rushed for 11,232 yards for Sugar Land High School. Where is that school today?

Question#2: Are there any older existing schools in the area? It seems they all have been torn down. I know both Sugar Land and Mo City each have an old auditorium, but I think that's about it. Of these 3 cities, Stafford is the oldest established town, yet, I have never seen an old school that serviced it.

Question#3: Do either Mo City or Stafford have areas which were once segregated and where are they located?

Question #4: Does anyone know the history of the large house facing South Main (90A) near Present Street?

Question #5: Does anyone have a photo of the old M.R. Wood School they could post?

Any information or memories you'd like to share would be awesome. Thanks.

Question #1: Where is the former "Sugar Land High School"? From 1950 to 1953, Ken Hall rushed for 11,232 yards for Sugar Land High School. Where is that school today?

Question#2: Are there any older existing schools in the area? It seems they all have been torn down. I know both Sugar Land and Mo City each have an old auditorium, but I think that's about it. Of these 3 cities, Stafford is the oldest established town, yet, I have never seen an old school that serviced it.

I'd guess that the answer to both of these would be Lakeview Elementary. It served as elementary, jr high, & high school back before more schools were built, and is smack in the middle of old Sugar Land.

• 3 weeks later...

I also noticed the M.R. Wood school... not sure if it was torn down or just heavily refaced. When I was in school, it was the "alternative" school for Fort Bend ISD... where the bad guys went. And yes, it was the segregated school back in the day. That Mayfield Park area historically was the segregated neighborhood, dating back to the 1850's when the slave quarters of the Terry/Kyle plantation stood in the same location.

1. Yes, Lakeview elementary is what's left of Sugar Land HS... actually it was a K-12 school. The auditorium and gym buildings are all that's really left of the original complex that was built around WWI. It closed after Dulles HS was built around 1959. The original complex of buildings was pretty amazing.... I have many photos, will have to see if I can post.

2. Nope, no other old schools around that I know of.

3. Don't know about segregated areas of Stafford or Mo. City. Sugar Land's stands out because it was set up and built by the company town.

4. I think I know the house you're talking about, big 2 story turn of the century victorian next to Mo. City MS. Had heard what family built it at one time, but can't remember now.

5. I have a number of historic SL/Ft. Bend county photos, there was a coffee table book published in mid 80's called "Sugar Land Pictorial Tribute" or something, that clears up a lot of questions about the way things used to look. If I get brave enough, I'll try to upload some.

Didn't know Sugar Land was ever "Sugarland" LOL, the people who named it made it two words from the beginning (1853?).

• The title was changed to Old Sugar Land/Missouri City/Stafford School Buildings