The High Cost Of Free Parking

The issue of the cost-efficiency of various means of transportation is a tangled web, indeed. Seemingly reasonable arguments often break down under closer examination.

I read a review of a new book called The High Cost of Free Parking by Donald Shoup in City newspaper (Rochester, NY). A quote from the review:

"At more than 700 pages, it's an exhaustive look at the economics, sociology, and planning of an activity most of us take for granted. Shoup mixes copious footnotes and analytical graphs and charts with pithy quotes and quirky allegories to make a single point: Free parking carries a steep price tag."

I'm not a world traveller, but I have the impression that the assumption of 'free' parking shared by most Americans is not the norm in other countries. We unconsciously subsidize the automobile in many ways, yet zealously count every expense of public transportation.

I usually don't post links, but I think the above review is well worth reading. Whether Mr Shoup's accounting methods are accurate (he equates the cost of 'free' parking with Medicare and the defense budget) is moot. The point he makes seems worthy of examination.

Thoughts?

*moved post to its own topic* dbigtex56