Wilshire Village Apartments At 1701 West Alabama St.

E-mail this morning from a friend who lives there - he can put things in storage or in pals' garages and certainly has plenty of friends with a spare room to camp out in while he finds another place he can afford, but he's really concerned about all the elderly people who have lived there for decades. He hosted six people for almost 2 weeks after Ike who had damaged homes and no power - ironic that something considered such a derilict old teardown kept many people safe & sound and considerably better off than a lot of us.

howdy everyone:

well nothing great last forever. after 20+ years here, the slumlord finally gave in to the high rise developers. the wrecking ball will soon hit . sorry i've been out of touch with everyone but you can imagine how emotional, stressful and totally freaked out i am right now. i'll be off-line for a while until i resettle myself who knows where.

we all got the official certified letter today:vacate by the end of the month. check out the link below...they notified the media before they told us. a nice gathering in our parking lot this evening. from college students, musicians, teachers, retired folks and REAL old people that have called this home. it's sad that when this place opened in 1940, it was an architects showcase. true the slumlord didn't provide the upkeep, but it still stands as a monument to the neighborhood...and withstood 4 hurricanes and numerous tropical storms when other surrounding structures failed. a vast complex in area (Google: 3804 Dunlavy St., Houston TX) it's massive and beautiful magnolia trees that bloom and fill the air with relaxing aromatic delight will be what i miss the most. and the possums and raccoons in the attic. LOL.

met a LOT of folks here, some of my best friends for life, had damn incredible parties as well as utilized it for video productions, photography and graphic arts. the best damn studio i've ever had in my life. if time permits, before they throw us out, i'd like to have one hell of a sendoff party here. tear down the walls... literally.

Evictions Begin

Could there be some sort of fire-proofing between units? It's obviously each unit is not completely fireproof

Awesome interior shots, BTW. Outside of that first pic, it's not at all what I expected of the condition of the interior. It would definitely be nice to collect some of the fixtures before the bulldozers come in

Wow. Beautiful wood floors. Love the railing on the stairs too. So much character. What a total waste. These are in MUCH better shape than I imagined.

I guess since they don't have a 29 foot vaulted entryway, 5,000 bottle wine room (what's going to happen to these rooms when this fad passes?), a French-Mediterranean theme, fake rock accents, his and her vanities/water closets/closets, and a 28 burner cooktop, they are useless?

Wow. Beautiful wood floors. Love the railing on the stairs too. So much character. What a total waste. These are in MUCH better shape than I imagined.

well...the pictures are a little misleading because plenty of work needs to be done. many of the back porches are collapsed/rotted through, rotted floor near toilet, wood floors removed from units, etc. i was able to upload the rest of the pics and will update the previous post.

btw, during ike, he mentioned that he felt totally safe in the building. definitely solid construction. he also mentioned that the current owner said originally they were garden luxury apartments. if you lived there, you had made it.

Edited by musicman

We had a friend who lived there from about 1992-2002. She loved it there and her place was awesome so my wife and I and our son tried to move in back around 1999. The owner just wasn't having it at all.

Our friend's rent was absurdly low -- like $350 for a 1000 sf 2br. When she decided to move out she had a rude awakening regarding the realities of Houston real estate. She thought it was still the Oil Bust all over town.

I guess since they don't have a 29 foot vaulted entryway, 5,000 bottle wine room (what's going to happen to these rooms when this fad passes?), a French-Mediterranean theme, fake rock accents, his and her vanities/water closets/closets, and a 28 burner cooktop, they are useless?

Totally agree. But the developers won't be happy until everything in Houston that is old and has character is replaced by something that is cheap, flashy, and my personal favorite, "upscale". :rolleyes:

I think I might be the only one who isn't all that impressed with this place.

It's not that I don't have respect for historical structures. I think I just don't care for "garden style" apartments.

When I first moved to Houston, I had to walk by this place every week from Southampton to get groceries and it always creeped me out. I remember asking my landlord what that place was and he told me it was abandoned. It was a huge contrast to the nice houses in the surrounding area.

Also, since I come from a place that is much older than Houston, my idea of a historical structure is a bit different.

I think I might be the only one who isn't all that impressed with this place.

It's not that I don't have respect for historical structures. I think I just don't care for "garden style" apartments.

When I first moved to Houston, I had to walk by this place every week from Southampton to get groceries and it always creeped me out. I remember asking my landlord what that place was and he told me it was abandoned. It was a huge contrast to the nice houses in the surrounding area.

Also, since I come from a place that is much older than Houston, my idea of a historical structure is a bit different.

Yeah, that makes sense - it must seem odd to come to a huge city that is grasping at c. 1940s structures. In defense of Wilshire Village, though, it is of a style that isn't that well represented in this form in Houston these days..

I was expecting to be shot down more than I was for making that statement. :)

I can actually sort of understand why people care about this building, although I can't personally be excited or passionate about it's preservation.

I will however be happy if I see any change in the current state of the building - whether that means renovating it or tearing it down. As it is, it's an embarrassment for the neighborhood.

I was expecting to be shot down more than I was for making that statement. :)

It's early yet. :)

But I lived in the area for five years and I knew people who lived there. I thought it was a shame the condition they were in in 1990. This is so sad. It really could have been a showplace if maintenance hadn't been deferred for so long.

A friend and I went exploring this weekend and went into a few open units (no B&E for us, don't worry...). They were all gorgeous inside, as expected, but I can see now that it would truly cost a fortune to renovate them. To say that I was depressed upon leaving is putting it mildly. Just kept thinking, "What if?" the whole time. What if these had been kept up? What if someone came along and saved them before it was too late? Boo. :(

Here's one of the shots of the interior: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffbalke/3264744143/ All of the original fixtures and fittings were in each unit, including the old Fridgidaires and gas ovens in the kitchens. The wood floors were beautiful. The casement windows were lovely and let in great amounts of light. The stainless steel kitchens and thoughtful touches throughout each apartment (built-in ironing boards, large closets, etc.) really made it apparent that these were top-of-the-line at one time.

I'll post more photos as I can.

Thnx for taking the time to get those pics, musicman...love the round porch shapes, railings, and glass panels. Too bad the owners let it deteriorate. It would be nice if we had some art deco bldgs preserved in this city , they all seem to be disappearing. Hopefully some of those details will be salvaged.

Edited by NenaE

The thing that scares me the most is, what is going to go up here?

We've heard rumors of a series of lower high rises but how in the world are those going to be built in today's economic climate?

My fear is that this space is going to be clear cut, live oaks and all, and will sit vacant for years ala the Astrodome, Sonoma, Shamrock, etc... sites. That seems to be the Houston way.

Hopefully I am wrong in my presumption. If not, there is going to be a BIG SCAR in the middle of the Menil area.

Agree & seconded. Don't think they can graze cattle there like at the Astroworld site.

I'm wondering if the sheer size of the place worked against it. The infamous Carter's Grove Apartments on North Shepherd are being restored at record pace under their new name Garden Oaks Condominium LLC. Carter's Grove made some crackhouses look good and was condemned by the city - can't wait to see what units will be going for after work is finished.

Oh dear. Time to grab the pitchforks and light the torches again. I live two blocks north of this place and there was a call to arms when the development was originally announced in 2005, and there'll be another one now. My civic club is already rattling the sabres. FThis development is bounded by two lane Dunlavy, dead end Sul Ross leading onto two lane Woodhead, contraflow West Alabama (already busy at peak times and to get busier during light rail line construction on Richmond) and two lane W Main. If traffic was an issue for the tower at Maryland Manor then it should be an issue here. Fair to say this hood isn't as well heeled financially as our Southampton neighbors but for politically active there are few neighborhoods in Houston to match. Aren't there any new land uses in this city other than mixed use residential towers, strip malls and parking lots? What could this be with a little imagination - a park? A neighborhood pool? Another museum? (Those are rhetorical btw...)

A friend and I went by this place today. The beauty is still there despite decades of neglect by the owners. There is so much charm. Even more than that though, it is clear these things were built with quality materials and artisans rather than cheap crap and day laborers.

Oh well, I will have to resign myself with my little project of restoring an old home a few blocks away that was being marketed for lot value after having been left to die for the last 4 years.

Every bit helps. We did the same thing with our 1929 bungalow on Harold and our block neighbors were inspired to do the same with their own when they saw our renovation. The immediate area north of Wilshire does have some tradition of restoring, although there is some lot filler meditteranean stucco stuff appearing a little further west.