HEB Vs. Everyone Else

I am OK with speedy checkwriters, they need love too, but it's just that ..... I've never seen one. Seriously, I could chisel my name out of stone tablets in the amount of time it takes the checkwriters I'm always trapped behind at the gulfgate heeb. I find I shop there less and less, because the crowds and lines and the thousands of screeching, sticky children are just too much, plus they have no self check. I rock the self check. I could win the international self-check speed contest. I can self check a cart full of non-stickered produce faster than the actual checkers. Self check should be everywhere!!

If I know I'm going to have to pay by check at the grocery store, I fill out everything but the amount and signature before going into the store. The remainder takes only a few seconds. My apologies for delaying all of you who have been inconvenienced by the fact that I choose not to pay for groceries with a credit/debit card.

Sorry, but I don't like self check outs at grocery stores or Bigbox stores, primarily because some idiot in front of me can't figure out how to use the equipment...or the tape printer isn't working, or the change machine isn't giving the correct change, or...

The Gulfgate HEB is my default grocery store because I live in the Eastwood area and work at home. Driving across town to another store is sometimes necessary but it's still a PITA. It's easy to avoid the wild kids and ditsy adults if you can shop before school lets out (2-4 pm) or while families are at dinner (6 pm). Saturdays and Sundays at the Gulfgate HEB are hell.

I can understand the need for human interaction but why do you still use checks? Just curious.

You just get used to doing business a certain way. I could go to the courtesy booth ahead of time and write a check for cash and then pay the cashier in cash. Would that speed things up for you? Neither my wife nor I have a debit card.

We also have a rotary dial phone in the bedroom, and we have an electric percolator coffee pot in our kitchen. We don't have a Facebook account and I still carry a pager. I do own a cordless drill but still use the electric drill when I'm at my work bench. I use a folding wooden ruler to measure things even though I have several 25' tape measures laying about.

We are all product's of our generation. Some of us adapt to new technologies slower than others.

You just get used to doing business a certain way. I could go to the courtesy booth ahead of time and write a check for cash and then pay the cashier in cash. Would that speed things up for you? Neither my wife nor I have a debit card.

We also have a rotary dial phone in the bedroom, and we have an electric percolator coffee pot in our kitchen. We don't have a Facebook account and I still carry a pager. I do own a cordless drill but still use the electric drill when I'm at my work bench. I use a folding wooden ruler to measure things even though I have several 25' tape measures laying about.

We are all product's of our generation. Some of us adapt to new technologies slower than others.

Ah yes. We all do get used to doing business a certain way. :)

Ah yes. We all do get used to doing business a certain way. :)

People are weird and intractable in their habits. Cap'n Crunch lives on the pointy end of the stick when it comes to tech and electronics and gadgets, but when it comes to his finances, while he has various bank accounts and mutual funds, etc, he refuses to use bill pay, he refuses to pay with a debit card, and on payday he drives all over town to various places to pay his insurance agent and his credit card bank in person. He waits in those insufferable lines at the Heeb to pay the utility bills and the associated 'service' charges. He waits in line to get money orders for certain things, because he doesn't even have checks. In my mind this is irrational behavior of the highest order. I can't even conceive of wasting my precious free time in such a way. But, I stopped nagging him. Had to just let it go--it is his way, and as much as it pains me not to argue.......some things are not worth the argument.

I am a DIE HARD LOYAL HEB customer. Their store brands are excellent and I prefer to support a great Texas based company who stocks lots of local Texas products. Their prices are competitive with WM in my area also.

You should know by now that when Kroger came out with their Kroger tomato card years ago they literally raised the price of everything in the store by my experience 30 to 70 percent overnight. Then you received the ORIGINAL price when you used the new "discount" card. So when you think you are "saving" money you are just getting the prices at what they should be. I immediately stopped going there and when I mention this to people all of the time they act like I am nuts.

I stopped in a Randalls the other night to check out their new 1000's of "low" prices. Holy crap! EVERY single item I normally buy at WM & HEB that I checked was anywhere from 30 cents to a dollar higher STILL! If that is their new "low" prices they can have them. Selling out to Safeway was a horrible business move for what used to be the #1 rated privately held chain in the US.

Ranking of the 4 largest chains in Houston area:

1. Randall's (most expensive by far)

2. Krogers

3. HEB

4. Walmart

Houston is still the most competitive grocery market in the country. Most cities don't have as much a choice in competitors as we do. As least we have that to make up for our high electric rates!

Edited by The Gipper

• The title was changed to HEB Vs. Everyone Else
  • 3 years later...