What's with all the suburb hate?

Sealy is in Austin County. Austin County is a part of the Houston-Baytown-SugarLand metropolitan area. Sealy is about 4.5 miles from Brookshire and only about 9 miles from Cinco Ranch and other parts of the greater Katy area. It is most definitely a suburb.

Sealy is actually 12 miles from Brookshire on I-10 and about 20 miles from Pin Oak Road, which is close to the end of development in Katy. It's really a stretch to call it a suburb.

Sealy is actually 12 miles from Brookshire on I-10 and about 20 miles from Pin Oak Road, which is close to the end of development in Katy. It's really a stretch to call it a suburb.

Not to mention that if a town located 20 miles from a suburb is a suburb, then Columbus (located 20 miles further) also fits those criteria, meaning that it is also a suburb of Houston. Ditto Schulenburg. Ditto Waelder. Ditto Luling. Ditto Seguin. And therefore San Antonio is a suburb of Houston. After all, it's even located within a common geographic boundary as recognized politically and by the U.S. Census Bureau.

• 1 month later...

One of the things I've seen on HAIF is an animosity toward the suburbs (especially on the "How do we make Houston better" thread, despite the jest, I could see some dislike). Unfortunately, I can't really see where the hate is coming from. I can think of a few good reasons why inner-loopers may hate the suburbs and suburbanites:

1. Mostly rich white people.

2. Mostly McMansions.

3. Fine dining means (fill in chain restaurant)

4. They add traffic to the roads.

5. They think inner-loop Houston is crime-ridden and gross.

I wonder if the same suburb-hating people have similar animosity for other enclaves of wealthier-than-average families and good public schools, such as 77024 and even 77079.

I'd like to see what would happen if a developer tried to get state funding to build a new low-income apartment complex on vacant land in those zips now. I'd bet money would talk and it would be stopped. In Sugar Land, it was 100% a grass-roots effort and hard work of concerned citizens; any financial greed involved was that of the land seller, real estate agent and developer.

It's something of a double-standard here and on other local forums if you ask me.

I used to live in 77079. In general I didn't like it.

I live inside the Loop now and there's at least two low income housing projects I can think of in close proximity. It doesn't bother me. Nobody from those have ever bothered me.

I used to live right next to one in 77042. It didn't bother me then either. In fact it's not the people or the structure that bothers me; it's what almost always inevitably ends up happening to the schools when there is too much super-cheap housing in one area. Back then I didn't have kids; now I do. Priorities change.