Texas get an F for transportation funding

They gave Texas' transportation funding system an "F" in their report, It's About Time: Investing in Transportation to Keep Texas Economically Competitive, saying that road conditions will worsen, as will congestion, if the current funding level continues. The Texas Transportation Commission adopted the report Thursday.

"The majority of Texas roadways were built more than 40 years ago and are reaching the end of their design life," committee Chairman C. Michael Walton said in a statement.

http://texas.construction.com/yb/tx/article.aspx?story_id=157503372

I think Texas would probably get an "F" on funding of anything if the appropriate "Blue Ribbon" panel looked into it, be it education, transportation, health care... and that is before the coming $23 billion budget slash!

You cannot increase funding for the things Texas needs without increasing revenue, particularly with our exploding population. But increasing revenue is out of the question in our conservative political milieu.

Oh screw it, let's just cut taxes and see if that will increase revenue...

• Like 1

You cannot increase funding for the things Texas needs without increasing revenue, particularly with our exploding population. But increasing revenue is out of the question in our conservative political milieu.

Revenue Growth from Prior Year

2010 | +3.6%

2009 | -3.1%

2008 | +12.7%

2007 | +6.6%

2006 | +10.0%

2005 | +6.0%

2004 | +6.5%

2003 | +5.6%

2002 | +2.6%

2001 | +8.0%

10-year Revenue Growth

2010 Total Net Revenue = $87,357,158,214

2010 Inf. Adj. Net Revenue = $68,785,163,948

2000 Total Net Revenue = $49,845,829,550

Difference = $37,511,328,664 (+75.3%)

Inf. Adj. Difference = $18,939,334,398 (+38.0%)

10-year Population Growth

2010 Total Population = 25,145,561

2000 Total Population = 20,851,820

Difference = 4,293,741 (+20.6%)

Revenue per Capita

2010 Total Net Revenue per Capita = $3,474

2010 CPI Inf. Adj. Net Revenue per Capita = $2,735

2000 Total Net Revenue per Capita = $2,390

Difference = $1,084 (+45.4%)

Inf. Adj. Difference = $345 (+14.4%)

Conclusion

Revenue has increased much faster than population growth. Revenue per Capita has increased at a reasonable pace, even when adjusted for inflation.

A budget crisis is most likely linked to an unsustainable increase in the level of spending (which was most likely allowed on the basis of unrealistic assumptions used when forecasting revenue, such as that Texas would never ever have a recession or that a recession could never affect energy prices).

• Like 2

Your right, let's tax the hell out of the rich, or for that matter, let's raise taxes on everybody. That will increase revenue and it seems like the perfect time to do it. Everyone knows that to increase revenue/spur on the economy you MUST raise taxes. <_<

• Like 2

Your right, let's tax the hell out of the rich, or for that matter, let's raise taxes on everybody. That will increase revenue and it seems like the perfect time to do it. Everyone knows that to increase revenue/spur on the economy you MUST raise taxes. <_<

I don't see how that was a response to any of my statements, seeing as how you counter arguments I did not make...

• Like 1

Not surprising at all. As for the tax the rich argument, giving tax breaks to the rich does not help the economy, because they will SAVE the mony, NOT spend it. That is part of the reason why they are rich in the first place.

It would certainly help the budget situation raising taxes back to their pre-Bush levels.

Not surprising at all. As for the tax the rich argument, giving tax breaks to the rich does not help the economy, because they will SAVE the mony, NOT spend it. That is part of the reason why they are rich in the first place.

Yes, because we all know saving and investing never did anything for an economy. :rolleyes:

Is this the thread for complaining about government budget issues? No? Whatever. The government should behave like every other family/business/individual with a budget. Prioritize, and cut things that don't matter. I think they do a poor job and deciding what does and doesn't matter.

I don't see how that was a response to any of my statements, seeing as how you counter arguments I did not make...

Uhhh, the inuendo is more than obvious with your statement below.

"But increasing revenue is out of the question in our conservative political milieu.

Oh screw it, let's just cut taxes and see if that will increase revenue..."

Am I crazy or are you directly saying that revenue should be had by raising taxes, but that that will never happen because of the conservative agenda of cutting spending? Hard to assume anything else. Please explain.

Yeah, you might actually try to do that.

I guess you can spin anything both ways. I just know that this country was doing fine in the 1940s when the top bracket's income taxes were around 90%, so I don't think putting back at pre-Bush levels would do anything bad. We were growing economically in the 1990s so I don't see what the big deal was.

Edited by mfastx

I guess you can spin anything both ways. I just know that this country was doing fine in the 1940s when the top bracket's income taxes were around 90%, so I don't think putting back at pre-Bush levels would do anything bad. We were growing economically in the 1990s so I don't see what the big deal was.

Yes, single-variate regression applies perfectly to this subject matter. We need not think any further than that. It would be inconvenient.

Is this the thread for complaining about government budget issues? No? Whatever. The government should behave like every other family/business/individual with a budget. Prioritize, and cut things that don't matter. I think they do a poor job and deciding what does and doesn't matter.

I'd say that the eye-opener here is Niche's state govt revenue vs pop. growth statistics, in light of the multi-billion projected 2 yr budget shortfall, in light of absolute "conservative"/Republican Party control of all branches of Tx govt for the last 10 yrs.

a decade of empire building w/tax $ and campaign donations by Gov Perry's political machine and his minions in the legislature while claiming the mantle of conservatism put us here. More spending than ever = collapsing public infrastructure: "The Texas Miracle."

Perry is the Republican version of George Parr, the "Duke of Duval," but on an even bigger scale.

an absolute hoot that the Tea Party would back any incumbent Tx Republican in any election.

• 3 months later...

Yes. I heard a story about this recently on NPR.