• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Freeway shut down this weekend. Traffic wasn't too bad honestly.

That's because they were all on 290 towards Brenham, ogling wildflowers and headed to Round Top. From Chappell Hill to Brenham, a 7 mile drive that takes about 6 minutes, was pegged at over twenty minutes at one point.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2017 at 3:12 PM, JLWM8609 said:

Here's the latest information about the project

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/houston/59-610.html

The 59/69 SB to 610 NB ramp will still be 1 lane wide. I wonder why they didn't take this opportunity to expand that ramp to 2 lanes wide? Every other ramp that's currently 1 lane wide will become 2 lanes wide. 

On 8/2/2024 at 10:53 AM, JLWM8609 said:

The interchange is finished, but motorists say they see no improvement. Well, it wasn't a capacity added project so I'm not sure what they were expecting https://abc13.com/post/houstons-59610-interchange-project-is-done-area-leaving-drivers-frustrated/15134240/

You posted 7 years ago the planned improvements for the project.

• Reconstructs one-lane connectors to two-lane connectors
  • Upgrades interchange to current design standards
  • Adds shoulders on I-610 West main lane bridge
  • Increases vertical clearances
  • Increases sight distances
  • Adds detention ponds
  • Eliminates major weaving

I think the elimination of weaving and two-lane connectors are the two goals that would leave motorists happier, but it's been so long under construction that it feels like it's gotten worse. I moved here 3 months before this project started, I don't remember it before it was under all the construction and I doubt the motorists interviewed do either.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 4:15 PM, TacoDog said:

You posted 7 years ago the planned improvements for the project.

• Reconstructs one-lane connectors to two-lane connectors
  • Upgrades interchange to current design standards
  • Adds shoulders on I-610 West main lane bridge
  • Increases vertical clearances
  • Increases sight distances
  • Adds detention ponds
  • Eliminates major weaving

I think the elimination of weaving and two-lane connectors are the two goals that would leave motorists happier, but it's been so long under construction that it feels like it's gotten worse. I moved here 3 months before this project started, I don't remember it before it was under all the construction and I doubt the motorists interviewed do either.

I think motorists were expecting the elimination of traffic altogether after 7 long years of inconvenience. That'll never happen. This project mainly brought the interchange up to modern standards. While Houston has seen population growth slow down since 2017, Fort Bend has seen its population growth increase in that same time, and I'm willing to bet that many of those new residents work in Houston and travel through that interchange, so traffic isn't going to reduce. It's likely higher now. They did leave space for future express lanes on 610 between 59 and I-10, but that could be decades away, and local leadership seems to have gutted any chance for transit expansion, though I have seen Fort Bend Transit busses more frequently in Downtown and Uptown.