I don't see a Whole Foods or Central Market moving in here, it's just not upscale enough, yet. HEB, Trader Joe's or even Walmart is more likely. I posted this once before at the Lockwood South apartments when a man who lives where I was flying the drone from approached me to see what I was doing. He said his son works in the area around East River who said the workers at East River told him a Walmart was coming here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I don't see a Whole Foods or Central Market moving in here, it's just not upscale enough, yet. HEB, Trader Joe's or even Walmart is more likely. I posted this once before at the Lockwood South apartments when a man who lives where I was flying the drone from approached me to see what I was doing. He said his son works in the area around East River who said the workers at East River told him a Walmart was coming here.

Whole Foods is actually more likely than a Trader Joe's. As much as I love TJ, they (allegedly) have had a median income requirement historically. Whole Foods lined Brooklyn in the early 2000s when the artists were flocking there due to low rent. It became a meme. Walmart would make a lot of sense and I'd be more than happy to have them as a last minute pick up spot. It wouldn't replace an HEB for me, but it would make it where I could get last minute stuff without worrying too much about traffic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These workers said this was for stormwater for a temporary parking lot. To me it sounds like it will be for the construction workers that will building the Port Houston Authority's new HQ and maybe also the workers building the Anton Paar building later on.

lH7p29X.jpeg

hwMzBys.jpeg

msldiea.jpeg

CVMUabk.jpeg

umcMSjy.jpeg

w67qqBG.jpeg

• Like 8

@hindeskyi am very curious if the Anton Paar HQ is the building that gets the elusive grocery store as the ground floor. I always felt that particular parcel was the best place for a grocery store if one is to actually come, as it's on the edge of the facility.  I'm not going to get my hopes up because I'm not sure every company loves the idea of GFR, but if not there, it's going to be a while. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

@hindeskyi am very curious if the Anton Paar HQ is the building that gets the elusive grocery store as the ground floor. I always felt that particular parcel was the best place for a grocery store if one is to actually come, as it's on the edge of the facility.  I'm not going to get my hopes up because I'm not sure every company loves the idea of GFR, but if not there, it's going to be a while. 

The AP building is not going to have a grocery store on the ground floor. The building will only be for Anton Paar's uses. 

• Like 3

On 6/12/2024 at 8:47 AM, Amlaham said:

I hope I'm not wrong, but I feel like this location wouldn't make sense for Walmart. Their lots are usually huge and require a sea of parking. Comparing the Walmart lots in and around 610, they would basically need every inch left of East River in order to build their store. IMO, that seems very unlikely. Also, Walmart rarely/ if ever builds in a highly urban environment like this one. In general, I can't see any other large grocery store here, unless its something urban like HEB's Washington store. There's no HEB on the entire east and north/east side of Houston, the closest is at gulf gate, so this would be a lot of sense. Side note, Whole Foods couldn't survive midtown, so I doubt they will here. 

I think the most practical would be a small grocery store like Lidl, Aldi, Trader joes (doubtful but that type of concept)

Walmart builds urban stores you know. They'll just have parking underneath. Fun fact: before they built the Heights store they approached the city seeing if they wanted Walmart to build an urban style store but the city didn't require it

9 hours ago, Trae2 said:

Walmart builds urban stores you know. They'll just have parking underneath. Fun fact: before they built the Heights store they approached the city seeing if they wanted Walmart to build an urban style store but the city didn't require it

My daughters and I went to a Walmart in Honolulu e few weeks ago. Had an urban feel to it. Parking garage. Trying to get a break from Oahu prices.

10 hours ago, Trae2 said:

Yes I stated that in my post, they do have few urban stores but they rarely build them. There is about 5 urban Walmarts in the entire country. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, that's an oof. I guess that's why I saw a river barge and crane out there the other day (Sunday, if I recall).

I bet BBP is paying attention to this as they build out the trails West of Jensen by the Standard.

Edited by JBTX

Orion Group which has or will be moving their headquarters here and may have done the bank shoring and driven the sheet piles in. I bet whoever did the work will more than likely be back to fix that portion of the collapse. Unless they will be one of several parties to be sued by Midway/Parkway. Others would probably be the civil engineering group and the construction company. Lawsuits are going to happen.

A shoring/bulkhead company is currently working on the north bank of Buffalo Bayou toward the east side of East River, I saw them last week when driving by.

Orion Group - https://www.oriongroupholdingsinc.com

• Like 6

I was on the south bank flying the drone and a few walking. I later went to the site and got as close as I could walking and from the Jensen St. bridge.

I noticed this surveying reference mark, not sure if the East River workers were using it or the company doing the hike bike trails.

RkZtzwC.jpeg

p7N5IFu.jpeg

idphec9.jpeg

PteA2Ga.jpeg

FrE4AoV.jpeg

aS0DI4x.jpeg

OiP04F0.jpeg

l1k8umq.jpeg

7xSAnuR.jpeg

TimG5Do.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

This is really terrible news.  Saddening really.  If more sheet pile-driving will be necessary...and how can it not be...it will really be difficult for new Laura and The Standard tenants to put up with...as well as the leasing companies.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1