the crazy part is Justin Stapleton, the weather guy on channel 2 said last night that he lives right by this and that all the locals laughed (and apparently horrified) when they heard they were putting a pathway and building The Laura here...apparently this type of thing was happening all the time and he said it would only be a matter of time that The Laura slid into the bayou as well! Apparently the community felt this was a bad idea but no one listened that mattered i guess...

yikesaroonie 

Edited by gene

The ABC13 story said that portion of the bulkhead was 30 years old. The bulkhead further east is the new section Midway had built. I think it was lack of stormwater removal that waterlogged the area and had no way to get out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gene said:

the crazy part is Justin Stapleton, the weather guy on channel 2 said last night that he lives right by this and that all the locals laughed (and apparently horrified) when they heard they were putting a pathway and building The Laura here...apparently this type of thing was happening all the time and he said it would only be a matter of time that The Laura slid into the bayou as well! Apparently the community felt this was a bad idea but no one listened that mattered i guess...

yikesaroonie 

Nothing has ever stopped a developer from building anywhere in Houston... story since the beginning of time...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/buffalo-bayou-trail-collapse-19707890.php

Initial assessments from East River development officials have noted that the structural integrity of nearby buildings is not compromised, per the Houston Business Journal.

That didn't stop the Internet from posting pictures of the collapse, some of them ending up in subReddit communities, including r/CatastrophicFailure, where several users commented on the reasons behind the work's collapse. Many armchair experts declared that this was likely a "fill project and the existing subgrade failed." Another user quipped, "I do believe the retaining wall stopped retaining."

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hindesky said:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/buffalo-bayou-trail-collapse-19707890.php

Initial assessments from East River development officials have noted that the structural integrity of nearby buildings is not compromised, per the Houston Business Journal.

That didn't stop the Internet from posting pictures of the collapse, some of them ending up in subReddit communities, including r/CatastrophicFailure, where several users commented on the reasons behind the work's collapse. Many armchair experts declared that this was likely a "fill project and the existing subgrade failed." Another user quipped, "I do believe the retaining wall stopped retaining."

You have to admit the collapse looks awfully close to those structures.  I’m not gonna lie, the thought crossed my mind “oh no, what if those buildings are condemned!”

I have no background in construction…. obviously.  🤣

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 1:57 PM, hbg.50 said:

You have to admit the collapse looks awfully close to those structures.  I’m not gonna lie, the thought crossed my mind “oh no, what if those buildings are condemned!”

I have no background in construction…. obviously.  🤣

i live by here and everything is fine except that portion of the walkway.

When the cat 1 hurricane hit, that whole section of the walkway was underwater.
I am not surprised that it collapsed cause it looks like the bulk head was already failing a while back as the sand that was put between the bulk head and the walkway was washed away in that section a couple of months ago. It looks like midway just sand-filled it back in without fixing the root cause. 
The flooding coupled with the failing old bulk head is probably what failed. Midway did install new bulk head but what failed was the existing old one.

This is a known issue with the bayou, and I was hopping the put brand new concrete-like steps like in CHicago river walk vs just metal bulkheads cause flooding will continue to fail the walk ways.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Gabby said:

i live by here and everything is fine except that portion of the walkway.

When the cat 1 hurricane hit, that whole section of the walkway was underwater.
I am not surprised that it collapsed cause it looks like the bulk head was already failing a while back as the sand that was put between the bulk head and the walkway was washed away in that section a couple of months ago. It looks like midway just sand-filled it back in without fixing the root cause. 
The flooding coupled with the failing old bulk head is probably what failed. Midway did install new bulk head but what failed was the existing old one.

This is a known issue with the bayou, and I was hopping the put brand new concrete-like steps like in CHicago river walk vs just metal bulkheads cause flooding will continue to fail the walk ways.

The bayou came up all the way to the walkway during Beryl? Actually impressed......

16 minutes ago, Triton said:

The bayou came up all the way to the walkway during Beryl? Actually impressed......

I don't think it did. I live right nearby and I didn't see it get that high up. It barely got that high up during Harvey (pic attached, but from the other bank of the bayou as the Laura didn't exist at the time).

20170827_124133.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/21/2024 at 11:00 AM, gene said:

yikesaroonie 

Speaking of laughable...

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/22/2024 at 4:55 PM, JBTX said:

I don't think it did. I live right nearby and I didn't see it get that high up. It barely got that high up during Harvey (pic attached, but from the other bank of the bayou as the Laura didn't exist at the time).

20170827_124133.jpg

The water came up to the walk way at East river. I have pictures of it as I went over there and took pictures. Will post them when I find it on my phone

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 9:54 AM, ljchou said:

One of the first confirmed leases I've heard of is Broham Grocery (a small box, artisan bodega currently in north Houston). Owned by Chef Jonny Rhodes of Indigo. He also owns Food Fight Farms. His mission is to combat the lack of food availability in lower socioeconomic communities.  He's specifically targeting the fifth ward as the primary community served with this new location.

Excited he'll be a member of the community.

https://www.instagram.com/broham_groceries/?hl=en

On 10/28/2021 at 6:40 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Midway released an announcement regarding additional tenants for the East River development in Houston's Fifth Ward.

The press release confirms details from East River's merchandising plan leaked earlier this year of a cultural market for the development. It also confirms @ljchou's post a few weeks ago.

Here is the article published yesterday on Bisnow:

An award-winning chef’s African heritage and soul food grocery is among the first announced retail tenants in Phase 1 of the $2.5B East River mixed-use project being developed by Midway.

Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries originally opened in 2020 in the Trinity Gardens community and was created by acclaimed chef Jonny Rhodes, who became a national name for his now-shuttered restaurant Indigo, also in north Houston. Rhodes closed Indigo, in part, to focus on Broham and his efforts to tackle food insecurity and lack of land ownership among Black communities. The new store will focus on house-made and locally sourced grocery items.

When it opens in 2023, the new Broham will sit in a 4K SF space in The Depot, a ground-level area of the 150-acre development. The project broke ground in August.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/retail/grocery-from-acclaimed-houston-chef-one-of-first-announced-retail-tenants-in-25b-east-river-project-110679

And from Houston Business Journal a few days ago:

Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries will occupy a 4,000-square-foot space in The Depot (the ground level of a garage structure). The food purveyor is a new concept created by Jonny Rhodes, a local James Beard Award-nominated chef, who until earlier this year ran nationally acclaimed Neo-soul food restaurant Indigo. His new boutique bodega is focused on providing self-sustainable goods, which include locally sourced seafood, meats, produce and freshly baked bread as well as cheese and specialty condiments.

Rhodes’ farm, Food Fight Farms in Cleveland, will be the store’s primary supplier, providing handmade, pre-packaged items that shoppers can purchase.

In what he hopes will create a “green circle,” Rhodes plans to offer coupons to customers in exchange for produce purchased in the store that the customer later discovered wasn’t needed. The chef also plans to offer a membership program for avid home chefs to provide discounts, coupons, farm tours and access to specialty products from around the world.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/10/26/midway-east-river-jonny-rhodes-lick-urbn-dental.html

Maybe Jonny Rhodes will also open another restaurant that will be part of the East River development? The info shared in the deleated leaked documents related to East River (linked above) lists a restaurant from a Fifth Ward resident who's also a James Beard nominee. That sounds a lot like Rhodes.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:41 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Aside from the proposed merchandising plan above, an updated one was accidently posted last spring on the East End District's Facebook page. However, no one posted a screenshot here. So, I don't know if the most recent site plan lines up with the placement of Lick and Broham on the previous one.

Here is an updated site plan for phase 1 of the East River mixed-use. Broham, Lick, and Urban Dental are shown (all were previously announced & discussed, but I don't recall seeing them listed on an updated site plan until this month, though it's possible I overlooked it). This is from East River's Loopnet, updated last week.

spacer.png

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/100-Jensen-Dr-Houston-TX/20944149

East River Retail Brochure (Jan. 2022)

On 11/23/2023 at 6:22 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Broham / Broham Grocers is indeed located at 2921 Riverby Rd, Suite 100.  Although the news of the boutique grocery's move to East River has long been reported, the store's address was never disclosed.

In a recent update to East River's website (updated sometime in mid-September or early October), there is also a refreshed directory of retailers and companies. The directory includes pages to each businesses announced so far. It also includes their addresses.

Broham / Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries is chef Johny Rhodes' forthcoming boutique grocery store.

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/directory/broham-grocery-store

https://brohamgrocers.com/

U51LxHx.png

On 11/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is an updated site plan / directory map from East River's website. The website was updated a few months ago (I can't remember when).

The directory also includes most of the addresses of companies and retailers announced so far.

• OJB Landscape Architecture

• Port Houston

• Houston Maritime Education Center and Museum - 2940 Riverby Rd, Suite 200

• Impact - 2920 Riverby Rd, Suite 400

• Method Architecture - 2920 Riverby Rd, Suite 200

• Suderman & Young - 2940 Riverby Rd, Suite 210

• Teal - 2920 Riverby Rd, Suite 500

• East River 9 - 65 Hirsch Rd

• Riverhouse - 65 Hirsch Rd

• Moonstruck Drive In Cinema - 100 Bringhurst St

• Le Tesserae - 2940 Riverby Rd, Suite 115

• Tomi - 92 Jensen Dr, Suite 104 

• Urbn Dental - 2921 Riverby Rd, Suite 110

• EaDo Eye Studio - 2921 Riverby Rd, Suite 104

• Broham Fine Soul Food & Groceries - 2921 Riverby Rd, Suite 100

• Lick Honest Ice Creams - 2920 Riverby Rd, Suite 120

Not included in the directory yet:

• City Cellars - 2850 Riverby Rd, Suite 110

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/explore-directory/map

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/explore-directory/grid

qngcvwM.jpg

On the latest site plan and directory for East River / East River District, Broham Grocers is no longer listed on the map. It is also removed from the directory. However, it is listed in a list below the map. 

Broham is the boutique grocer from Chef Johnathan 'Jonny' Rhodes. It was initially planed for The Depot at 2921 Riverby Rd, Suite 100. Now, it appears Broham is not moving forward at East River.

I reached out to Midway for confirmation. In the meantime, does anyone have any insight?

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/explore-directory/grid?tab=explore-eat

3ICyi6c.png

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/explore-directory/grid#directory-shop

eb6Eeqj.png

https://www.eastriverhtx.com/explore-directory/map

b2PQcTI.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a cluster. That wall looks like the new sections that were installed just a few years ago. How could this have been messed up this badly?

I hope this doesn’t affect the whole project as this look like a massively expensive problem to rectify. 

18 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

What a cluster. That wall looks like the new sections that were installed just a few years ago. How could this have been messed up this badly?

ABC13 said the portion that collapsed was 30 years old. I think Midway had the section east of this built before construction started onshore.

• Like 3

Yeah going back to pages 30-35 shows the concrete area is old and all the back metal piles are new. Deciding to cheap out on that small section is going to cost many magnitudes more than they saved I’d have to assume. 

27 minutes ago, JBTX said:

Insurance, warranties, contractual reps/certs, indemnities...

Midway will be ok. The contractor who built it, less so.

This old post shows the old bulkhead tied into the new sheet piles. The entire section of the pre-existing bulkhead is what failed and contributed to the failure of the new sections. Midway cheaped out by not replacing the old section and they'll be paying for the repair one way or another.

4 minutes ago, jmitch94 said:

Yeah going back to pages 30-35 shows the concrete area is old and all the back metal piles are new. Deciding to cheap out on that small section is going to cost many magnitudes more than they saved I’d have to assume. 

Jinx

Edited by phillip_white
  • Like 1