Chevron Skyscraper Proposal At 1600 Louisiana St.

ricco67

oil/gas companies owned the land that became the woodlands (mitchell energy) and kingwood (exxon i think).  exxonmobil needed the infrastructure that springwoods developed in order for exxon's new campus to get off the ground.  the same could be true of 2,175 acres;  2,175 acres which is just down the street from where a planned extension of the hardy toll road will come out (south loop 336 in conroe).

I think the King Ranch owned the Kingwood land. I think the Woodlands wasn't part of Mitchell Energy, just another George Mitchell project.

Much of the Camp Strake land is in the flood plain, and not very useful. The City of Conroe will probably end up with 300+ acres to expand the sewer plant.

God I hope they don't build in the woodlands instead of DT. I'll never buy their gas again.

You don't know whose gas you are buying at any given store. All gas is pretty much the same, other than the additives put in at the terminal, or distribution point. Since the nearest Chevron refinery is in Mississippi, the Chevron gasoline sold here is likely refined by a competitor, with Chevron additives added at the last minute before delivery.

oil/gas companies owned the land that became the woodlands (mitchell energy) and kingwood (exxon i think). exxonmobil needed the infrastructure that springwoods developed in order for exxon's new campus to get off the ground. the same could be true of 2,175 acres; 2,175 acres which is just down the street from where a planned extension of the hardy toll road will come out (south loop 336 in conroe).

Oh ok so it would be more of a investment, like them developing it into a master planned community. Not necessarily just a campus head quarters.

If this is true, that they are trying to purchase the site, I wish they would have purchased the KBR site or the Hardy yards site.

I think the King Ranch owned the Kingwood land. I think the Woodlands wasn't part of Mitchell Energy, just another George Mitchell project.

Much of the Camp Strake land is in the flood plain, and not very useful. The City of Conroe will probably end up with 300+ acres to expand the sewer plant.

"The Foster Lumber Company originally owned a portion of the tract of land that was later developed into the community of Kingwood. The Foster Family had owned the land since around 1892.[5] On December 28, 1967, the land was sold to the joint venture between King Ranch and the Friendswood Development Company, an Exxon subsidiary.[6] Exxon's Friendswood Development Company hired John Bruton Jr. to serve as the Operations Manager in which he was responsible for the planning, development, engineering, and construction of Kingwood"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingwood,_Houston#cite_note-Kingwood.2C_Texas_Summary-6

the woodlands development didn't split from mitchell energy until late in the game.  mitchell energy was mitchell energy & development.  the development part of mitchel energy

became the woodlands development company.  http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dom05

They got a variance to build it up (or at least part of it):

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/boy-scouts-to-begin-evaluating-possible-camp-strake-buyers/article_83b68a37-ce55-566c-9ab0-5a4b7a4ef55d.html

heard a rumor that that of the boy scouts' five offers for camp strake in conroe, just north of 1488, that two of the offers are from shell and chevron.  minor league baseball has been publicly reported as having made an offer as well.  although shell and chevron have popped up in rumors about a woodlands tower, downtown towers, and i think something was in the paper about shell expanding at a current location, they must be reviewing many options.  a second large energy company just north of the woodlands would make the woodlands town center "bookended" and the center of a growing new city center.

has anyone else heard the same?

Those Shell and Chevron rumors seem pretty unlikely. 

Chevron has made a huge commitment to its downtown campus. Very unlikely to be moving anywhere.

Shell has recently extended its downtown leases and is expanding its footprint in the energy corridor.  Also very unlikely to be going anywhere.

• Like 6

could someone please specify what block this is going on? i know its the "old YMCA block", but not sure which one that is.

i just looked at the map. i see where the new YMCA is but im not sure if thats the same block. i was hoping the new tower would be able to be connected into the ring skywalk, but it doesnt appear as though thats possible unless they were to build it on top of the parking garage. i had been thinking how neat it would be to have the three towers clustered together with two more ring skybridges, one halfway up the buildings, and another at the top of the buildings, to better interconnect the buildings so workers didnt have to take the elevator all the way down to ground level and then back up to get around "campus".

Edited by cloud713

could someone please specify what block this is going on? i know its the "old YMCA block", but not sure which one that is.

i just looked at the map. i see where the new YMCA is but im not sure if thats the same block. i was hoping the new tower would be able to be connected into the ring skywalk, but it doesnt appear as though thats possible unless they were to build it on top of the parking garage. i had been thinking how neat it would be to have the three towers clustered together with two more ring skybridges, one halfway up the buildings, and another at the top of the buildings, to better interconnect the buildings so workers didnt have to take the elevator all the way down to ground level and then back up to get around "campus".

Here's a Google Street view of the block.

http://goo.gl/maps/6SYq2

Of course, that has the old YMCA building still up on it.  Obviously, it has since been cleared.

Edited by The Pragmatist

Here's a Google Street view of the block.

http://goo.gl/maps/6SYq2

Of course, that has the old YMCA building still up on it.  Obviously, it has since been cleared.

oh ok thanks. so its the "1600 Louisiana" block/empty lot right beside the 1500 tower? i guess i could see why they would need to be making renovations to the lower floors of 1500 then if the new tower is linking into the building from the side opposite the circle skybridge. i wonder if they are going to keep the theme and go with another circle skybridge?

That magnolia in the street view is still there. I can pretty much guess that the same design theme will carry over based on the sidewalk repairs being made around the base of 1400 Smith and 1500 Louisiana. About 6-9 months ago they completed the exterior infill paneling where 1500 Louisiana previously connected to the old YMCA. From the looks of the assembly the new design will probably not have a single storey sky walk and more likely the architect will move the mass of the tower's podium base to align along Smith St. to make the interior lobby a seamless double storey transition and this is above where the tunnel access is too but there's no telling where the mass of the tower will end up or how they will connect or improve the drop off/smoker park into the new design.

The rendering shows it to be SIGNIFICANTLY taller than the 1400 Smith building, which is also 50 stories (sorta 51 stories), and that one is 691 feet. I'm curious if it will actually be a lot taller or it is just the drawing which is incorrect.

Just going by the rendering, the floor count of the tower maybe 50 stories. But it looks like it is sitting on top of a 7 story garage or lobby and the top floor looks twice as high as the other floors. This tower might actually look like a 59-60 floor building.

Edited by Hugh Stone
  • Like 3