Chevron Skyscraper Proposal At 1600 Louisiana St.

ricco67

I think my original post got taken a bit out of hand - or I didn't explain myself correctly?  Either way I'm pleased they are in Houston, and even more pleased they are absolutely moving forward with the highrise downtown.

I'll refrain from posting any "insider" information in the future since everyone gets so worked up.

Chevron is indeed moving forward with this tower. I think you guys will like the design even more once new renderings are released. As to Arche, I would say that you should gather more information from your friend before spreading a rumor that's incorrect. I understand why others here are getting worked up, this is something pretty big for downtown. 

Edited by invisibletrees

I think my original post got taken a bit out of hand - or I didn't explain myself correctly?  Either way I'm pleased they are in Houston, and even more pleased they are absolutely moving forward with the highrise downtown.

I'll refrain from posting any "insider" information in the future since everyone gets so worked up.

Chevron has a chemical division that's headquartered in The Woodlands?  Could your source potentially be referencing that entity?

All I know is that he told me that his firm is working on a campus for Chevron that is very large.  He said they are well into the design of the campus.

I never meant to imply that they will build a campus in place of a tower, but according to my friend the scale and scope of Chevrons campus is quite large.  Again - he didn't know about Chevrons plans for a downtown tower until I told him.

I think others have misunderstood what I said "Chevron could go either way?  I understand they are looking to build a suburban campus like Exxon out near Spring Woods/The Woodlands - if that happens perhaps they move from Downtown?  If that does happen, then perhaps they will vacate both fromer Enron buildings?  That would leave 2 40 floor towers virtually empty and place little need for something like Stream to move forward."  [that is from post 256]

I never said "The tower is off"  or  "They won't build the tower because of the campus"  I was just speculating that they may perhaps do one or the other.  That was all.  Sorry for mentioning anything...  but since this is a forum and most of the posts on here are just speculation and opinions I felt I could maybe mention it.  Boy was I wrong.

Edited by arche_757

I understand why others here are getting worked up 

Doesn't take much. If you doubt a project, question a project, don't like something about a project, wish a project were in a different location, or just about anything else other than cheering for the project as-is and hoping it gets done fast, people will get worked up.

• Like 1

Arche_757 has done a good job of breaking down his original post to make perfect sense as to what he meant.  No need to keep dogging him for something that was taken out of context.

I make a motion to return this thread back to its rightful purpose...speculating on why or why not this tower will get built and why the floor height keeps changing.  Also, how it looks sort of like a head and shoulders shampoo bottle as was referenced before.

• Like 1

down with arche_757 and his fearmongering!

that said, your friend is likely referring to ChevronPhillips who currently has something like 200K SF in the woodlands, i believe took an additional 50K in either hughes landing or research forest and is rumored to be considering a 200-300K sf build-to-suit in the area.

chevron is committed to downtown houston for a very long time - trust that much to be true.

• Like 2

They have already added to the scope previously discussed here. If anything happens to this building it will only get taller.

Is there a possibility that it will get taller? I don't want to blow this out of proportion like the rest of the thread has just because someone mentioned that Chevron(Phillips) might have a BTS near Exxon, but that would be pretty sweet if true. Regardless, this tower is awesome and the fact that a 2nd one might be in the works nearby is good enough for me.

Edited by ClutchCity

This tower is DEFINITELY happening. Why is this even being debated?

Source: my father is a Chevron VP.

We're past that. People misunderstood a post. Separate from the tower, a Chevron company has shown interest and possibly has plans for property in The Woodlands or north of The Woodlands.

• Like 1

No one misunderstood arche_757's comments.  He/she was pretty clear in saying exactly what they meant - that Chevron could "go either way" - as in possibly not doing the downtown tower in favor of a Woodlands campus. So yeah they invited scrutiny of those speculative comments based on a silly rumor they supposedly heard from a "friend".

Chevron is indeed moving forward with this tower. I think you guys will like the design even more once new renderings are released. As to Arche, I would say that you should gather more information from your friend before spreading a rumor that's incorrect. I understand why others here are getting worked up, this is something pretty big for downtown. 

Have you seen the new renderings?  Can you provide us any description?  I was one of those who were most disappointed by the initial rendering...

ChevronPhillips is a chemical company, not to be confused with the former ConocoPhillips.  ChevronPhillips is headquartered in the Woodlands.  

Correct but just to clarify, ConocoPhillips split into Conoco (upstream) and Phillips66 (downstream) last year. ChevronPhillips (CP Chem) is a joint venture between Chevron's and Phillips' chemical divisions and has been around for over a decade (a few years before Conoco and Phillips originally merged).

No one misunderstood arche_757's comments.  He/she was pretty clear in saying exactly what they meant - that Chevron could "go either way" - as in possibly not doing the downtown tower in favor of a Woodlands campus. So yeah they invited scrutiny of those speculative comments based on a silly rumor they supposedly heard from a "friend".

I hardly find it silly.  My source is an architect who is working on a large corporate campus in town - his boss told him about it, and he told me.  So I guess since I'm third down the pike it can be easily misunderstood?  I didn't mean to cause so many people heart attacks about this project.

However, I did not ever say the tower was cancelled - far from it.  I said that in my opinion "If Chevron decides to build a very large campus up north in the Woodlands then they may rethink their idea about a tower in downtown"  That's it.  I never said I heard from someone they are building the campus, and not the tower.  I only said "They are possibly building a campus up near the woodlands.  And that maybe they will rethink the tower" & "it could go either way" - again that was me interjecting my opinion into a statement.

I'm really at a loss how to make that more clear?  And I'm a "he" as my profile states.

I'm a pessimist by nature.  And that is quite common being an architect - you have no idea just how many projects that sound great and would be a huge addition to the city that come along and never even make it out of the office to a media source.  Very few.  And of those that do make it - how often do we see them cancelled?  Often.  So in my professional experience I have found that until a contractor is moving dirt and work is actually underway a project is not a go in this town.  That is what I was alluding to in my opinionated post.  I have to see it to believe it.

Correct but just to clarify, ConocoPhillips split into Conoco (upstream) and Phillips66 (downstream) last year. ChevronPhillips (CP Chem) is a joint venture between Chevron's and Phillips' chemical divisions and has been around for over a decade (a few years before Conoco and Phillips originally merged).

To clarify your clarification ;-)   

The upstream portion of the former ConocoPhillips is actually still named "ConocoPhillips", not "Conoco."

So we now have:

ConocoPhillips (an independent e&p company)

Phillips 66 (a refining, marketing & pipeline company)

Chevron (an integerated super major)

Chevron Phillips (a chemical company)