Chevron Skyscraper Proposal At 1600 Louisiana St.

ricco67

Were going to look like a spread out Dubai with all of the cranes all over town. There's not an area of town that won't be affected in a positive way.

A Spread out Dubai?

Like Dubai s towers are not spread out in random places?

Dubai builds more in line with Houston than NY when it comes to layout. Give them their due, they do have style. The developments are usually cutting edge

post-12649-0-10460600-1391391186_thumb.j

post-12649-0-92438600-1391391204_thumb.j

post-12649-0-95303300-1391391232_thumb.j

post-12649-0-84788700-1391391251_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
Colbert said Chevron, too, is paying attention to what its employees find valuable at the office.

She said that includes a fitness center, health care clinic, child care and as much green space as possible.

The California-based oil giant has been expanding in Houston. It had plans to start construction this year on a 50-story office tower near its downtown campus, but recently put the building on hold. The company has said it still plans to build the tower.

Colbert did not address the project during the panel, but when asked about where the company will be in 10 years, she said it is committed to downtown.

"We're excited about the infrastructure and renewal projects in downtown," she said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Right-design-can-help-with-office-space-5257706.php

• Like 2

That's wonderful news.  I got a question though, is this project going to include the creation of more parking spaces or will the parking garage that exist now (for Chevron) be sufficient?  

If they need more parking, why not add a multi-story parking garage below the 50+ office floors to make this tower even taller.  I'm just wondering if that's possibly in the plans.  If not, I assume a separate parking garage will get created (if it's needed) but not sure if that's been mentioned before.

Edited by democide

Per the link below, 609 Main is 1M sqf at 48-stories, 5 Allen is 50-stories w/ 1M sqf and the Chevron tower is only 50-stories at 1.7M sqf?

6-Houston is 30 stories and 600k sqf. 

Something is not adding up. If the Chevron tower is really 1.7M sqf, it should be closer to 55-stories, unless the floor plates are like 27k sqf or something.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-03-05/140303_Downtown_Houston_Development_Map_11x17.pdf

What am I missing?

Per the link below, 609 Main is 1M sqf at 48-stories, 5 Allen is 50-stories w/ 1M sqf and the Chevron tower is only 50-stories at 1.7M sqf?

Something is not adding up. If the Chevron tower is really 1.7M sqf, it should be closer to 55-stories, unless the floor plates are like 27k sqf or something.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-03-05/140303_Downtown_Houston_Development_Map_11x17.pdf

What am I missing?

It's not as svelte as the others. A little disappointing, since the BoA tower in Atlanta is the tallest outside New York or Chicago with only 1.2 million sf. The US Bank Tower in LA, "tallest west of the Mississippi," is only 1.3 million sf. It seems Chevron would rather have a skybumper than a skyscraper.

• Like 1

The Exxon building is 28000 sq ft per floor, at 1.2 million sq ft on 43 floors. There's plenty of room for Chevron to get 1.7 million from 50 floors. That's 34,000 sq ft per floor, or 200x170.

That's a pretty huge floor plate. The rendering makes it look kinda thin.

I would not go off the renderings provided. Those look very basic honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up 60 stories, but we will see. I think when they do it, they are going to go for something really cool and imposing

• Like 1

What am I missing?

Their gigantic podium.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm interested to see how Chevron's future contracts with Pemex effect their space needs here. Also happened to see the other week that they had taken down an additional 100k sq ft in 1600 Smith. Anyone know how much space they are renting now? It's got to be over 700k in Brookfield's properties alone! Can't wait for more info on this one. :]

Edited by ClutchCity
  • Like 1

I'm interested to see how Chevron's future contracts with Pemex effect their space needs here. Also happened to see the other week that they had taken down an additional 100k sq ft in 1600 Smith. Anyone know how much space they are renting now? It's got to be over 700k in Brookfield's properties alone! Can't wait for more info on this one. :]

I recall Chevron bought another block Downtown last November. Their CEO has been adamant the HQ will stay out in California, but I would like to see more folks employed in Houston. I am hopeful we might get something bigger and taller as a result of the delay to this project.

I cannot believe this building is on hold. Chevron got money from the state and the city, then they put it on hold. They should be sued from the state and city because they already received the money.

Wasn't the money for relocating jobs? And they're paid in installments over years.

I wonder who's in line to be the next CEO?  I would imagine that is not determined yet, but the personal preferences of people at that level have a lot to do with HQ relocations.

i was wondering the same thing.. hopefully the new CEO is more inclined to relocate.. heh

• Like 1

I cannot believe this building is on hold.  Chevron got money from the state and the city, then they put it on hold.  They should be sued from the state and city because they already received the money.

Sorry to muddy up a good rant with facts, but the incentives (both state and city) were based on job creation (not necessarily relocation).  The incentives were not based on the construction of a new building. 

Further, the city's incentive is a tax abatement on a portion of the increased value of the property arising out of the construction of the new building.  No new building -- no abatement.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/06/chevron-makes-major-land-buy-in-katy/

As it continues to boost its Houston-area presence, Chevron Corp. has signed an agreement to buy 103 acres off the Grand Parkway and Clay Road in Katy.

The land  gives the company “future research and development facilities flexibility,” spokesman Justin Higgs said. “No specific use or employee decisions have been made,”  he added.

The deal cements Chevron’s commitment to Houston.

While the San Ramon, Calif.-based oil giant recently shelved plans to build a 50-story tower downtown, Higgs said the company is still committed to building the office project.

"Shelved" is a strong word to use here. "Delayed" seems to more accurately match what the Chevron execs are saying with respect to their tower. The delay could end up being a blessing--particularly if the current CEO leaves and future execs wish to move the HQ from San Ramon to Houston.

• Like 1