Chevron Skyscraper Proposal At 1600 Louisiana St.

ricco67

3 hours ago, htownproud said:

I'm sure we all want the new building built, but let's not kick a gift horse in the mouth.  Chevron is the only major that has remained downtown.  Two weeks ago they announced they were closing facilities father out to concentrate their employees downtown.  Be happy they didn't do the opposite and move people farther out, like every other company in Houston is doing.  

Is it a tax issue that's driving large corporations out of downtown?  Or, do they just not like the downtown environment?

1 hour ago, MarathonMan said:

Is it a tax issue that's driving large corporations out of downtown?  Or, do they just not like the downtown environment?

My simple guess is rents and construction costs. They also build closer in the burbs where most of their employees live.

On 7/19/2016 at 3:37 PM, Houston19514 said:

I missed that announcement.  Do you have a link or source?

I saw there was an article in the Chronicle about this today.  Here's a blurb:  

Chevron is selling two of its larger Houston-area real estate holdings, including more than 100 acres on the west side of town and a 10-story office building in Bellaire. The Bellaire facility at 4800 Fournace Place near the West Loop is being sold as part of an effort to "maximize our office space usage," Chevron spokesman Cam Van Ast said in an email Friday.

Employees who work in the building will move by the end of 2017.  The Bellaire facility at 4800 Fournace Place near the West Loop is being sold as part of an effort to "maximize our office space usage," Chevron spokesman Cam Van Ast said in an email Friday.  Chevron is selling two of its larger Houston-area real estate holdings, including more than 100 acres on the west side of town and a 10-story office building in Bellaire.

The second property for sale includes 103 acres at Clay Road and the Grand Parkway. The company bought it about two years ago for a research and development facility. Cushman & Wakefield is marketing the site. 

Texas "remains the global center for our upstream business and other functions and we expect to continue to be a long-term partner to the city and state," Van Ast said.”

• Like 3

On July 20, 2016 at 11:24 PM, htownproud said:

Internal Chevron email a few weeks ago.  They are leaving the Bellaire facility and moving people downtown (a few will go to Briarpark facility).  

Is there a lot of open office space downtown? Surely that doesn't mean they're building the tower, does it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2016 at 8:16 PM, lockmat said:

Is there a lot of open office space downtown? Surely that doesn't mean they're building the tower, does it?

Building on what CREguy13 said, Chevron subleased 345,000 sf of Devon's space at Two Allen Center in 2013, a couple of years after signing a seven year renewal on 311,000 sf at Continental Center I (1600 Smith Street).  

However, United Airlines is in the process of downsizing by a half million square feet -- most of that in 1600 Smith.  At the time of the 2010 merger, Continental occupied at least 700,000 sf downtown  (220,000 at Continental Center II, 600 Jefferson (now 1801 Smith) and 480,000 at Continental Center I).  They are now at half that, and when the contracts expire in a couple of years, they will leave completely for 609 Main at Texas.  I believe that lease was announced at 225,000 sf.  Chevron, unless unhappy with 1600 Smith, will have much more freedom simply expanding into United's vacated space than waiting years for a costly development to be built to suit.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

According to Emporis this building will be 859 feet tall, the fourth tallest downtown. Two more feet and it would be the third tallest.  I guess they are not interested in bragging rights. 

? At 859' it would be the third tallest downtown, fourth in the city. It would take more than two feet to surpass the second tallest, Wells Fargo Plaza (stands at 992').

• Like 2

I don't think Chevron has any interest in starting a new tower in Houston right now. The oil industry has not reached its comfort zone yet and they are still 

just treading water.

The downtown market needs to absorb some of this sublease space thats available in the millions of sq. ft.

We have one new tower built out and one under construction with lots of empty space in them. 

I'd be surprised if Linbeck starts construction up near market square until they have a couple of players ready to take multi floors.

7 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I don't think Chevron has any interest in starting a new tower in Houston right now. The oil industry has not reached its comfort zone yet and they are still 

just treading water.

The downtown market needs to absorb some of this sublease space thats available in the millions of sq. ft.

We have one new tower built out and one under construction with lots of empty space in them. 

I'd be surprised if Linbeck starts construction up near market square until they have a couple of players ready to take multi floors.

Our next best shot at a tower is the 1 Market Square tower. All it takes is 1 company to sign on for 15 floors to make assurances to the developer. The activity in Class A space downtown is pretty good considering.

• Like 2

Well seeing a new rendering can't be a bad thing although I don't see anything happening with this for a long while to come but it definitely causes me to raise an eyebrow. Somewhere in a corner office in Houston is a Clark W. Griswold looking at the rending of his pool just waiting for the ground to thaw so-to-speak...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wxman said:

Well seeing a new rendering can't be a bad thing although I don't see anything happening with this for a long while to come but it definitely causes me to raise an eyebrow. Somewhere in a corner office in Houston is a Clark W. Griswold looking at the rending of his pool just waiting for the ground to thaw so-to-speak...

Hopefully, he didn't float a check on a bonus he didn't yet receive......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

It was in 2013 from the state by the inept Perry administration for $12 million from the Texas Enterprise Fund. Six years later Chevron has yet to fulfill their part of the bargain. Besides, who’s to say they won’t pull an Exxon and move to the burbs, in this case The Woodlands? 

• Like 1