Who here relies on the bus system?

Who here relies on the bus system?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride the bus (not park and ride) on a daily basis?

For all the people here who have commentary, I want to know if anyone here besides me actually relies on the bus system on a daily basis. Because people that actually have to ride the (city) bus know how much our bus system sucks, that's why people clamor for an efficient multi-modal system.

Edited by Slick Vik

If your main problem is with the infrequency of bus service, then the solution would be to run the buses more frequently. Metro can do that without any added infrastructure.

Wouldn't they need to buy more buses? Also, they should do an evaluation, see which routes currently have the highest ridership, and see if there are other corridors that need service, because they need more routes, a big complaint of many is buses don't take you where you need to go. An example is the IAH airport bus, I know it failed, but they could've continued it running in some fashion, maybe smaller buses instead of the giant ones for only four people. Also they should've not bowed down to SuperShuttle and advertised it, it's a MUCH better deal financially for a consumer. Also, if they have right of way for university and uptown lines, start a BRT at least, which it seems Uptown is doing itself now.

Yes, they would need to buy more buses, but I have to submit that the cost for that would be much lower than constructing even one mile of LRT. I'll reserve judgement on BRT til I see what uptown does with it.

I have to say SuperShuttle is awesome. I don't ever drive and park at the airport anymore.

I wouldn't say daily, but I use it several times a week. The timetables are relatively worthless, or you can use them to get the general frequency of the buses and not much more. I have had drivers intentionally drive past me I suppose because they were behind schedule. I file complaints, but who knows if those are ever acted on.

I like the new app.

For all the people here who have commentary, I want to know if anyone here besides me actually relies on the bus system on a daily basis. Because people that actually have to ride the (city) bus know how much our bus system sucks, that's why people clamor for an efficient multi-modal system.

On another thread you just claimed to have a Mercedes. If that is true, then you do not rely on the bus system, you choose to use it. To say otherwise is a misrepresentation.

However, as I'm becoming increasingly convinced that you are trolling, I'm not sure what to believe any more.

On another thread you just claimed to have a Mercedes. If that is true, then you do not rely on the bus system, you choose to use it. To say otherwise is a misrepresentation.

However, as I'm becoming increasingly convinced that you are trolling, I'm not sure what to believe any more.

I own a bicycle. Are only pedestrians allowed to rely on a bus system or something?

He also claimed to walk to work in another thread. He travels more than all of us in still another thread. If he flies everywhere, walks every day to work, and has a Mercedes, he most assuredly does not take the bus daily.

But, he still wants to dictate what we should do.

I own a bicycle. Are only pedestrians allowed to rely on a bus system or something?

Yes, because that's the meaning of the word rely. It means be dependent on. By definition if you have another means of transportation to use. You aren't relying on the bus.

I know that it sounds nit-picky, but there's a lot manipulation and flat out falsification going on in this conversation. It would be really nice to have a rational conversation about transit, but it just doesn't seem to be possible.

Yes, because that's the meaning of the word rely. It means be dependent on. By definition if you have another means of transportation to use. You aren't relying on the bus.

So what if I turn your definition on its head by pointing out that walking the entire way is another means of transportation, therefore nobody relies on the bus?

I know that it sounds nit-picky, but there's a lot manipulation and flat out falsification going on in this conversation. It would be really nice to have a rational conversation about transit, but it just doesn't seem to be possible.

I'd expand the meaning to include pedestrians and cyclists as it's impractical to travel from one side of town to another just by bicycle unless you're just doing it for fun. Having a bike with you, though, can greatly expand the usefulness of the bus system since it can connect you to places off the bus route at the source or destination of your journey.

So what if I turn your definition on its head by pointing out that walking the entire way is another means of transportation, therefore nobody relies on the bus?

Sorry, I let my irritation get to me for a moment. I agree with August. My point is that I don't consider it accurate for someone to say that they "rely" on the bus if they have a car. As I mentioned, rely implies dependence.

I had to rely on the bus after Alison, since my care got flooded and took 4 weeks to repair. The buses were fine, other than taking 3 times as long as driving would have, which is the nature of buses.

Edited by Ross

How about we get back to the topic at hand, instead of attacking the OP's transportation choices?  If he's a liar, then he's a liar.  You called him on it, now let's move on.   If you don't have something to post about the bus system, then move on to the next thread.

I take the bus to work and walk back. I do own a Mercedes but don't drive it much because I don't need to. In the mornings it's not practical to walk 35 minutes to get to the office on time, so yes I rely on the bus. Also the bus is $1.25 a trip, parking is $120-$200 a month.

He also claimed to walk to work in another thread. He travels more than all of us in still another thread. If he flies everywhere, walks every day to work, and has a Mercedes, he most assuredly does not take the bus daily.

But, he still wants to dictate what we should do.

You're wrong yet again. Please attempt to stay on topic.

Do you ride the bus, yes or no?

No need to triple post, Slick, Editor defended criticisms and steered the topic back to normal. In reality, I think you'll find results disappointing, as HAIFers do not, in fact, represent a good cross-section of Houston.

Sorry about that I'm on my iPhone so it won't put multiple quotes into one post

I rode the bus to work for two years. I don't do park & ride, there's a bus stop 1/2 a mile from my house. I'm not riding much now because I have a leased car that I need to put some miles on. I'm way under the allowed miles. Once that lease is over in September I'll be riding every weekday. In the two years I rode the bus I was only late to work once. The bus broke down and I had to wait about 1/2 an hour. Other than that the bus was almost always within 5 minutes of being right on time. My experience has been that metro buses are reliable and on time. There's a much better change of me being late to the bus stop then the bus being late.

My wife rode the bus for about 1 year to the med center when we were a 1 car family and I had a commute and off-nominal work hours that made taking the P&R/Bike take over twice as long. In that time she rode the bus 9 times every two weeks, and took the train every other saturday when the bus wasn't running the route she needed. She was late to work one time because of a broken down bus by about 15 minutes. Her only complaint were the occasional sketchy people around when waiting for the bus at 5:45 in the morning, otherwise the bus was there within the same 5 minute window most days.

She now works somewhere (downtown) where she could take the bus, but her garage is paid for and we have a second car, driving is faster, more convenient (garage to garage) and probably cheaper for her two mile commute. But if a car were to break down, she has the option that she feels she could rely on.

We also take the bus downtown on occasion for concerts and events where we'll be drinking, then cab it home. I'm looking forward to using the new app to get better timing info on the buses next time we do that.

My wife rode the bus for about 1 year to the med center when we were a 1 car family and I had a commute and off-nominal work hours that made taking the P&R/Bike take over twice as long. In that time she rode the bus 9 times every two weeks, and took the train every other saturday when the bus wasn't running the route she needed. She was late to work one time because of a broken down bus by about 15 minutes. Her only complaint were the occasional sketchy people around when waiting for the bus at 5:45 in the morning, otherwise the bus was there within the same 5 minute window most days.

Park and ride buses are more reliable than local routes, I will give them that.

no.

a pedestrian can pedestriate. They don't need the bus.

There, we settled it, no one needs to take the bus, so we don't need metro. Shut it down.

So it's pretty disingenuous to make commentary when you don't even ride the bus. Why don't you ride it for a week, then get back to us.

It would be equally disingenous to comment on suburbs without living there as well, wouldn't it?

I used to rely on the bus back in high school.  I also used it to go to a summer job. 

They are just unreliable, but they can't help it due to being stuck in traffic like the normal car. 

They were fine otherwise, but METRO does need to beef up routes to have a bus coming every few minutes.