Who here relies on the bus system?

Who here relies on the bus system?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride the bus (not park and ride) on a daily basis?

So it's pretty disingenuous to make commentary when you don't even ride the bus. Why don't you ride it for a week, then get back to us.

The fact that I do not ride the bus, does not mean that I have not ridden the bus. Given that I work from home, riding the bus is reasonably unproductive for me.

Yes I rely on the bus.  No, I don't think investing in billions of dollars of more rail is the solution.  The bus system is the life blood of the Metro system.  It is the brain, heart and skeleton of the system.  The rail "system" we have amounts to three fingers.  If the body is rotting does it make sense to add more fingers or to rehabilitate the body?  I'm on the bus system re-imagining committee and it's refreshing all light rail talk is limited on how it will interact with a more robust and improved bus system instead of dominating the discussion with no regard or even acknowledgement of the bus system as has been the rule for a decade.  Slick, you are what's wrong with the transit discussion in this region.  You don't bring any viable solutions, only a child's wishlist.  

Edited by MetroMogul
  • Like 3

Yes I rely on the bus.  No, I don't think investing in billions of dollars of more rail is the solution.  The bus system is the life blood of the Metro system.  It is the brain, heart and skeleton of the system.  The rail "system" we have amounts to three fingers.  If the body is rotting does it make sense to add more fingers or to rehabilitate the body?  I'm on the bus system re-imagining committee and it's refreshing all light rail talk is limited on how it will interact with a more robust and improved bus system instead of dominating the discussion with no regard or even acknowledgement of the bus system as has been the rule for a decade.  Slick, you are what's wrong with the transit discussion in this region.  You don't bring any viable solutions, only a child's wishlist.  

I didn't say the bus system should be forgotten. A good rail system with buses feeding into it and BRT as a compliment would be best. But go ahead, put all the money in buses and see where that goes. Sooner or later people will clamor for something better. It's just a matter of time with the increase in population and rising gas prices. Buses are the fingers, rail is the heart.

Yes I rely on the bus.  No, I don't think investing in billions of dollars of more rail is the solution.  The bus system is the life blood of the Metro system.  It is the brain, heart and skeleton of the system.

We can do both. We can invest billions in rail (and by we I mean, the United States) and also invest locally and with federal money in a robust bus system.

A good transit system will have both.  I'm glad you're on the re-imagining committee, I hope the system really improves. 

Good to have someone with a direct voice in the process hanging out here.  Can you give us any updates on what ideas the committee is mulling over?

• 4 weeks later...